PDA

View Full Version : how to format ibook g4 hard drive with broken optical drive

slee8251
Aug 3, 2011, 03:45 PM
I have an ibook g4 with a broken dvd rom drive. I want to format my hard drive and the only way i can think of doing this is by inserting a install dvd and going into disk utility. Since I have a broken optical drive, is there another option to format my hard drive? Thanks in advance

MacHamster68
Aug 3, 2011, 04:01 PM
yes target disc mode , just needs another Mac

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1661

OrangeSVTguy
Aug 3, 2011, 04:20 PM
Any cheap external USB DVD drive should work too if the previous poster's advice doesn't work for your situation.

tom vilsack
Aug 3, 2011, 04:27 PM
Any cheap external USB DVD drive should work too if the previous poster's advice doesn't work for your situation.

ive never been able to boot a ibook form a external usb dvd..........firewire external dvd would work.

OrangeSVTguy
Aug 3, 2011, 05:01 PM
ive never been able to boot a ibook form a external usb dvd..........firewire external dvd would work.

I've booted many different G3/G4/G5 PPC Macs from external USB DVD/RW drives. Guess not all USB optical drives work then.

MacHamster68
Aug 3, 2011, 05:48 PM
i managed never to boot any ppc Mac of a usb dvd drive and i have quiet a few Mac's(16 with usb port) and usb dvd drives , from liteon ,lg ,panasonic and samsung none of them works for booting ,btw the panasonic and the liteon had been internal drives of 2 of my eMac's ( taken out to be replaced with second HDD) neither had i luck with usb hdd's :confused:

but i did hear that some managed to boot of usb devices on ppc Mac's

slee8251
Aug 4, 2011, 10:00 AM
yea i tried an external usb optical drive; didn't work i will try the target disc mode later on today