Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Civilization is the one game (series) I'd keep if I were allowed only 1 game. There's no simpler way of saying it. Though I'd miss Colonization. If you were a fan of the original Civ: Colonization from 1994, get the new one. It's worth it.

So what's the Universal Binary situation with the earlier Civ titles (now that Rosetta is gone)?

Specifically I'm looking for non-Rosetta OS X ports of Civ 1, 2 and 3.

Personal observations about the series:

I played Civ 1 back in 1993 on my Amiga 500. It got me hooked. It remains my favourite, but only for sentimental reasons. Was there ever a Mac port of this version? I've got a version that runs in DosBox, and play it regularly, but I'd prefer it if some enterprising person actually ported this to OS X as a Universal Binary.

I played Civ 2 for a little while around 1999 or so (on my old Power Mac) but couldn't really get into it due to other demands on my time. I enjoyed it but not as much as Civ 1, probably because I didn't spend enough time with it.

Never played Civ 3.

I'm getting my head around Civ 4 at the moment and having a blast.

Civ 5 . . . that's for my next Mac to run. However, from what I read of Civ 5 here:

http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html

. . . I'm very hesitant to even think of touching it.

I must admit, I'm not used to Civ being so graphically-oriented these days. It's a bit of a distraction, to be honest, but I'll get around that soon enough. Civ is still Civ, after all. ;)

I tried FreeCiv, but it just doesn't feel the same (even though it's an almost exact port of Civ 2.) Maybe I'll give it a fair shot in a few days.

From what I've read and what I can tell, Civ 4 seems to be the best in the series so far. Though quite a few folks swear by Civ 2 (which means I should really try FreeCiv.)

Cheers

Last edited:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Civ I and II were never even ported to OS X, but you might be able to run the PC versions in something like Parallels or Crossover. You can find a Universal patch for Civ III here.

Cboss

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2008
Colorado
I've played since Civ III and I don't think you have anything to worry about with Civ V. I've played many games without any of the problems mentioned in the site you linked. I actually prefer Civ V over Civ IV, with III being my favorite so far.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Civ IV is worse than heroin.

I blew most of last night on it. And I was barely scratching the surface. When I finally took Thebes to finish off the Egyptians the level of satisfaction I felt can only be compared to when I did the same in Civ 1 back in 1993 as a kid. No other game could do that since. Except another Civ game many years later. Go figure.

I've got Civ 1 in Windows and DOS format (auto-run DosBox for Mac) so I'm covered there. I can always install XP or something. Ditto for Civ 2. Plus there's FreeCiv (almost an exact unit for unit clone of Civ 2) which I'll look into a bit later. Civ 3 is one I really want to try. The installers are PPC and I need Rosetta, so that's out unless I get a Windows version, or just install SL alongside Lion or run it virtually.

Just having too much fun with Civ 4 right now. Sometimes it would take me days of planning to work out what the next few turns would be in Civ 1. I'm getting back into that groove with Civ 4. Nice to see.

I need the game world in Civ 4 to be larger, though. So I'll have to try to max out the size settings.

Do the expansion packs for Civ 4 (Warlords and Beyond the Sword) increase map sizes? Either way, both packs look extremely good.

Even if I wanted to play Civ 5 my Mac wouldn't handle it. Unless graphics set to low or medium (will probably lag on medium) still look good. Then again, when was Civ about graphics? ;)

Thanks for putting up with my newfound Civ enthusiasm, guys.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
The installers are PPC and I need Rosetta, so that's out unless I get a Windows version, or just install SL alongside Lion or run it virtually.

Or install it on a SL machine (friend's or an external partition), install patch, and then drag it to your Lion disk.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Civ1 .. get the DOS version and play with DosBox or Boxer

Civ2 and 3 are *supposedly* playable with Wine, as are Civ4 and 5 (which I've actually ran and works)... so you can maybe port them with Wineskin, which runs fine on Lion

soLoredd

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2007
California
I play Civ 5 a lot and I run it on low/medium settings. It's fine, takes nothing away from the game. I was a huge Civ 4 player, still do from time to time but I love the changes in Civ 5 (no unnecessary roads to build anymore, didn't care for religion/much prefer diplomacy and city-states).

And yes, the Civ 4 expansions were very good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.