Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california

I really don't understand the hate for the new look. Yeah, it's totally unnecessary, but at least it's well-done and somewhat slick. Address book is a different story though...Apple blew it on that one.

By the way - to those that have iPhones, why do you need iCal and Address Book on your Mac? Isn't it much easier to access it on your phone, which is with you at all times? I've never had a use for iCal or Address Book.

Anyway, thanks for the tip nonetheless.

djrod

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
I really don't understand the hate for the new look. Yeah, it's totally unnecessary, but at least it's well-done and somewhat slick. Address book is a different story though...Apple blew it on that one.

By the way - to those that have iPhones, why do you need iCal and Address Book on your Mac? Isn't it much easier to access it on your phone, which is with you at all times? I've never had a use for iCal or Address Book.

Anyway, thanks for the tip nonetheless.

I don't really care about the new design but I now there is a lot of people that hates the new iCal so…

About that iPhone thing, is so much easy to create a schedule with a Mac than with an iOs device (for me, at least)

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Thank you, I have been waiting for something like this! I've updated my iCal.

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Interesting. This is the same fix as appeared before release; I was hoping for something improved, as to me the extra grey space under the toolbar is as bad as if not worse than the leather look. Might try it if someone could remove that too.

My main issue with it is that we were -that close- to a unified GUI on OS X, after 10 years of trying - removing the scrollbars was a sort of coup de grace. And then Apple had to go and beat the dead horse that resulted, like they couldn't bear the consistency, even though it should be the ultimate goal.

iCal is the worst case scenario - an app now blatantly designed for Fullscreen mode, as in no way, shape or form does it fit in if onscreen with other windows, and it is an app that you most likely want open most of the time. Address Book has done a much better job with the metaphor look, but it was still undeniably unnecessary. In contrast, it flies in the face of Fullscreen apps, not even allowing width enough to fit contact details in some cases. In summary the new look would have made a nice new Dashboard widget, but as the app has always had a pretty ugly UI, I am more forgiving.

Clear it is much easier to deal with the desktop apps than their iOS equivalents though, and with the imperfect syncing at least with Exchange still rearing its ugly head, I would sooner lose the iOS one - generally when I need to know about appointments I am at a computer anyway, less so for an iDevice.

Adding to the mix we now have iCloud, and the early impression videos show a calendar that looks much improved over Lion iCal! Same style, but with the sidebar returned, the main other gripe with it in Lion, and maybe even resizable reminder text? Madness :eek:!

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
Interesting. This is the same fix as appeared before release; I was hoping for something improved, as to me the extra grey space under the toolbar is as bad as if not worse than the leather look. Might try it if someone could remove that too.[...]
Many apps have some sort of toolbar in that space that does not extend across to the right so it ends up being similar height with an empty grey area too, but overall I agree with you, I'd rather the space be gone. It is not much space though. It is essentially where in the faux leather themed titlebar you have the fake stitches pattern and remnants of pages that did not "tear off" perfectly :D Overall I like the consistent UI without the hideous faux leather much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.