PDA

View Full Version : Select new home folder in Lion

BenGonz91
Aug 4, 2011, 09:05 AM
Hi, I have a macbook with an HDD and an SSD where the optical drive was. I just set it up so I'm booting my OS and apps from the SSD and I have my User folder on my HDD. I'm not sure how to get all my user settings to be applied on my SSD though, and I had found something telling you how, but it was written before Lion came out, so the System Preferences have changed a bit so I'm not sure where to look. Please help!

ctbear
Aug 4, 2011, 01:02 PM
Hi, I have a macbook with an HDD and an SSD where the optical drive was. I just set it up so I'm booting my OS and apps from the SSD and I have my User folder on my HDD. I'm not sure how to get all my user settings to be applied on my SSD though, and I had found something telling you how, but it was written before Lion came out, so the System Preferences have changed a bit so I'm not sure where to look. Please help!

I would imagine it being as simple as creating a symlink.
Also the OS accesses the home folder all the time (library files, for ex) so it would keep the HDD spinning all the time, not very energy efficient. The way I do it is to move only Music, Movie, and Documents folder to the HDD, and create symlinks in the user folder.

BenGonz91
Aug 5, 2011, 05:33 PM
What are symlinks? How would I do that?

mrapplegate
Aug 5, 2011, 05:39 PM

Right clicking on your user in User & Groups and choosing advanced options does not give you the option to change the path to your home directory on the HDD?

BenGonz91
Aug 5, 2011, 06:24 PM
Well I actually wasn't aware you had to right click it, but for some reason I'm unable to right click it so I'm still stuck

mrapplegate
Aug 5, 2011, 06:25 PM
Well I actually wasn't aware you had to right click it, but for some reason I'm unable to right click it so I'm still stuck

The padlock is unlocked? You authenticated first I mean.

GroundLoop
Aug 11, 2011, 06:34 PM
This is what I have been doing for the last server versions, but Lion is making things more difficult. I moved my home folder to the new partition, but, of course, none of the preferences I had set up moved since they are in the original home folder location. I would like to replace the Library folder in the new home folder with the Library folder from the old location. When I try to do this via the finder or terminal I get access denied, etc, etc, etc...

Has anyone done this? What is the easiest method?

GL

iLidz
Aug 11, 2011, 10:33 PM

Have you enabled this feature? I believe it is off by default:
system preferences>mouse>point&click>secondaryclick