PDA

View Full Version : Are You Happy With Lion?

KPOM
Aug 4, 2011, 09:54 AM
I know there are bugs to be worked out, but among all the complaint threads, I'm curious who is, on the whole, happy with Lion and intends to stick with Lion?

paulsalter
Aug 4, 2011, 09:58 AM
Overall I am happy

No major problems running anything and performance is great

Certainly going to stick with it, things can only get better

MonkeySee....
Aug 4, 2011, 09:59 AM
Really? Another thread!?

Atleast make it different. How about a poll?

0-20% happy
20-40% happy

etc

KPOM
Aug 4, 2011, 10:01 AM
Really? Another thread!?

Atleast make it different. How about a poll?

0-20% happy
20-40% happy

etc

It's been a while (at least several pages back). I added the "Maybe" category.

MonkeySee....
Aug 4, 2011, 10:08 AM
It's been a while (at least several pages back). I added the "Maybe" category.

Sorry dude. didn't even see it :o

aziatiklover
Aug 4, 2011, 10:13 AM
In love with it!

gentlefury
Aug 4, 2011, 10:13 AM
OK, so EVERYTIME this is posted the majority is happy....so why do these keep popping up and why do we keep also seeing threads stating that everyone is having problems and everyone hates Lion? It's simply not true!

paulsalter
Aug 4, 2011, 10:16 AM
OK, so EVERYTIME this is posted the majority is happy....so why do these keep popping up and why do we keep also seeing threads stating that everyone is having problems and everyone hates Lion? It's simply not true!

Happy with it but would like to see some things changed

A few things I dislike, but nothing that would make me want to go back to Snow Leopard

KPOM
Aug 4, 2011, 10:19 AM

People who are angry are more likely to post. There have also been a few "Lion is Apple's Vista" blogs out there, but nothing has hit the mainstream media as of yet. 15 days in, things are looking reasonably well, though I do want to see 10.7.1 come soon. I want my deep sleep bug with my MacBook Air worked out (that's the only issue I've had so far).

gentlefury
Aug 4, 2011, 10:21 AM
People who are angry are more likely to post. There have also been a few "Lion is Apple's Vista" blogs out there, but nothing has hit the mainstream media as of yet. 15 days in, things are looking reasonably well, though I do want to see 10.7.1 come soon. I want my deep sleep bug with my MacBook Air worked out (that's the only issue I've had so far).

What issue is that? The only thing I've had so far is if I immediately open the screen after closing it, it takes a few seconds to wake up....but if I leave for a few minutes and open it, it wakes right up.

I've also noticed that if I do happen to open it too soon and the screen is black I can type my password and it will still enter it....so it will start on the desktop instead of the login screen.

3bs
Aug 4, 2011, 10:21 AM
Seems like everyone who voted is happy with Lion. Including me:)

3bs
Aug 4, 2011, 10:22 AM
Oh wait, I guess not everyone is happy

KPOM
Aug 4, 2011, 10:55 AM
What issue is that? The only thing I've had so far is if I immediately open the screen after closing it, it takes a few seconds to wake up....but if I leave for a few minutes and open it, it wakes right up.

I've also noticed that if I do happen to open it too soon and the screen is black I can type my password and it will still enter it....so it will start on the desktop instead of the login screen.

On the 2011 MacBook Airs (and apparently any Mac with an SSD), it can take up to 10 seconds to wake up from deep sleep mode (not exactly "instant on"). If it's in regular sleep, it opens up pretty quickly. It also occasionally forgets that my Wi-Fi network is a preferred connection.

BlackMangoTree
Aug 4, 2011, 11:01 AM
Still no digital audi fix, PATHETIC!!!!

Apple sell new computers that have issues with digital audio what a joke.

MonkeySee....
Aug 4, 2011, 11:07 AM
Still no digital audi fix, PATHETIC!!!!

Apple sell new computers that have issues with digital audio what a joke.

