Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

El Dorko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Hello everyone, I've had a problem for a day or two now with the App Store. When trying to install a free app, it constantly will say "waiting..." until I review my account. While doing so, it prompts me to put in a credit card, even though I don't want to purchase anything except for free apps. According to most guides online, there should be a "No Payment" or "None" button, allowing you to bypass the step. But looking at my iPod, there is none, but it gives me credit card options.

How am I supposed to get around this?

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
Go to iTunes on your computer > iTunes Store tab on the right side > (make sure you're logged in) Click your account name at the top left > Type in your password if prompted > Edit Payment information > Next to where you see "Credit card:", click the last option which is "None" then click done.

El Dorko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Well, this still doesn't seem to work. It asks me to "Review" my account when I log in. This prompts me to put in all the account details and such, and then gives me the payment screen. I cannot bypass it, and there are no "None" or "No Payment" options on it. I'm stuck on this page of the review, and I cannot download free apps until the review is over.

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
Well if you put in your payment info, THEN try my steps, it will work. How did you sign up for your Apple ID without entering in your payment info? It only lets you bypass it once you've already entered in the info.

El Dorko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
My mother will not put in her payment info. She doesn't understand why she should put in her credit card for something for free. And she's sitting there freaking out that they have her card number and it costs and everything. There is no way that I can put in payment info with my bitch of a mother controlling all this ****. I personally don't see why they need a credit card either. What about people who don't have one? It's telling me to review my account every time that I try to sign in. This goes from anything from putting money on steam to buying microsoft points. Anything with Quote "MY ****ING CREDIT CARDDDDDD" and "THEY STEAL MY MONEY AND MY INFORMATION" Unquote, freaks her out. There is nothing that I can do with the payment info, and I just wanted to know if there was any way around this stuff to get the free apps.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Why don't you just get a bank account? It doesn't cost anything, and you don't have to be 18. Just enter you card details once and forget about it...

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
My mother will not put in her payment info. There is no way that I can put in payment info with my bitch of a mother controlling all this ****.

this will get easier for your mother when you get a little older ... just set-up your own bank account

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
My mother will not put in her payment info. She doesn't understand why she should put in her credit card for something for free. And she's sitting there freaking out that they have her card number and it costs and everything. There is no way that I can put in payment info with my bitch of a mother controlling all this ****. I personally don't see why they need a credit card either. What about people who don't have one? It's telling me to review my account every time that I try to sign in. This goes from anything from putting money on steam to buying microsoft points. Anything with Quote "MY ****ING CREDIT CARDDDDDD" and "THEY STEAL MY MONEY AND MY INFORMATION" Unquote, freaks her out. There is nothing that I can do with the payment info, and I just wanted to know if there was any way around this stuff to get the free apps.

Well unfortunately that's how Apple runs their business. Give Apple support a call and see what they can do for you instead of swearing like a child.

El Dorko

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Personally, the rage only comes from an intense hatred for my mother that I've had since a very early age. Considering I will be 18 soon, this shouldn't persist for much longer.

I'm a bit curious as to why just a few days ago apparently there was a "no payment" button and now it is gone. If I contact apple will they allow me to get a workaround for this problem?

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
Well if you put in your payment info, THEN try my steps, it will work. How did you sign up for your Apple ID without entering in your payment info? It only lets you bypass it once you've already entered in the info.

Does an apple ID require credit card/bank account info?

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
Does an apple ID require credit card/bank account info?

When you first sign up, yes, but once you enter it in a complete the sign up, you can remove the credit card info via iTunes and change it to "None".

ESPN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
When you first sign up, yes, but once you enter it in a complete the sign up, you can remove the credit card info via iTunes and change it to "None".

....What if one does not have a credit card to put in for Apple ID?(Instead using itunes gift cards)

Will they not be able to purchase music and apps?

jonrando

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2011
....What if one does not have a credit card to put in for Apple ID?(Instead using itunes gift cards)

Will they not be able to purchase music and apps?

Well I'm really not sure. I know for a fact you need to enter in a credit card, but I assume that if you call Apple and let them know you're unable to do so, maybe they can bypass it for you. It's something the OP should've tried.

Again, once you enter some form of payment, you can then go in and change it to "None" when you're complete.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Go to iTunes on your computer > iTunes Store tab on the right side > (make sure you're logged in) Click your account name at the top left > Type in your password if prompted > Edit Payment information > Next to where you see "Credit card:", click the last option which is "None" then click done.

Well, this still doesn't seem to work. It asks me to "Review" my account when I log in. This prompts me to put in all the account details and such, and then gives me the payment screen. I cannot bypass it, and there are no "None" or "No Payment" options on it. I'm stuck on this page of the review, and I cannot download free apps until the review is over.

JUST SO YOU GUYS KNOW, THE NO PAYMENT or NONE SELECTION IN THE CREDIT CARD SECTION IS ONLY AVAILABLE IN THE U.S. STORE. I DONT LIVE IN THE US BUT HAVE AN ADDRESS THERE SO I HAVE NO PROBLEM USING THE US STORE.

EDIT - THE GUY BELOW ME STATES THAT ONLY THE UK AND US ACCOUNT CAN CHOOSE NONE FOR THE CREDIT CARD INFO.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.