PDA

View Full Version : Which video/movie player for Lion??

Skika
Aug 2, 2011, 05:00 PM
Vlc- its great but crashes ALOT

Quicktime X- Doesn't play .mkv anymore (lol why)

MplayerX- weird stuttering going full screen

Plex- Doesn't support certain subtitles (many of which i watch), and mutes system audio after usage.

What do you use? What would u recommend ? I really watch a lot of movies and anime.

CyBeRino
Aug 2, 2011, 05:10 PM

Plex- Doesn't support certain subtitles (many of which i watch), and mutes system audio after usage.

What do you use? What would u recommend ? I really watch a lot of movies and anime.

Quicktime X plays mkvs fine for me (need Perian though). It sucks with full-screen though since I have two monitors. When I have that problem I tend to use mplayerx, which does not stutter for me at all.

You could also look at movist, and subler for turning your MKVs into MP4s.

Skika
Aug 2, 2011, 06:04 PM
Quicktime X plays mkvs fine for me (need Perian though). It sucks with full-screen though since I have two monitors. When I have that problem I tend to use mplayerx, which does not stutter for me at all.

You could also look at movist, and subler for turning your MKVs into MP4s.

Well this really sucks. I can't play videos in 2011. Good stuff i tell you.

Excuse me while i hang myself.

BiggAW
Aug 2, 2011, 06:09 PM
I LOVE VLC. I don't install codecs anymore, as VLC has them all onboard. Plus, there's an iPod/Android remote program that works great.

derbothaus
Aug 2, 2011, 06:14 PM
Movist is great for my mkv's at 720p. Low CPU use. like 5-10% on my 2.8 Core2duo. That's without HW acceleration.

Skika
Aug 2, 2011, 06:25 PM
Movist is great for my mkv's at 720p. Low CPU use. like 5-10% on my 2.8 Core2duo. That's without HW acceleration.

Crashes and crashes. I dunno man. Something is seriously messed up here i guess.

3bs
Aug 2, 2011, 06:35 PM
I've never had any problems with vlc. The only thing I think it should have is to allow you to have several windows open like quicktime(which I never use)

derbothaus
Aug 2, 2011, 06:53 PM
Crashes and crashes. I dunno man. Something is seriously messed up here i guess.

Did you install perian and/or flip4mac? I've never had an issue with either of those 2 "extensions". You can continue to use QT X with them freshly installed.

kuwisdelu
Aug 2, 2011, 07:07 PM
I haven't had any problems with MPlayerX. You could try downloading MPlayer OS X Extended instead and see if that solves whatever issues you're having with it.

mobtek
Aug 2, 2011, 07:37 PM
VLC, Quicktime etc work fine for me on lion, mplayer os x I rarely use but it hasn't crashed yet either, just make sure you have Perian and Flip4Mac installed :D

Steve's Barber
Aug 2, 2011, 08:04 PM
MplayerX. One stop video player. Plays anything I throw at it. It can even re-synch audio that's out of whack just like VLC does.

I did like VLC player but that annoying "playlist" window that always opened was useless and I got tired of closing it.

Watabou
Aug 2, 2011, 08:35 PM
I only have VLC installed and it works great. I watch a lot of movies too and I don't get any crashes :confused:

Movist is also a great alternative though. Never had a problem with it on SL. But to me, VLC is always the king. :)

cibby
Aug 3, 2011, 01:29 AM
Perian let's me watch mkv via QuickTime only if I preview the file. If I actually try to open it in QuickTime it will try loading the file for 10 mins before telling me it's not compatible. Does that happen for anyone else?

Skika
Aug 3, 2011, 04:31 AM
Perian let's me watch mkv via QuickTime only if I preview the file. If I actually try to open it in QuickTime it will try loading the file for 10 mins before telling me it's not compatible. Does that happen for anyone else?

Yep, that is what happens to me too.

