PDA

View Full Version : Dear Apple: I know what I'm doing with my Applications folder.

Sergeant Pepper
Aug 2, 2011, 09:34 PM
I am sick of being repeatedly told by my MacBook that I don't have the proper permissions to modify /Applications and /Applications/Utilities. I am not an idiot. I understand what I'm doing.

I am not, however, savvy enough with Terminal.app and UNIX permissions to fix this problem myself. Anyone got a chown or something that'll help?

r.j.s
Aug 2, 2011, 09:35 PM
The Get Info window will allow you to modify permissions.

Sergeant Pepper
Aug 2, 2011, 09:37 PM
I'm listed as having Read & Write permissions, but if, for example, I try to update Google Chrome by dragging the new version into /Applications over the old one and selecting "Replace," I'm told I can't do that.

r.j.s
Aug 2, 2011, 09:42 PM
For the folder and subcontents? Make sure you click the little settings button below the permissions and choose Apply to enclosed items - while doing Get Info on the Applications folder itself.

neko girl
Aug 2, 2011, 09:45 PM
Why not delete the previous Chrome, then adding the new one? I don't think your permissions are broken - how did that happen?

Sergeant Pepper
Aug 2, 2011, 09:47 PM
Solved it. As it turns out, even though Get Info (yes, it was on /Applications itself) was telling me I could read and write to the folder, I had to go into the user list, add myself, and then set my permissions to Read & Write. It's all good now.