PDA

View Full Version : Loosing part of pictures using preview in Lion

feeth
Aug 4, 2011, 08:13 AM
2010 MBA 13 w/ 1.8 4GB 128SSD

Been running Lion for a week and no issues till last night.

Installed SD card in side slot.

No iPhoto or Aperture selected.

Open SD card using preview.

Moved 40 or so pictures to a new folder, they appeared fine as usual so I deleted the pics from my SD card.

Started resizing some of the pictures.

Preview was having more then a few beachballs and pop ups that said it needed to close.

I would close it, reopen the file and continue.

Some pictures it would let me resize and I would export them to a sub folder.

Beachball again and want to close.

Some of my pictures would turn out like the attachments, some are fine.

I went back, looked at the unedited pictures in the new file I created. The edited pictures that I have these issues with are like that in that file too.

Also I've been reading about recovering files from the trash, but cant find the trash file. :o

I just tried preview again with a different picture from the same file and attached the message.

I moved the file with all the pictures in it over to my iMac, resized/exported about 10 pictures using preview and no issues at all.

TIA!

feeth
Aug 4, 2011, 08:34 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1196972&highlight=preview+quit

http://lnxg.wordpress.com/2011/07/21/psa-textedit-preview-10-7-crash/

I'll give this a try.

I ran the repair disk permissions in the disk utility and resized/exported 5 pictures from that same file. One of the pictures got corrupted again. Preview did not quit this time.

I viewed the picture and it looks fine, I resize/export to a subfolder. The original picture now looks like the pictures that I attached above. So preview is doing something to some of my pictures.

feeth
Aug 20, 2011, 09:52 AM
Had this issue again yesterday. Anybody else ever experience this?

Tutorer
Aug 20, 2011, 02:25 PM
As long as you edit the pictures on your hard disk and have unwanted changes saved, as in a system failure you witness, you might be able to revert to earlier versions of those pictures. Try the File menu and then choose the Revert to Saved option with the defect pictures opened.

That won't work on FAT formatted media, which your SD card very likely is.

Maybe you want to create duplicates of your pictures before you edit them and/or try a different application to edit them.

feeth
Aug 20, 2011, 07:06 PM
As long as you edit the pictures on your hard disk and have unwanted changes saved, as in a system failure you witness, you might be able to revert to earlier versions of those pictures. Try the File menu and then choose the Revert to Saved option with the defect pictures opened.

That won't work on FAT formatted media, which your SD card very likely is.

Maybe you want to create duplicates of your pictures before you edit them and/or try a different application to edit them.

I no longer delete the originals, instead saving them to an external when I need space on my card.

I reverted back a few pictures and that did work.

Thanks for the tip!