PDA

View Full Version : change of IP address

tiny73
Aug 3, 2011, 01:12 PM
Please help,
We have just purchased a solwise homeplug which seems to work perfectly, the problem that I have is that I can not access the router to add a wifi password to stop everyone accessing it, the ip address will not not register when using safari or any other. The support team have suggested that I temporarily change the ip address of the mac book and allow access to the ip address of the router. The ip address of the router is 192.168.1.1 which I believe is the standard. Can some one please help as i have recently converted from a pc and dont have a clue when anything does not work on a mac:eek:. All i want to do is access the router on the ip address and add the password.
Apologies if this thread already exists but I could not see it.:(

mrapplegate
Aug 3, 2011, 01:44 PM
Please help,
We have just purchased a solwise homeplug which seems to work perfectly, the problem that I have is that I can not access the router to add a wifi password to stop everyone accessing it, the ip address will not not register when using safari or any other. The support team have suggested that I temporarily change the ip address of the mac book and allow access to the ip address of the router. The ip address of the router is 192.168.1.1 which I believe is the standard. Can some one please help as i have recently converted from a pc and dont have a clue when anything does not work on a mac:eek:. All i want to do is access the router on the ip address and add the password.
Apologies if this thread already exists but I could not see it.:(

What happens when you open Safari and type in http://192.168.1.1 ?
Does a username password dialog box appear or does a web page appear?
I don't think you need to change any IP addresses if you are connected and on the same network.

tiny73
Aug 3, 2011, 03:29 PM
I don't think you need to change any IP addresses if you are connected and on the same network.

No web page appears i just get an error message from safari saying"Safari can't open the page "http://192.168.1.1/" because the server where this page is located isn't responding"

I have logged onto the virgin super hub using 192.168.0.1 and that takes me straight to the log in page?

mrapplegate
Aug 3, 2011, 03:31 PM
No web page appears i just get an error message from safari saying"Safari can't open the page "http://192.168.1.1/" because the server where this page is located isn't responding"

I have logged onto the virgin super hub using 192.168.0.1 and that takes me straight to the log in page?

What is the virgin super hub? That is a local IP, so you have another router on your network? What is your local IP address?

tiny73
Aug 3, 2011, 03:41 PM

What is the virgin super hub? That is a local IP, so you have another router on your network? What is your local IP address?

The virgin super hub is a router supplied by the isp the local ip address is 213.107.144.184.

cinematicme
Aug 3, 2011, 03:45 PM
The virgin super hub is a router supplied by the isp the local ip address is 213.107.144.184.

That looks like an external IP to me, your local IP should be something along the lines of 192.x.x.x

Can you post screenshots or to your routers info?

mrapplegate
Aug 3, 2011, 03:46 PM

I think that is your public IP address. Look in System preferences -> network. You should see a 192 number probably.

You need to make sure your network settings are on the same network as this device you are trying to configure.

tiny73
Aug 3, 2011, 03:49 PM
I think that is your public IP address. Look in System preferences -> network. You should see a 192 number probably.

You need to make sure your network settings are on the same network as this device you are trying to configure.

settings says that i am connected to ip address 192.168.0.3.

jman240
Aug 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
So you have a "super hub" which sounds like it handles routing and you have an additional router you are trying to configure?

Are you cabled into it or using Wifi? If Wifi try clicking the wifi icon in your menu bar and connecting to the router you want to configure. Then go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser.

cinematicme
Aug 3, 2011, 03:59 PM
settings says that i am connected to ip address 192.168.0.3.

Try connecting to http://192.169.0.1

Then go to 192.168.1.1 in your browser.

That wouldn't work, as the router assigned him a 192.168.0.x so the router is 192.168.0.1

Belkin routers are the same way, you connect to 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.1

tiny73
Aug 3, 2011, 04:03 PM

That wouldn't work, as the router assigned him a 192.168.0.x so the router is 192.168.0.1

Belkin routers are the same way, you connect to 192.168.2.1 instead of 192.168.1.1

Tried the ip address and got the same error message as before, the wireless router has an ethernet connection but the results are the same?

192.168.2.1 does not work it hangs for 2-3 mins and then the same error message

jman240
Aug 3, 2011, 04:10 PM

He has two routers and I think he is defaulting to the Virgin provided one even though they are both there is my understanding.