Bazzybaz
Aug 3, 2011, 04:39 AM
I use Perian but have brought Quicktime 7.6.4 onto Lion, as Quicktime 10 is rubbish, and it all works fine.

I do have VLC as well and haven't had any problems with it crashing although haven't used it much recently.

iBug2
Aug 3, 2011, 05:31 AM
I use VLC, and Mplayer. Both of them are quite stable. Mplayer never ever crashes, VLC crashes very rarely. There's also Plex, which is a bit crowded for a player app, but it's also a quite stable one and supports hardware decoding on 9400M chipset macs.

mattpreston11
Aug 3, 2011, 07:42 AM
I LOVE VLC. I don't install codecs anymore, as VLC has them all onboard. Plus, there's an iPod/Android remote program that works great.

+1

Never had a problem with VLC, the remote app works pretty well. 9/10 for the remote app.

CyBeRino
Aug 3, 2011, 12:48 PM

If you're getting that many crashes with such different software, you should likely see about testing your memory.

MplayerX, Movist and VLC are based on different engines so unless you have a particularly bad mkv file, I don't think the players are doing something wrong.

lcs101
Aug 3, 2011, 01:19 PM
VLC rarely crashes on me. It is by far my favorite.

derbothaus
Aug 3, 2011, 01:39 PM
Yep, that is what happens to me too.

On all your mkv's or only certain ones. Audio codecs can sometimes be tricky if they are ogg or something.

rezzo
Aug 3, 2011, 02:58 PM
MPlayer OSX Extended or Movist.

VLC = crap.

kuwisdelu
Aug 3, 2011, 03:04 PM

I use Perian but have brought Quicktime 7.6.4 onto Lion, as Quicktime 10 is rubbish, and it all works fine.

I do have VLC as well and haven't had any problems with it crashing although haven't used it much recently.

Yeah, QuickTime X will try to play it using the new AVFoundation libraries. You need to bring over QuickTime 7 from an older OS or download it. I remux all my anime to m4v, but still need to use QuickTime 7 or MPlayer to play it since QuickTime X still can't handle H.264 high profile at level 5 or higher. And only MPlayer can currently play 10-bit H.264 flawlessly on OS X. I was hoping AVFoundation and QuickTime X would be improved in this regard in Lion, but alas, it's still lacking.

BiggAW
Aug 3, 2011, 07:22 PM
+1

Never had a problem with VLC, the remote app works pretty well. 9/10 for the remote app.

Yeah, it's amazing. Only problem I have is you have to re-install the server app for the remote every time VLC updates... I can never seem to find the thing, so I have to search through my email... yeah lol.

ijoat38
Aug 3, 2011, 08:28 PM
As my title says I use VLC and only VLC. Admittedly the older versions were really buggy, but since Leopard, I haven't had a crash in like forever. I have a Powermac DC G5 via Leopard that runs all my HD movie content in Dolby Digital and Dts. It runs almost 24/7 on my daughters iMac and frequently gets used on my Macbook when I'm out and about.

SerrQ
Aug 3, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm only using VLC and always have, never had any problem with it. If you haven't tried it, you should.

Good luck!

Spacemarine
Aug 6, 2011, 03:11 AM
Which of these players has the lowest CPU usage, or makes use of the GPU the most? My Mid 2011 MBA has the iGPU HD 3000, which shoukd be pretty fast, but in VLC I get CPU usage of about 40-90 %, depending on the movie (all 1080p mkv)

kuwisdelu
Aug 6, 2011, 03:23 AM
Which of these players has the lowest CPU usage, or makes use of the GPU the most? My Mid 2011 MBA has the iGPU HD 3000, which shoukd be pretty fast, but in VLC I get CPU usage of about 40-90 %, depending on the movie (all 1080p mkv)

No 3rd party player is going to have hardware acceleration, at least not good hardware acceleration. I generally find MPlayer superior to VLC for mkv's, though, particularly those with subtitles.

