PDA

View Full Version : Lion Broke Mac Mini Superdrive?

PP133
Aug 2, 2011, 07:23 PM
Hey guys, I'm assisting my sister-in-law with her superdrive issues. She has a Mac Mini, maybe 2-3 years old. Since they installed Lion, the mini won't read any discs.

She's tried music discs, software, discs that have worked in the past and some new ones, but nothing. I was logged in via TeamViewer (remote desktop for computer support) and had Disk Util open, verified that Superdrive was there on the left-hand side, but it never showed any disc content when she loaded a disc. iTunes also wouldn't show any music content or prompt to import music.

Am I overlooking something obvious? I can't find anything on google about others having this problem with their mini's.

Thanks in advance!

Partron22
Aug 2, 2011, 07:37 PM
Am I overlooking something obvious? Did you check the status ofthe "Cds & DVDs" preference pane? Perhaps the Lion install managed to set the reponse to all types of insertion events to "Ignore".
Even if it didn't, tweaking a few options on the prefs pane might get a rise out of the drive.

PP133
Aug 2, 2011, 11:55 PM
Did you check the status ofthe "Cds & DVDs" preference pane? Perhaps the Lion install managed to set the reponse to all types of insertion events to "Ignore".
Even if it didn't, tweaking a few options on the prefs pane might get a rise out of the drive.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I just finished checking, and nothing jumps out from the CDs & DVDs menu. It's laid out like this:

When you insert a blank CD: Ask what to do
When you insert a blank DVD: Ask what to do

When you insert a music CD: Open iTunes
When you insert a picture CD: Open iPhoto
When you insert a video DVD: Open DVD Player

It seems as it should be, and is the same as my snow leopard setup.

PP133
Aug 9, 2011, 06:05 PM
Still no solution, but I did find others having the same problem, not necessarily with a Mac Mini, but with Lion and the Superdrive:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3199297?start=0&tstart=0
http://answers.pubarticles.com/13048,mac-os-x-lion-broke-mac-mini-superdrive-help-.html
http://www.ehmac.ca/anything-mac/96213-superdrive-finder-not-lion.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/245917-heads-up-lion-superdrive-fake-glitch-possibly.html

iBunny
Aug 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
I am also having this issue with a MBP. Lion will not read any DVD.... Movie, Burned, Blank... just spits them right back out at me. CDs are ok tho... :confused:

PP133
Aug 10, 2011, 02:11 AM
My sister-in-law has an appointment with the genius bar tomorrow. She called Apple, they told her that they had not heard of this issue, but that she should make an appointment to have the computer checked out.

I will update thread when she updates me.

PP133
Aug 11, 2011, 11:45 AM
My sister-in-law has an appointment with the genius bar tomorrow. She called Apple, they told her that they had not heard of this issue, but that she should make an appointment to have the computer checked out.

I will update thread when she updates me.

Well, the genius bar said that the superdrive is broken. The tech booted the mini into snow leopard and the drive was still shot.

I find the timing (right after installing Lion) very suspicious. I think I'll hold off on upgrading to Lion for a bit.

privatepilot
Dec 6, 2011, 04:14 PM
Discovered something by accident. I have two MacBook Air machines. One was upgraded to Lion via the download from the Apple Store. The other was upgraded via the thumb drive, purchased from the Apple Store. Downloaded version of Lion recognizes the SuperDrive. It pops up in the sidebar. Thumb drive version of Lion does not recognize superdrive. Something ain't right.

Anybody willing to test my theory? Ask yourself, how did I upgrade my OS? If others upgraded via the downloaded version of Lion and cannot use the superdrive, my theory is shot to pieces. Otherwise, the flaw may lie with the version of Lion resident in the $70 thumb drive.

johnhurley
Dec 6, 2011, 05:59 PM
I find the timing (right after installing Lion) very suspicious. I think I'll hold off on upgrading to Lion for a bit.

So a software upgrade broke the hardware is your theory?