Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paranoidx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
The lcd on my macbook A1278 was giving me black spots unless I put a bit of pressure (pushed with my finger) on the screen. I decided to replace it. Now when I turn on the Macbook, I get a chime, and orange light on the magsafe adapter, no light on the power button, and I can see the backlight on the screen turn on, but still just a completely black screen.

I have checked both cables coming from the LCD screen and they are on tight. I also did a PRAM reset 3 times.

Any other ideas??

Oh, and just in case I got a faulty screen I tried installing the original screen. I'm now getting the same issue with the original screen.

:(

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
A handy dandy guide to Unibody screen repair.

On a1278:

Situation: No backlight

What you broke: WLED driver chip. You kept the battery in while sliding the cable in improperly, or turned it on with pins on the cable going where they weren't supposed to. The cable isn't plugged in right.

Situation: Blinking display.

What you broke: bought a bad display from a low brow supplier

situation: backlight comes on, no display

what you broke: the LVDS cable ripped or tore internally somewhere

You need a new LVDS cable, and a new LCD.

paranoidx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2011
Okay, I can see a flash of light, so I will say the backlight is coming on.

I replaced the lvds cable and I get the same thing. The screen is supposed to be a brand new screen. The old screen was somewhat functional before and is no longer functioning. Any other ideas? I'm completely stuck on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.