Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

omnivision_logo.jpg

Apple's longtime camera sensor supplier for iOS devices, Omnivision Technologies, has announced a new 8-megapixel sensor which claims to be 20 percent slimmer than any other 8-megapixel module in commercial use today.
"With our new OmniBSI-2 architecture, we have further miniaturized our pixels while delivering a 20 percent improvement in peak quantum efficiency in all color channels, a 35 percent improvement in low-light sensitivity and a 45 percent increase in full-well capacity in an extremely compact and power efficient package," said Per Rosdahl, senior product manager at OmniVision. "This 1.1-micron OmniBSI-2 pixel enables the next generation of miniaturization in mobile cameras, and is key to the high-resolution smartphone camera roadmap."
The new camera module should pave the way to thinner smartphone designs which has always been a priority for Apple. Apple has used Omnivision's technology in the past and presently uses it in the iPhone 4. Omnivision has also been heavily rumored to be one of two suppliers for an 8-megapixel camera sensor in the iPhone 5.

Based on the press release, however, this particular sensor may not be ready in time for the iPhone 5's release which is expected in October. Sampling of this new part begins in August with mass production expected in the first quarter of 2012.

For reference this new part has a build height of 4.7mm. The current iPhone 4 5MP back-side camera has been measured to be 6.5mm.

Article Link: Omnivision Announces 20% Thinner 8-MegaPixel Camera Sensor for Use in Smartphones

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
So this is why the iPhone 5 is delayed :)

Doubt it. I think it was for A5 reasons. Apple wouldn't hold back a design for a slightly enhanced lense. The 5MP iPhone 4 outshined some 8MP lenses back in 2010 if you remember correctly. It's not all about MP. Surely there is something that's upgraded from last years i4 5MP lens to now without it being a jump to this lens.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Doubt it. I think it was for A5 reasons. Apple wouldn't hold back a design for a slightly enhanced lense. The 5MP iPhone 4 outshined some 8MP lenses back in 2010 if you remember correctly. It's not all about MP. Surely there is something that's upgraded from last years i4 5MP lens to now without it being a jump to this lens.

I think the iPhone 5 is delayed not for any of these reasons, but so they can get iOS 5 done right, iCloud launched and test everything more to avoid any bad press over silly things. Plus, I think it gives them time to build up more stock so they can better meet demand upon launch - or if the other rumors about Canada and China are right, launch in more markets sooner.

webman2k

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
My brain simply can't handle the amount of time, money and resources that this company put into to shaving 2 millimeters off of its product. That's their business, but wow.

lehite

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010
I don't want more pixels*. I want better pictures (low light too).

*if it means that the actual quality of the picture does not improve

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I just want Apple to fix the green spot that shows up in the center of photos. I don't care if they need a new sensor or some software to do it. Just fix it:

110525%2Bhue%2Bdistortion%2Bsmall.jpg

The other thing is this—if they are going to add 1080p video, I'd like a switch to toggle quality. 720p videos already take up too much space. That or make the next iPhone come in 64/128GB sizes. Your call Apple.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

I'm not a fan of Ken Rockwell, but his article sums up my feelings about the ever increasing MP count in phone cameras.

I agree.... I have a really great quality 3Mp camera that takes amazing shots. It has an older CCD, but great lens and I can blow up prints to 18x24 and they look amazing.

I don't think more hurts, but it's far from what makes a great image.

neech7

macrumors member
May 31, 2011

The lens and the sensor are two totally different things that serve different functions. You seem to write lens like you mean the sensor here.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
I just want Apple to fix the green spot that shows up in the center of photos. I don't care if they need a new sensor or some software to do it. Just fix it:

The other thing is this—if they are going to add 1080p video, I'd like a switch to toggle quality. 720p videos already take up too much space. That or make the next iPhone come in 64/128GB sizes. Your call Apple.

This may be caused by the thinness of the package of lens and sensor. Digital sensors only really like light striking them straight on. It is quite difficult to make a lens packaged so closely to the sensor that will achieve all the light beams hitting the sensor correctly across the sensor. When this cannot be done you often see colour casts like this.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I think the main/only reason they are doing it is for specs and that they can/could cram a higher-count MP camera in there.
When Apple introduced the iP4 last year some people balked/laughed at the addition of "only" a 5MP camera. However, tests showed that this 5MP camera could/sometimes pick/ed up details better than a higher 8MP camera on other smartphones. I think some of the photos I take with my iP4 are extremely great and have printed out some and look very good.

If they stuck with a 5MP camera more people would laugh yet again. Upping it keeps them with the Joneses.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Hopefully this will allow a 5 MP camera in the next iPad. I care more about that than improving the iPhone, which I consider to be quite good for a cell phone.

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa
Hopefully this will allow a 5 MP camera in the next iPad. I care more about that than improving the iPhone, which I consider to be quite good for a cell phone.

Yeah but who honestly goes around and shoots photos with their iPad? :confused:
The reason the iPhone has a better camera is because of its miniature form factor.

skinuca

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
New York City
If they do make this new phone even thiner, it will be more difficult to put a better lens in it. I would much rather have the close to the same form factor of the iPhone 4 and if they have shrunk internals use that space for battery and have them find a way to put in a better lens.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
As long as this means a better camera in upcoming iPad and iPod touch models. :rolleyes:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Who cares?! Give me a better lens, or just let it ride.

macduke,
Your photo looks like chromatic aberration in the lens. Green and purple are the 2 most common colors that lenses create due to imperfect refraction. A good camera lens that does away with this completely usually costs (at minimum) more than an iPhone or iPad. So...don't expect too much from a phone.

lehite

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2010

Whoa, I never realized this until reading your post. My iPhone camera has the great green blob too. Ugh. I just want a better camera. 5mp (or 3 or 8) is fine with me as long as the pictures are crisp and have good color.

Last edited:

skeep5

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2006
AZ

+1 on the hard drive sizes. Videos are so huge! :apple:

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

I'm not a fan of Ken Rockwell, but his article sums up my feelings about the ever increasing MP count in phone cameras.

The MP Myth is actually a bit of a myth in of itself.

Yes, a lot goes into making a good camera and the lens is often way over looked. Yes, many camera have too many megapixels resulting in poorer low light performance. Yes, you do want a larger sensor to increase the megapixel amount, versus increasing the density.

However, new backlit sensors have really compensated a lot for the low light performance of the increased pixel density. And in situations where improvements to the lens can't necessarily be made, improving the pixel density can offer other advantages, such as actual usable digital zoom and image stabilization along with other sensor processing that can make up for the limitations of the negative impacts of increasing the pixel density.

The bottom line is that it's a much more complex formula for evaluating the impact of one level of megapixels versus another. More pixels could make things better, worse, or indifferent.

Considering this company's history, as well as Apple's, it's likely this sensor is going to deliver better images while using less power and occupying less space. So what's not to love?

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
My brain simply can't handle the amount of time, money and resources that this company put into to shaving 2 millimeters off of its product. That's their business, but wow.
When you get down to hand held form factors then those millimeters become the mile stones to measure progress by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.