Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hey guys,

I've had an Apple ID since around 2003 and it's just a name "aaronxx" for example.

I want now to change it so as it's the same as my twitter account.

You CAN change your apple ID, however, when I delete "aaronxx" and enter a new name it says "enter a valid email address".

When did apple ID's change to actual email addressees?

Can you no longer just have a username?

Thanks in advance.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Hey guys,

I've had an Apple ID since around 2003 and it's just a name "aaronxx" for example.

You CAN change your apple ID, however, when I delete "aaronxx" and enter a new name it says "enter a valid email address".

Thanks in advance.

since at least the original iphone came out

you have to have an email address as it now.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
since at least the original iphone came out

you have to have an email address as it now.

So iCloud works with your normal email and not some kind of apple email address?

When you log into iTunes your username is email@email.com as opposed to a wee username?

Thanks for the answer

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
Wow, I have just a single word as a username as well. I've had a an iTunes account since about 2001 or so. Last time I looked about a year ago, you were still able to change from an email address to just a username by going to an Apple website.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Several years ago I emailed iTunes Store support, and asked them to remove the "@email.com" portion of my Apple ID, leaving just a traditional user name. They were very helpful, and didn't give me any problems.

To be honest, Apple's current system still gives me headaches. Between .Mac and MobileMe and (former) employee accounts, I have well over five Apple IDs (not counting my non-email Apple ID used for iTunes). It's so confusing.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

I first got an iTunes account when I got my first iPod, a 1st gen nano, whenever they came out, and I just had a simple user name then. I can't say for certain, but I suspect the change happened when .mac became mobile me. You can no longer get a new account with a non-email address ID, but as far as I can tell, old ones still work (but whether they will when iCloud is officially launced is anyones guess)

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Several years ago I emailed iTunes Store support, and asked them to remove the "@email.com" portion of my Apple ID, leaving just a traditional user name. They were very helpful, and didn't give me any problems.

To be honest, Apple's current system still gives me headaches. Between .Mac and MobileMe and (former) employee accounts, I have well over five Apple IDs (not counting my non-email Apple ID used for iTunes). It's so confusing.

I always thought they were the same!

When I bought my first Mac (iBook G4) I bought it with my Apple ID "aaronxx".

When I recieved my Mac I signed up for a .Mac trial and I thought that when I entered "aaronxx" as the @mac.com address I wanted.

I've always thought that they were the one Apple ID however I've just found out that my iTunes and Apple ID is "aaronxx" but the "aaronxx@mac.com" is a completely different thing. :S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.