Most mkv's are already in H.264, though, so if you want to take advantage of the hardware acceleration in Quicktime X, remux it to m4v using an app like Subler. That's assuming it's less than high profile level 5, of course...

ETA: And the Intel HD 3000 has never been "pretty fast." Maybe "fast enough."

miknos
Aug 6, 2011, 10:44 AM
Movist:
Has the best visual interface and subtitles are smooth. You have to set the ffmpeg codec as default. I have perian installed so don't know if it makes any difference. Problem is when I try to watch certain HD movies, the cpu spikes. Movist is my default for most videos.

VLC: It is UGLY (I had to install a skin http://hirolabs.de/download_vlc_blackpearl.php). I use it to play HD movies and it works great. Make sure you download the latest 64bit version. For some reason I can watch 720p (2GB) movies @ 15% cpu in my Intel X3100 (Macbook).

Patrick J
Aug 6, 2011, 11:46 AM
I use MPlayerX.

MrWaffles
Aug 6, 2011, 01:12 PM
I end up going back and forth between MplayerX and VLC. I know VLC will play everything and I usually use it for HD, but I like the controls of mplayer and the fact that it automatically plays the next show in a series. They are both pretty good.

Spacemarine
Aug 18, 2011, 10:28 AM
No 3rd party player is going to have hardware acceleration, at least not good hardware acceleration.

Why? Under Windows, 3rd party players have pretty good hardware acceleration.

err404
Aug 18, 2011, 10:41 AM
I used to use VLC, but have recently been using MPlayerX.
Both have been extremely stable and I only prefer MPlayerX because of it's more minimal UI.

Unfortunately nothing is playing DTS\DD audio correctly right now under Lion, but that appears to more of an OS issue.

As for the crashes that OP is experiencing; while it could be memory, I would expect that to express itself as kernel panics more often then app crashes. It's more likely that he has some malformed videos. Many of the all-in-one apps are based around ffmpeg and could fail for the same reason.

err404
Aug 18, 2011, 10:56 AM

As others have said, most third party players primarily use software decoding, but there has been some movement to use HW decoding for some formats like H.264. Plex, for example has some limited HW support.
As for the GPU; It's not a gaming part, but I feel that the HD 3000 is plenty fast for the video apps available today (it's not your bottleneck). Assuming that your CPU can keep up, there is plenty of bandwidth to output 1080p video through software rendering. Even my old Mac Mini with a GMA950 has no trouble with 1080p video (assuming the CPU is keeping up).The HD 3000 HW decoding should also be plenty fast for software that utilizes it.

C64
Aug 18, 2011, 11:47 AM
I always use VLC. Can't recall it ever crashed with any kind of video. Also very customizable and love all the various keyboard shortcuts like fixing audio/subtitle delays, making screen shots, etc. CPU usage is pretty low, even with 1080p vids.

macrem
Aug 18, 2011, 04:44 PM
I use QuickTime whenever possible & VLC for everything else.

stevenpa
Aug 18, 2011, 08:12 PM
I only have VLC installed and it works great. I watch a lot of movies too and I don't get any crashes :confused:

Movist is also a great alternative though. Never had a problem with it on SL. But to me, VLC is always the king. :)

This. And the fact that all codecs are installed.

Foogoofish
Aug 18, 2011, 08:28 PM
This. And the fact that all codecs are installed.

This. And the fact that you can set it as default and never have to consider what type of video file you are opening again.

Yamcha
Aug 18, 2011, 09:09 PM
I personally use VLC and haven't had any issues with it at all.. But you could also use quicktime codecs or try perian, it should enable you to play most formats without issue..