The fix that tells you to convert 16bit to 32bit? or is there something else?

aepple
Aug 4, 2011, 11:08 AM
Lion works flawlessly... its so cool. Lion is the start of new Apple Platforms soon to come.

http://www.facebook.com/AeppleP

KaPOWitsCHRIS
Aug 4, 2011, 11:11 AM
Love it.

kirky29
Aug 4, 2011, 11:11 AM
Yup, Love Lion.

BlackMangoTree
Aug 4, 2011, 11:12 AM
The fix that tells you to convert 16bit to 32bit? or is there something else?

There is no 32bit option. 24 20 16 only.

Once you play anything with ac3 dts act.. your whole system will loose audio, needs a reboot to et audio back.

petvas
Aug 4, 2011, 11:13 AM
I had no problems with Lion till yesterday evening. Suddenly and after a reboot my system crashed constantly and I had to reinstall the OS! That has never happened to me before with any other Mac OS. Somehow I think it had to do with a new external hard drive (WD my Book 3TB) that I installed yesterday. At some point my Mac Pro wouldn't recognize the drive, so I restarted. Safe mode didn't help and my Time Machine backup was unfortunately not available, as I was in the process of switching to a new Time Machine volume and the first backup wasn't completed :(
Now I have Lion working again and I hope I never ever get to see such a crash...

Jagardn
Aug 4, 2011, 11:13 AM
Lion works flawlessly...

I wouldn't exactly say flawless, but for me its been great except for a few bugs.
I like Mission Control, Safari, and Versions.

PowerGamerX
Aug 4, 2011, 11:14 AM
Has been near perfect for me. It has some issues, but not a whole lot. I get some weird graphical problems (software not hardware based) and sometimes Mission Control can be a little problematic. It's nothing I consider OS breaking. They'll likely be fixed with 7.1

MonkeySee....
Aug 4, 2011, 11:16 AM
There is no 32bit option. 24 20 16 only.

Once you play anything with ac3 dts act.. your whole system will loose audio, needs a reboot to et audio back.

Ahh sorry dude. I was just trying to recall a thread on here maybe i got it wrong :confused:

BlackMangoTree
Aug 4, 2011, 11:20 AM
Ahh sorry dude. I was just trying to recall a thread on here maybe i got it wrong :confused:

There is many threads around trying to solve this issue none with any luck so far. Apple fixed it under 10.6.8 i wonder why they are taking longer for Lion. To release an OS with a major bug like this is baffling

baryon
Aug 4, 2011, 11:29 AM
You have to add this as a poll option: I'm not entirely happy with it but I can't be arsed to switch back to SL.

RWil85
Aug 4, 2011, 11:32 AM
Loving Lion on my MBP..

I had a problem with the audio hardware controls going out after rebootsand requiring the plugging/unplugging of headphones to get it to work again..

However, i turned it on yesterday and the controls worked right away..weird, but I'll take it.

siurpeeman
Aug 4, 2011, 11:40 AM
i am happy overall, but there are things i don't like, bugs and stuff. my biggest gripe:

i don't know if it's just me, but when i command-tab to get to an application that's in another desktop (space), it won't actually change spaces to get there.

*edit*
yay, in the mission control settings, there's an option: "when switching to an application, switch to a space with open windows for the application."

fisherking
Aug 4, 2011, 11:48 AM
anxiously awaiting fixes, tweaks. but (despite the bugs), am loving (most of!) Lion...

change is good! :D

chillvisio
Aug 4, 2011, 10:30 PM
WOW! 16.44% of voters are unhappy with Lion and they are still using it?!?

SSVicious
Aug 4, 2011, 10:42 PM
I am sticking with Lion. I like having the latest OS and I am too lazy to switch back.

But I am annoyed at the lack of functionality of Launchpad (a feature I REALLY wanted). Also, my system runs much slower sometimes. It takes a long time for apps to load. Kind of annoying.

h4lp m3
Aug 5, 2011, 12:01 AM
HELL NO!

I still don't know if I want to use my 2-finger swipe to navigate webpages or scroll through windows. BUT I DO KNOW ONE THING: There must be a hotkey that you can hold to change the behavior of the 2-finger gestures. Agreed?

