Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
After figuring out the Remote Disk issue, I was able to mount the 10.6 disk from my 10.7 MP onto my 10.5 MBA.

Then I started the installer on the MBA. It quickly told me it had to restart, and did. It then started directly back into my existing OS, and nothing installer-ish ran at any time.

I then tried using Option during reboot, and selecting my network. This had no effect, I still saw only the single boot drive.

Then I found something about "Remote Install Mac OS X". The document on Apple says I should find it in /Applications/Utilities/. It is not on my MP, and I cannot find a download for it (removed on 10.7?)

Any advice?

Maury

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I found a copy of Remote Install on my 10.6 disks, and copied it over to my 10.7 machine. It runs fine, and rebooting the MBA with Option allowed me to select it as the boot disk.

However, after about 15 seconds of DVD spinning, a big "no entry" icon appeared and that was that.

So does anyone know how to do this? Has anyone out there updated their Air from 10.5 to 10.6 using the network?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Original Air's are early 2008.

The Remote Install is on my 10.6 system, but not my 10.7 system. I'm guessing that Apple removed it because they think that everyone with a 10.7 system will be using 10.7 and there would be no need for the remote install feature.

One thing you could try is making a small partition on the Air's hard drive, cloning the 10.6 install disc on to that small partition, install from the small partition, remove small partition.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.