PDA

View Full Version : About this mac

3bs
Aug 2, 2011, 07:05 PM
For some reason when I go to About This Mac> More Info> Storage, The amount it says is Free(58gb) is actually different from the amount that's free in the bottom of a Finder window(69gb). I think In About this mac it's also counting the backups while in finder it's not cause backups is about 10gb at the moment. Why is this happening and why do I have these backups (which I think are the local snapshots for time machine) when my laptop is almost always connected to my time capsule??

Clark Kent
Aug 2, 2011, 07:13 PM
For some reason when I go to About This Mac> More Info> Storage, The amount it says is Free(58gb) is actually different from the amount that's free in the bottom of a Finder window(69gb). I think In About this mac it's also counting the backups while in finder it's not cause backups is about 10gb at the moment. Why is this happening and why do I have these backups (which I think are the local snapshots for time machine) when my laptop is almost always connected to my time capsule??

This explains how local snapshots work: http://web.me.com/pondini/Time_Machine/30.html

They are stored regardless of whether or not you are currently connected to your Time Machine backups as long as you have Time Machine turned on and are using a laptop. It's so you can disconnect from your backup and be able to access your most recent backups if necessary.

3bs
Aug 2, 2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks CK. Some useful info on that link

Patrick J
Aug 5, 2011, 07:03 AM
Excellent link. Thanks.