METOO999
Aug 18, 2011, 11:43 PM
I use MPlayerX for previewing videos mostly and XBMC nightlies for regular video viewing like with MKVs. I use VLC when XBMC screws up. I love the interface XBMC provides for my folders and it has excellent audio support. I don't know why, but MPlayerX has been slightly stuttery ever since I installed Lion. I also have Perian installed, of course.

aliensporebomb
Aug 21, 2011, 11:46 PM
Mplayer OS X Extended.
VLC gets 2nd place.

blipmusic
Aug 22, 2011, 02:43 AM
Since I upgraded to Lion any video I output to TV stutters (DVI -> scart - *cough* old CRT TV *cough* - on a mid 2007 MPB (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.2-15-santa-rosa-specs.html)). It's kind of watchable but incredibly annoying. This seems to be regardless of format/container as well.

Seems to happen regardless of player (VLC/Quitime with Perian/MPlayerX) in Lion and never happened in SL. Has anyone else experienced this?

I only have 2GB ram installed so perhaps it's a matter of Lion wanting to be fed some more. I'll probably try installing 4GB anyway, though.

Benbikeman
Aug 22, 2011, 06:00 AM
Yet another vote here for VLC. Plays absolutely everything.

----------

This. And the fact that you can set it as default and never have to consider what type of video file you are opening again.
How do you do that? I still find QT is the default for some videos. I'd love to just be able to tell Lion to use VLC for all video files.

JTToft
Aug 22, 2011, 06:51 AM
I use and recommend MPlayerX (free on the Mac App Store).

METOO999
Aug 22, 2011, 11:25 AM
Since I upgraded to Lion any video I output to TV stutters (DVI -> scart - *cough* old CRT TV *cough* - on a mid 2007 MPB (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.2-15-santa-rosa-specs.html)). It's kind of watchable but incredibly annoying. This seems to be regardless of format/container as well.

Seems to happen regardless of player (VLC/Quitime with Perian/MPlayerX) in Lion and never happened in SL. Has anyone else experienced this?

Are you putting the Macbook into clamshell mode? When I hook up my Macbook to the TV, I load up the video player, then close the lid so it outputs only to the TV. I think if you have the lid open, it's using up processing power for both screens.

I have a black Macbook C2D 2.0 GHz and it runs various containers up to 720p (1080p - forget it) smoothly on my TV.

BTW, there's an update for MPlayerX v1.0.8 since Aug. 18th.

uaecasher
Aug 22, 2011, 01:19 PM

VLC works great for me in Lion.

err404
Aug 22, 2011, 01:59 PM
How do you do that? I still find QT is the default for some videos. I'd love to just be able to tell Lion to use VLC for all video files.

Select 'Show Info' for a movie that is not correctly associated. Under file association, select VLC and click apply to all files. You may need to do this once for each file extension (AVI, MKV, MP4...)

Benbikeman
Aug 22, 2011, 05:50 PM
Cool, thanks, now done

unobtainium
Aug 22, 2011, 07:17 PM
I use and recommend MPlayerX (free on the Mac App Store).

What's the difference between MPlayerX and MPlayer OSX Extended? Is one of them updated more frequently? (I notice that only MplayerX is available in the App Store).

Wattser93
Aug 22, 2011, 09:35 PM
Has anybody found one that does 5.1 over HDMI?

VLC is killing me because 5.1 quit working over HDMI after the Lion update. I'm missing my 5.1 audio, 2 channel sucks.

It just needs to play .mkv, .avi, and .mp4 files. Those are the only files I ever use.

natejohnstone@g
Aug 22, 2011, 09:44 PM
Quicktime shutters like crazy on my late 2010 13" MBP, even non-HD files. There are audio-sync issues as well.

At first VLC no longer gave me the "Audio Device" option to use "HDMI-encoded," which I need to use to push audio to my receiver. But it seems to usually give that option again now, so it must have been a codec thing. But even so, thanks to Lion I'm not getting DTS/DD sound out of my MBP anyway no matter what I do.

So far I hate everything about Lion. The audio is just so screwed up across the board, monochrome finder, and my battery life is literally down 40%!

