PDA

View Full Version : New life for a G4 cube?

bluedogz
Aug 3, 2011, 08:21 PM
One of my happiest roadside Mac discoveries was finding a complete G4 cube system for... get this... $25!

So, now it sits sadly in the spare room used by the occasional houseguest for checking email. I want to continue using this super-cool little gadget, but for something more... productive. Also, I found out well after buying it for a song that it was owned by one of the young sailors who Al Quaeda took from the USS Cole in 2000, so I'd like to not kick it to the curb too fast.

What are some ideas? I thought of maybe a media server?

Intell
Aug 3, 2011, 08:30 PM
Old G4 Cubes don't have a bright future. Being a PPC Mac, they are limited to Leopard and most modern software won't work on them. Four very good upgrades are maxing out the RAM at 1.5Gb, upgrading its CPU to a 1.5Ghz or better, putting in a much better video card, and upgrading its hard drive. With those things upgraded, they run Leopard very nicely for a 11 year old machine.

I've done all the above upgrades to my Cube, and I feel as if its allowed me o get at least five more years worth of light use out of it.

BlackQuark
Aug 3, 2011, 09:15 PM
My cube has been replaced by the mini. I had a MacBook in the middle, but went back to the desktop this time. It still lives on in the other office.

666sheep
Aug 4, 2011, 12:54 PM
Check cubeowner.com for hardware upgrade tips and ideas. Not sure what you mean by "productivity", though.

bluedogz
Aug 4, 2011, 06:38 PM
"Productivity" means "used for something other than being booted every 4 months to run Safari for 15 minutes."

MacintoshMaster
Aug 4, 2011, 07:48 PM
Old G4 Cubes don't have a bright future. Being a PPC Mac, they are limited to Leopard and most modern software won't work on them.

I've done all the above upgrades to my Cube, and I feel as if its allowed me o get at least five more years worth of light use out of it.

Why light use? I have an iMac G3 and run DAW apps on it. What do you think oasis recorded their albums on? A mac pro? Back when oasis did their first album a cube would of been super fast! Just use it heavy with older software. Should last you 10 years before the computer dies. My main computer for logic and sibelius etc...

Intell
Aug 4, 2011, 07:57 PM
Why light use? I have an iMac G3 and run DAW apps on it. What do you think oasis recorded their albums on? A mac pro? Back when oasis did their first album a cube would of been super fast! Just use it heavy with older software. Should last you 10 years before the computer dies. My main computer for logic and sibelius etc...

Light use of the internet. I use it for SD media playback and it works pretty well for that.

MacintoshMaster
Aug 4, 2011, 08:03 PM
My main computer for DAW for Sibelius is the Powermac G5 1.8Ghz

adcx64
Aug 5, 2011, 08:01 PM
My main computer for DAW for Sibelius is the Powermac G5 1.8Ghz

Is that relevant??

MacSince1990
Aug 7, 2011, 12:49 PM
If you're worried about internet performance, take a look at TenFourFox. It's pretty dramatically faster than Firefox (which it basically is a modified version of), and it's optimized in different versions for the G3, G4 (PowerPC 7400 AND the 7450 separately), and the G5. YouTube videos are actually watchable on my Beige G3 w/1GHz upgrade at 360p (they used to be unusable at 240p). It takes advantage of AltiVec... which was never really given the chance it deserved.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/37761/tenfourfox