PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Air 2011 Lock screen shortcut?

seebach
Aug 4, 2011, 04:12 AM
Hello,

I used to use ctrl+shift+eject to lock my screen, when getting coffee, but on my new summer 2011 MacBook Air - the eject key is gone!

So how do I lock my screen??? I've tried command+alt+ctrl+shift+e without any luck. And the trick with the keychain menu item and closing the lid are both to unconvient.

Any ideas?

kirky29
Aug 4, 2011, 04:58 AM
Weird, I don't know, but wondering if there isn't an eject button, how do you eject discs from the Air SuperDrive?

Edit, I forgot you drag disks to the trashcan... long time since I've used a disc!

seebach
Aug 4, 2011, 05:07 AM
Thats why I tried command+alt+ctrl+shift+e

Since command+e used to be the eject shortcut

billimek
Aug 4, 2011, 08:43 AM
Thats why I tried command+alt+ctrl+shift+e

Since command+e used to be the eject shortcut

Hopefully someone will write a small app to allow for an easier way (or a way at all!) to lock the screen.

coughalot
Aug 4, 2011, 09:06 AM
Install BetterTouchTool (free) and setup a key combo for the 'Switch to Login Screen' option.

gentlefury
Aug 4, 2011, 09:07 AM
I just close the screen....it immediately goes to sleep.

seebach
Aug 18, 2011, 02:29 AM
Hey, this works very well:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20090831093941225

star-affinity
Aug 22, 2012, 03:32 AM
Hello,

I used to use ctrl+shift+eject to lock my screen, when getting coffee, but on my new summer 2011 MacBook Air - the eject key is gone!

Ctrl+shift+power.

theocanada
Mar 8, 2013, 04:07 PM
ctrl+shift+power button does not work on the macbook air. No problem using with the eject button when I'm at my keyboard. No dice on the air's keyboard. i've been tapping the power button and selecting sleep or clicking the lock icon and then "lock" either way isnt very shortcut-y.

Any help?

Quad5Ny
Mar 8, 2013, 04:25 PM
After you've done the steps below, just Click the Lock icon on the upper right of the menu bar and then choose "Lock Screen".

Enable Keychain Status Icon:

Open up Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access.app
Click "KeyChain Access" on the left in the menu bar
Click "Preferences"
Check "Show keychain status in menu bar"

Or

In System Preferences:

Set to require password
Set a screen saver
Activate screen saver (such as with a hot corner)

MOnTheline
Aug 14, 2013, 05:33 AM
Or

Yes, Also in my option is this the right way to use the lock screen. Last week I made a video about how to do this. Maybe it can be help full for some others?

http://youtu.be/OVKrF7eTnp8