Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
You can't use your Apple ID that you use for iCloud services, for your iCloud email. This means that I need to have an @gmail.com and an @me.com

Attempted Resolution - I tried changing my Apple ID from my @gmail to my @me, but it says that "@me is reserved for MobileMe services".

Is there ANYWAY to have just ONE Apple Account/ID for iTunes, Apple general usage, iCloud and it's email service? I REFUSE to have multiple addresses for a single service. What I LOVED about the Apple ID is that it was universal across iTunes, Macs, ect., but now that simplicity seems to be gone.

The only plausible solution I see is being able to change my Apple ID from @gmail to @me, but that seems impossible using the account management options, thus I fail to see how this can be resolved (unless Apple allows iCloud email to be used by a non-@me account).

Any suggestions or thoughts?

lukeanderson

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2011
England
Yeah, apparently when you do the first setup in iOS 5 (setting up iCloud, etc.), it asks you to sign in with your Apple ID (the one you have), and then it will ask you to create a me.com account that will be associated with the Gmail Apple ID.

So you will login with the Gmail one, but it will be two accounts in one if that makes sense. I was in the exact situation you are.

Last edited:

CavemanUK

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2006
Rhyl, North Wales
Yeah, when iCloud comes out you will be able to associate a new @me.com email address with your AppleID but as far as I understand, you cannot associate an existing me.com account. not sure why.

jackrv

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Yeah, when iCloud comes out you will be able to associate a new @me.com email address with your AppleID but as far as I understand, you cannot associate an existing me.com account. not sure why.

I hope that is not the case. My current AppleID is a me.com address. However, it is expired, and I am hoping I can use that same ID as my icloud email address :(

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Yeah, apparently when you do the first setup in iOS 5 (setting up iCloud, etc.), it asks you to sign in with your Apple ID (the one you have), and then it will ask you to create a me.com account that will be associated with the Gmail Apple ID.

So you will login with the Gmail one, but it will be two accounts in one if that makes sense. I was in the exact situation you are.

I've experienced this, I signed in with my Apple ID, but refuse to create a separate email account for email. I just won't use their email service and they won't receive revenue from me. I am a minimalist, and refuse to have multiple ID's for the exact same service. Huge FAIL on Apple's behalf.

I don't want to associate a new one. I have one already that I used to trial mobileme (that is now stuck in limbo since the trial expired after Apple shut down mobileme), that I want to use. This is a stupid system. One should be allowed to delete their mobileme account, that way one could at least ASSOCIATE it with their current Apple ID. While this isn't preferable, it definitely isn't remotely intelligent right now.

I hope that is not the case. My current AppleID is a me.com address. However, it is expired, and I am hoping I can use that same ID as my icloud email address :(

No, you will be all set. THIS is what I'm trying to do. I currently have an Apple ID. I want to CHANGE my Apple ID from my @gmail to my @me, but it's not allowing me. I own both the @gmail and @me ID's, so there should be no issue. I emailed Apple Support and am waiting to hear back.

That way, if my Apple ID is my iCloud email (@me), I don't need to have my @gmail and @me anymore.

I'm shocked Apple hasn't fixed this yet, hopefully since iCloud is their new baby they will now.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Could part of the reason you can't really do what you want to do yet be the fact the iCloud is still in beta?

Have they removed the part that said they reserve the right to erase everything up until it goes live? I would think, that right now, they don't want you using real live stuff.....

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!

You will. There have been quite a few posts stating it was possible to ressurect expired accounts. I was able to do this for an old account through iOS 5. My email isn't working yet, but that's something that will be fixed as the end of the beta draws near.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Could part of the reason you can't really do what you want to do yet be the fact the iCloud is still in beta?

Have they removed the part that said they reserve the right to erase everything up until it goes live? I would think, that right now, they don't want you using real live stuff.....

I REALLY hope this is the reason, but I don't feel like this is their logic or process :-/

You will. There have been quite a few posts stating it was possible to ressurect expired accounts. I was able to do this for an old account through iOS 5. My email isn't working yet, but that's something that will be fixed as the end of the beta draws near.

Everything would be fixed if they just let me change my Apple ID to @me.com! It seems foolish that you can use a @me.com as an Apple ID, but you can't change your Apple ID to an @me.com?! (despite owning the @me.com name you wish to change to, and despite the fact that you are allowed to change your Apple ID!)

I will use other iCloud services, but I won't be using their email services or paying if they don't allow me to do this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.