PDA

View Full Version : Lion upgrade experience: folders premission & other issues

msalman
Aug 3, 2011, 03:43 PM
Hey,

First, I'm really sad that I have to make this thread :(. I had a pretty smooth transition from windows to SL - only a tiny bug but that was about it. My experience with SL was fantastic even though I noticed people were complaining about it. But sadly I cannot say the same for Lion

I decided to upgrade to lion yesterday after seeing how my friends were loving it. I did a clean install; it didn't look too flashy. I liked few new features but that's about it. It could be because I'm not yet aware of all the cool changes. The new gestures didn't get on my good side. But I guess I will get used to these new things eventually and start liking them. After-all I have explored Lion for only few hours after installing it yesterday, who knows what more good or bad stuff it got for me :D.

Big issues I'm facing so far:

1 - My laptop is super duper hot even with fan control running at 6000rpm. I hit 74C couple of minutes ago with just browsing this forum. I am constantly hitting 60C+ with basic little things. With SL, I used to have 65-75C when playing a game on VM or 60-65C when constantly running flash on a browser.

2 - I barely have any free memory (4GB in total) when only few applications are opened: firefox, text editor, terminal, mail. So this is slowing down my system when I try to open more applications to do some dev work. Not sure what is the problem. With SL the only time I used to have 2GB+ active memory was again when playing a game on VM or running flash on browser for hours.

3 - After clean install, I restored folders to root (Macintosh HD) using time machine. As far folders under username (i.e., desktop, pictures etc), I had to do it manually. Now I'm having permission issues when writing to these folders. I was able to fix the permission on folders under my username but the root folders still seem to be giving me trouble even though I assigned read & write permission to group "everyone" for these folders. I cannot rename them or delete them without system asking me to enter admin password. Even creating a separate new folder directly under root asks me admin password. I'm not sure whether this is the default behaviour of Lion or there's a work around it.

Any input or help would be much appreciated. Thanking in advance!

mentlgen
Aug 3, 2011, 04:12 PM
the biggest problem i'm seeing here?

upgrading because your friends really like it. i mean, i've got friends who are gay, and there's a lot of things they like. but that sure as heck does not mean i'm going to go that way.

you knew full well that upgrading so soon to its release would come along with a few bugs.

Aug 3, 2011, 04:17 PM
Well, it's hard to tell without further information...you may try to check your Activity Monitor to see what's overtaxing your CPU and/or RAM usage.

As for the permissions issues, this happens often when people manually move or migrate "core" folders and content. One way to simplify this is to select the problematic folder, do a get info on it, check your permissions there and then choose "apply to all enclosed files".

P.s.: And no, my Lion install has NONE of the issues you report; in fact it's running almost perfectly here, apart from some minor bugs...it's must be something with your setup or legacy stuff.

avdb12
Aug 3, 2011, 04:44 PM
like msalman I have the same problem regarding overheating and CPU use!

I reach temperatures between 70 and 80 Celsius and more and is only use the applications Mail, Safari and Ichat at that time. when I open the Activity tool than Isee that the Kernal task is using around 480mb and launchd 49% of the CPU!!!

it just disappointed to read so many bad experiences about Lion, I do not understand why Apple released this version (love the new functions) however I can't work properly with my MBP because this issues.

Tomorrow I hope to do a clean install and downgrade it back to snow leopard!

msalman
Aug 3, 2011, 05:08 PM
the biggest problem i'm seeing here?

upgrading because your friends really like it. i mean, i've got friends who are gay, and there's a lot of things they like. but that sure as heck does not mean i'm going to go that way.

you knew full well that upgrading so soon to its release would come along with a few bugs.Really!! You must have too much time on your hand.

Well, it's hard to tell without further information...you may try to check your Activity Monitor to see what's overtaxing your CPU and/or RAM usage.have a look at the screen shots, as you can I'm not running much. I'm not too bothered about usage of memory at this point but the temperature of laptop really worries me.
http://i53.tinypic.com/105o5yb.jpg
http://i54.tinypic.com/213hmib.jpg

As for the permissions issues, this happens often when people manually move or migrate "core" folders and content. One way to simplify this is to select the problematic folder, do a get info on it, check your permissions there and then choose "apply to all enclosed files".I have tried that already but it still asks me to enter password when renaming a folder, deleting it and creating a new one. This happens only when I try to do one of these actions directly under root (Macintosh HD) though. Performing these actions under subfolders is working fine.

P.s.: And no, my Lion install has NONE of the issues you report; in fact it's running almost perfectly here, apart from some minor bugs...it's must be something with your setup or legacy stuff.for me, everything else looks to work fine, just these couple of things have bugged me so far. It is first release and I was expecting some bugs. anyway, thanks for your input.

fat jez
Aug 3, 2011, 05:43 PM
Outside of your own area under Users, you'll need to give elevated permissions to create a directory. It's how Unix security works. The root (top level) file system is not owned by you, so you need to be the super user to create anything there. Windows taught you bad habits by letting you create stuff wherever you like ;)

msalman
Aug 3, 2011, 06:08 PM
Outside of your own area under Users, you'll need to give elevated permissions to create a directory. It's how Unix security works. The root (top level) file system is not owned by you, so you need to be the super user to create anything there. umm..yea but I don't think this was the case for SL - then again it has been a while since I did something like under root directory in SL? I'm loggedin as an admin, and permission of read&write has been given to admin & everyone - not sure if that changes anything though. Either way, this solves one issue in a way.

Windows taught you bad habits by letting you create stuff wherever you like ;):D - *starts preparing to go on war with super user. Wondering why I'm not a super user even though it's my computer - damn you unix* lolz!

fat jez
Aug 3, 2011, 06:12 PM
:D - *starts preparing to go on war with super user. Wondering why I'm not a super user even though it's my computer - damn you unix* lolz!

Actually, MS changed Windows 7 to be the same.

ralfie8
Aug 9, 2011, 04:11 PM
I read many reviews about the Lion upgrade experience and was frankly not going to do it until there were some fixes (at least that is what everyone said needed to occur). Couldn't wait, so I went to the apple site, support and downloaded all the programs recommended. Perfect experience!! No issues with speed, programs that did not work etc. In fact I find my MacBook which had seemed to be slowing down, speed up. I love the experience and have been using a lot of the new features. I must admit I turned off the touchpad configuration. I have an iPhone and iPad and it is fine using that configuration there, but not on my computer. If you are wondering if you should upgrade, go to the support site, download all the suggested programs including the java patch and it should work well. I have a Macbook Pro, i5 dual core, 2.53GHz with 8 GB of Ram. My Lotus Notes works perfectly as does my Microsoft Office etc.

Sorry for those who are having poor experiences. I would rate the new OS at least a 4.5.