Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suanmiao

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2008
hi all!

I plan to upgrade my harddrive soon, and migrate lion to the bigger harddrive using carbon copy cloner. my question is this: how do I recreate the recovery partition after?

thanks in advance!!

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
hi all!

I plan to upgrade my harddrive soon, and migrate lion to the bigger harddrive using carbon copy cloner. my question is this: how do I recreate the recovery partition after?

thanks in advance!!

I haven't really seen a good answer to this, or the question of how one maintains a bootable clone WITH the Lion Recovery Partition, since neither CCC or Super Duper will back it up.

Only thing I've seen is, on whatever drive you are using to clone.....start with a blank drive and install Lion clean on that drive. That will create both the Lion install and the recovery partition. After that's done....you can then use CCC to clone your current Lion install over, replacing the Lion partition on the clone.

Only other thing I can think of is to clone your Lion to the new drive (giving you a bootable Lion disk with no Recovery Partition). Then re-install Lion on that drive. I'm guessing this would keep all settings, etc...and create the recovery partition?

Would be curious as to what you find out.

-Kevin

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
I tried a clean install on a mac formatted drive and it did not create the recovery partition oddly enough.

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
I tried a clean install on a mac formatted drive and it did not create the recovery partition oddly enough.

Could that be because it's not relevant since they know you've got the reinstall media?

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

So I just installed Lion on a blank external drive and it DID install the Recovery HD to it.

-Kevin

saulinpa

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2008
I used Lion's Disk Utility to copy to a new drive and it copied the hidden recovery partition as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.