PDA

View Full Version : New Mac with Lion, creating restore disk?

ZMacintosh
Aug 4, 2011, 09:14 AM
So the Mac came preinstalled with Lion, is there a method yet to create a restore disk on a USB/FireWire drive?

A file location within the OS I can restore to a external drive?

I have purchased Lion through the Appstore and have that on an external disk but it will not install on this iMac with Lion preinstalled.

DustinT
Aug 4, 2011, 09:30 AM
I'm not aware of any method. There is, however, the bare metal restore that Apple provides. Basically, they will download the restore partition and\or the installation media to any of the most recent Macs from the internet. This is, of course, much less desirable than having a disk of some kind. But, thats it.

If you have a system running Lion server there is also the option to download and cache the installation files there. But, that requires some investments, for sure.

ZMacintosh
Aug 4, 2011, 09:38 AM
I did purchase Lion Server, I was trying to create an Image to deploy for the same iMac but still havent encountered a way to create the restore media.

I get the gist of it being all internet downloadable but in all circumstances its just not preferred or necessary....

idroid84
Aug 4, 2011, 04:40 PM
So the Mac came preinstalled with Lion, is there a method yet to create a restore disk on a USB/FireWire drive?

A file location within the OS I can restore to a external drive?

I have purchased Lion through the Appstore and have that on an external disk but it will not install on this iMac with Lion preinstalled.

This is my first post on macrumors. Been browsing since I got my MBA 13" i5 on the day of release.

I would like to add that the version of lion from the Appstore does not install on the MBA's that come pre-installed. The MBA's have a built in recovery via the Apple network.

I have been on the phone to support as I don't think this is acceptable as it has took 7 hours so far to download the OS. They are calling me back with hopefully a nice little solution. Support did say there is a method of putting the installer onto USB after it has downloaded on the new MBA's. I am waiting for a call soon with a guide on how to do this.

I will let people know once I get this method. I think it will be just to create a bootable USB stick and then put the files onto it but we shall see. I asked about what would happen if I was away on a Business trip with no Internet connection and he said he knows what I mean then that is when he said about coming back with a solution. Lets see.