PDA

View Full Version : Changing Icons In Lion

geltab
Aug 3, 2011, 11:17 PM
I have tried to change icons with jpeg, png, etc. images on folder, the sidebar icons, etc.. I go through the standard steps: get info on folder, drop the image on the smaller icon in the upper left. What I get is a new icon but it is a generic "jpeg image" or "png image" logo that replaces the icon, not the actual image.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

kaws
Aug 4, 2011, 01:15 AM
you can always use candybar...

there is a free trial then you can buy license.

candybar (http://www.panic.com/candybar/)

Quad5Ny
Aug 4, 2011, 02:04 AM
http://iconverticons.com/ - (Click "Options" and check "Convert to finder-compatible icons (Mac OS X)")

M-B-P
Aug 4, 2011, 02:05 AM
I actually had the same problem that you described and even posted it a few hours before you did.

I found an alternative method for changing the icon. If you open up the icon file in preview you will get the icon with some thumbnails of the icon in different sizes. Click on the actual image of the icon (not the thumbnail on the sidebar) in preview and do a select all (command + a), and a copy. Then paste that into the icon on the top left corner of the get info window of the desired app/folder.

Let me know if that did the job.

geltab
Aug 4, 2011, 02:26 AM
M-B-P, that worked, but it doesn't work in the "Favorites Sidebar". It shows the icon changed to the image I cut and pasted, but when I look at the side bar it hasn't changed from the folder image. I tried it on a new folder I made on the desktop and it worked on that. I know I could do this in SL on the sidebar favorites. Thanks for the help

M-B-P
Aug 4, 2011, 12:16 PM
Glad to hear that worked. There are a few threads on attempting to change the sidebar icons, but as far as I know no one has been able to change them successfully. If you find any way to change them please let me know.

baryon
Aug 4, 2011, 12:18 PM
I have tried to change icons with jpeg, png, etc. images on folder, the sidebar icons, etc.. I go through the standard steps: get info on folder, drop the image on the smaller icon in the upper left. What I get is a new icon but it is a generic "jpeg image" or "png image" logo that replaces the icon, not the actual image.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

Open image in Preview. Press Cmd + A to select all. Press Cmd + C to copy image area. Then go to the "Get Info" window of your folder and click the top left icon as you say. Press Cmd + V.

aziatiklover
Aug 4, 2011, 12:24 PM
Open image in Preview. Press Cmd + A to select all. Press Cmd + C to copy image area. Then go to the "Get Info" window of your folder and click the top left icon as you say. Press Cmd + V.

Awesome that worked for me thanx buddy. Now I have my MBA USB thumb drive with the right icon! :apple:

gonrivas
Aug 20, 2011, 09:25 AM
YES it's WOKS!!!! thanks!!!