Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyUKr

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Hi

I have a dvd that has lots of small (1-5min) clips. I would like to be able to convert it to just 1 mp4 file that i can watch on my iPad/ipod/apple tv.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to do that.

Thank you very much in advance

Dokk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
IA, TX ... I never know
How? Can you elaborate?

Well ... um ... that's just what Handbrake does. You point the app to a source (e.g., a DVD) and it outputs a single file (e.g., an MP4). Select an appropriate output preset (e.g., Apple TV) and then put the resulting file in your iTunes library. Sync, then play on the device. Hand break will even preserve chapters if that's what you want it to do.

MendotaMike

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2011
Twin Cities, MN
Well ... um ... that's just what Handbrake does. You point the app to a source (e.g., a DVD) and it outputs a single file (e.g., an MP4). Select an appropriate output preset (e.g., Apple TV) and then put the resulting file in your iTunes library. Sync, then play on the device. Hand break will even preserve chapters if that's what you want it to do.

Well ... Um ... Maybe you've misunderstood the inquiry. Have you ever seen a DVD where the chapters are scattered across lots of little files (5-10 minutes each) instead of in a single large file? How does one get Handbrake to consolidate these sources and output a single mp4 file?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Dokk is correct. Handbrake will take a single title on the disc, then let you select start and end chapters. Movies are actually split up in to multiple files on DVDs, but since they're bound under the same title, the multiple file split is irrelevant.

I can only assume that you have videos which were encoded as different titles rather than chapters. Handbrake doesn't support this since it's so uncommon.

What you could do is output as mkv, merge with MKVmerge, demux, remux as mp4.

Dokk

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
IA, TX ... I never know
Well ... Um ... Maybe you've misunderstood the inquiry. Have you ever seen a DVD where the chapters are scattered across lots of little files (5-10 minutes each) instead of in a single large file? How does one get Handbrake to consolidate these sources and output a single mp4 file?

Maybe if you'd originally asked a specific question, someone could have answered. $.02

I actually haven't seen a DVD like the one you're positing. However, in the scenario you're outlining (with chapters spread over many titles), Handbrake would be partly useful. You could create one MP4 for each title-full-of-chapters from the DVD. Then you could use another app to join the MP4s you've created into one big MP4 file. See this thread for joining MP4s: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/352462/

Make sense?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.