Tried the ip address and got the same error message as before, the wireless router has an ethernet connection but the results are the same?

Try cabling up to the one you want to configure.
Turn off Wifi on your computer.
Open network utility and find out what gateway you have assigned under interface eth0 or maybe eth1. With Wifi off you should only be getting IP addressing information on your wired interface.
Use that gateway IP address to connect into the router.

tiny73
Aug 3, 2011, 04:30 PM
He has two routers and I think he is defaulting to the Virgin provided one even though they are both there is my understanding.

Try cabling up to the one you want to configure.
Turn off Wifi on your computer.
Open network utility and find out what gateway you have assigned under interface eth0 or maybe eth1. With Wifi off you should only be getting IP addressing information on your wired interface.
Use that gateway IP address to connect into the router.

Tried the info and still no result? Screen shot below
Screen shot 2011-08-03 at 22.24.57

cinematicme
Aug 3, 2011, 06:29 PM

can you connect to the router via the ethernet cable?

aussie_geek
Aug 3, 2011, 06:30 PM

So this is what your network config looks like when plugged into the device you want to set up?

If so, the router config address is 192.168.0.1

edit - why are those dns servers in there also - get rid of them. the router should do that automatically for you

aussie_geek
Aug 3, 2011, 06:32 PM
can you connect to the router via the ethernet cable?

He has done that - look at the screenshot above - ethernet is active.

The address he needs to go to is 192.168.0.1

cinematicme
Aug 4, 2011, 12:51 AM
He has done that - look at the screenshot above - ethernet is active.

The address he needs to go to is 192.168.0.1

I'm pretty sure I said that multiple times in the posts above.

tiny73
Aug 4, 2011, 01:57 PM
I'm pretty sure I said that multiple times in the posts above.
Thanks for the the quote but going to this address seems to take me to the log in page of the virgin router, in attempt to better explain myself I have a virgin router (superhub) supplied the isp, in the house i have an area in the extension where the wireless signal will not reach. In attempt to solve this problem I have purchased a solwise wireless plug. The plug takes a feed from the ethernet connection on the back of the router and transmits the signal around the mains circuit in the house. At a convenient point in the area where the signal does not exist i have plugged another connection into the socket and have the choice of a wireless or wired connection, this is the system that i can not gain access to and need to change/add a password so that other people can't access my wifi.
Perhaps my explanation is a little basic and gives away the fact that i do not have a clue when it comes to ip addresses and access points, please bare with me to solve this issue.:o

tiny73
Aug 9, 2011, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the the quote but going to this address seems to take me to the log in page of the virgin router, in attempt to better explain myself I have a virgin router (superhub) supplied the isp, in the house i have an area in the extension where the wireless signal will not reach. In attempt to solve this problem I have purchased a solwise wireless plug. The plug takes a feed from the ethernet connection on the back of the router and transmits the signal around the mains circuit in the house. At a convenient point in the area where the signal does not exist i have plugged another connection into the socket and have the choice of a wireless or wired connection, this is the system that i can not gain access to and need to change/add a password so that other people can't access my wifi.
Perhaps my explanation is a little basic and gives away the fact that i do not have a clue when it comes to ip addresses and access points, please bare with me to solve this issue.:o

This was intended to be an innocent explanation of my predicament but all seems to have gone quite. Is it because i have offended people or that no one has another solution.

Please help this little thing is driving me insane, i have even taken the device around to a pc user and still the same.

mrapplegate
Aug 9, 2011, 02:05 PM
This was intended to be an innocent explanation of my predicament but all seems to have gone quite. Is it because i have offended people or that no one has another solution.

Please help this little thing is driving me insane, i have even taken the device around to a pc user and still the same.

I don't think you offended anyone. Sometimes people forget to reply or the forum gets flooded with new posts. Unless you subscribe to the thread you can miss it.

Connect the ethernet cable from your solwise plug to your computer. Try changing your IP address manually to 192.168.1.16 , router IP 192.168.1.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, and then see if you can get to the config page in safari at 192.168.1.1

Just so I understand correctly, your solwise can be configured from 192.168.1.1, correct?