Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikegs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
I wan't to use Safari in full screen. However when i close or quit safari, it goes to normal mode when re-opened.

Other apps stay in full-screen unless manually changed

stuartmack1974

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
swansea, wales, uk
What would also be a nice add on is remembering your preferred text size, so that when i hit the macrumours site, resize the text an dclick on a thread it stays at that size !!!!:mad:

Mikegs

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
This doesn't happen to me, when I close safari using cmd + Q and reopen, it automatically goes into full screen mode.

That's strange. Anyone have ideas as to why Safari reopens as fullscreen in some but not others systems? Closing Safari by command-Q or command-W makes it reopen non-full screen in my system

NewYorkRanger

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2010
I'm having the same problem.

Only way I can get it to stay full screen is if I check off "reopen windows when I login" when I log off my system, and that is if I leave Safari open when I log off.

Otherwise, anytime I launch it, it doesn't open in full screen, just in a window.

I recently re-installed Lion, this never happened before.

jtemelko

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
Yes, the deactivation of "Close windows when quitting an application" works in terms of re-opening Safari in full-screen mode but the annoying thing it opens on the last page you were browsing instead of your home page so it's not a 100% fix. C'mon Apple, you need to do better than that.

Incidentally, I only switched to Mac OSx from Windows after they finally made a "Full Screen" button. That took many many years for a simple feature!

jtemelko

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
This solved it for me too, thanks! I'm actually on El Capitan 10.1.13 right now.

It will only open whatever your last window was but if you close this window before quitting it will open your home page in a small window only and not in full screen. There is no true way to make it open in full screen by default.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.