Lion is Apple's answer to Windows Vista.

badsector
Aug 22, 2011, 10:35 PM
my third day on a mac

My fav is Mplayer OS X Extended.
VLC crushes on rmvb files often. especially when skipping track

maybe i should test movist too

Chase R
Aug 23, 2011, 12:15 AM
VLC for me. I play 720p & 1080p mkvs, mp4s, and anything else I throw at it. Hasn't crashed yet.

Just be sure to disable "file memory mapping" in the preferences. That caused a lot of memory problems for me!

Oh and just throwing this out there. Why does Apple despise MKVs so much? What did Matroska ever do to Apple?

blipmusic
Aug 23, 2011, 10:52 AM
Are you putting the Macbook into clamshell mode? When I hook up my Macbook to the TV, I load up the video player, then close the lid so it outputs only to the TV. I think if you have the lid open, it's using up processing power for both screens.

I have a black Macbook C2D 2.0 GHz and it runs various containers up to 720p (1080p - forget it) smoothly on my TV.

BTW, there's an update for MPlayerX v1.0.8 since Aug. 18th.

Thanks for the tip. Sadly, still the same issue. :/

Fullscreen on the MBP screen in native resolution works fine, outputting it to TV: stutter. These aren't even 720p and all played fine on SL.

Tried the MPlayerX update, no difference. [EDIT: Still choppy in 10.7.1, by the way.]

What happens is that every half second or so there is a small but noticable stutter, as if the video buffers due to low memory. It seems to play smoothly between these small hickups. No resource draining background services or app running in the background either.

I didn't do clean Lion install, perhaps there are some older stuff left udnerneath. Or simply the case of Lion wanting to be fed more ram - on the other hand, we should have seen more reports of this if insufficient ram was the case.

Oh well, I'll live.

JTToft
Aug 24, 2011, 07:28 AM
What's the difference between MPlayerX and MPlayer OSX Extended? Is one of them updated more frequently? (I notice that only MplayerX is available in the App Store).

- I haven't the slightest idea.
MPlayerX has been getting updates via the Mac App Store about once a month, I'd say, since I first downloaded it some months ago.

Queen6
Sep 2, 2011, 11:25 AM
VLC as is has regular updates and is very effecent in CPU usage, I prefer the functionality of Movist and its GUI, just feels much more OS X, however it`s around 3% - 5% more overhead in CPU useage in comparison to VLC. MplayerX runs two separate processes; Mplayer & MplayerX, which adds complexity to the system.

MplayerX looks to run around 10% - 15% more CPU load than VLC, and generally has the highest overheads if you are concerned about battery life I would rate them as follows VLC, Movist, MplayerX

For my Air I will go for VLC, on the road VLC is still one to beat thanks to it`s frugal CPU usage. Overall Movist gives the best OS X experience and battery life is still reasonable, VLC is more efficient, although it does feels a more like a Windows app :apple:

sanke1
Sep 2, 2011, 11:07 PM
Custom build of Movist with updated ffdshow. It sends DD and DTS signals to receiver. It crashes on first but on 2nd attempt, my receiver shows the DD and DTS symbols. It's subtitle rendering is the best I have ever seen. The subtitles can be pushed in to the black movie borders is huge bonus.

VLC on OSX Lion is useless POS.

treestar
Sep 2, 2011, 11:09 PM
Custom build of Movist with updated ffdshow. It sends DD and DTS signals to receiver. It crashes on first but on 2nd attempt, my receiver shows the DD and DTS symbols. It's subtitle rendering is the best I have ever seen. The subtitles can be pushed in to the black movie borders is huge bonus.

I use the new 64 bit version of VLC on Lion and it is much faster than Movist.

Benbikeman
Sep 3, 2011, 03:36 AM
Works perfectly here.

niewiesznic
Sep 3, 2011, 09:22 AM
I use PYM Player. http://pym.uce.pl/pymplayer.html