PDA

View Full Version : Windows to Lion migration

rayjay86
Aug 3, 2011, 02:42 PM
I`m starting to get really confused. I'm a total Mac noob. This is the first time I'll be using OSX aside from quickly using a friends Mac to check email etc.

The most important things to me to migrate over are my documents, pictures and emails. Music would be nice but I can always download that again in case it fails. My documents and emails are very important and my pictures are just sentimental. Docs are all backed up on dropbox.

Is there a way to migrate emails from Outlook to Mac mail using the migration assistant? I tried looking that up online and it was really complicated (maybe I was looking at the wrong thing).

Documents I would imagine is just a simple copy/paste type thing and same with pictures?

Thanks for your help; UPS says my MacBook Air is in the city...but it hasn't delivered yet!!! Longest wait of my life!

jman240
Aug 3, 2011, 03:52 PM
Some advice:
-Take it slow.
-Make sure you have good backups before you do anything.

You should watch these videos while you wait to get an idea about how the mac works http://www.apple.com/findouthow/mac/#anatomy
videos are categorized and linked under the current one playing.

Dropbox has a mac client so that part will be easy.
Your files can be copy / pasted to the mac easily either over your network or with a usb drive.
You can use your home directory the same way you would the user folder on windows. There are doc, music, pics, videos folders there so you can stay organized.

As far as outlook goes. I have no idea on that one. You need to export the .pst and then import it I would imagine. Microsoft makes office for mac 2011 with outlook but its $150. Mozilla Thunderbird might work for you and its free.

mentlgen
Aug 3, 2011, 04:07 PM
I`m starting to get really confused. I'm a total Mac noob. This is the first time I'll be using OSX aside from quickly using a friends Mac to check email etc.

The most important things to me to migrate over are my documents, pictures and emails. Music would be nice but I can always download that again in case it fails. My documents and emails are very important and my pictures are just sentimental.

take jumpdrive
drag files onto said jumpdrive
plug jumpdrive into your mac

problem?