RWil85
Aug 5, 2011, 12:16 AM
HELL NO!

I still don't know if I want to use my 2-finger swipe to navigate webpages or scroll through windows. BUT I DO KNOW ONE THING: There must be a hotkey that you can hold to change the behavior of the 2-finger gestures. Agreed?

Would be a good idea..

Any 3rd party software do this?

jkcmac
Aug 5, 2011, 12:30 AM
I'm very happy with Lion and purposely bought a Magic mouse because of the feature. it works well.

I don't have problem like a lot of people complains about but these are just my point of view for those having problem with Lion. maybe you should consider a clean install. upgrading from old system with so many 3rd party software after so many years might be the reason that created some kind of conflict. how much you have paid for the others application? Lion are just 29.90 compare with all the other software that you are using. I don't think apple are able to fine tune to suite all of them in one go and where can you find a new OS that doesn't need to fine tune? I have been with windows many years. and this macbook pro are my 1st apple unit. loving it more everyday. :rolleyes:

MonkeySee....
Aug 5, 2011, 03:11 AM
HELL NO!

Post #8

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1203772

h4lp m3
Aug 9, 2011, 01:00 PM
No dude, I'm talking about a hotkey to change it on the fly.
Nobody's going to go into the system preferences, change it, swipe the pages and go back into the system prefs again and change it again everytime you need to go back a page in your browser... might as well just click the little arrow. :rolleyes:

darkeartg
Aug 9, 2011, 01:06 PM
Not that happy with it, mbp runs way warmer and in safari I get a lot of beachballs. I have a 2.3 quad btw.

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 9, 2011, 01:09 PM
Very happy with Lion. The only bug I've experienced so far is sometimes it takes too long or doesn't come out of sleep at all. I'm pretty sure Apple with fix this with an update promptly as many are having the same issue. Other than that Lion as been flawless for me and seems noticeably snappier.

old-wiz
Aug 9, 2011, 04:53 PM
Haven't had any real issues. The only thing I changed was the scroll direction. I did take the precaution of updating all of my apps like 1Password and SuperDuper before installing Lion. I downloaded Lion from the App store then copied the "Install Mac OSx Lion" app to another disk before starting the update. I don't have any odd 3rd party kernel extensions, so maybe that helped.

nebo1ss
Aug 9, 2011, 05:01 PM
Nice to know most on this thread seem to be happy. However, I have seen enough problems discussed on the forums that I am sitting on the fence until an update. I have also created a clone of my drive that I will eventually instal it on when the next version is released. This will give me an easy way back.

OW22
Aug 9, 2011, 05:40 PM
Yes vote here. Love Lion, no issues at all here, super fast and everything is working A1. On a Mid 2010 iMac.

scottsjack
Aug 9, 2011, 06:58 PM
No Lion for me. Iíve reverted both of my Macs back to Snow Leopard. Lion is gimmicky, juvenile, dumbed down, visually ugly and of course littered with v0 issues. It really looks like Apple is concentrating on the Noobie/tablet crowd at the expense of experienced, serious users who like to choose their workflow.

It could be that Lion is test to see how people would react. Whether the tabletization of OS X continues into the future is yet to be seen. Users who like to control their computing environment or who want to use such radical, outdated technology such as optical drives, USB3, eSata and high-end GPUs may have to move back to into the Windows camp.

The Mac's total system of integrating mail, calendars, contacts, and photos into one great system spanning desktops, laptops and phones is what first attracted me to the platform. With iCal and Address Book becoming fugly and with versions and autospell goofing up workflow MS Office isn't looking all that bad lately.

Chrisg2014
Aug 9, 2011, 07:31 PM

If everyone is having problems then this form would be overloaded with people. Think of it like this, The people who have a problem have questions and need help. So they come here and ask for help. The people who don't have problems have no need to post about anything. What would we post about? We might answer the question to the people who have problems, just about it.

So no it's not "simply not true". It is true. Most people are happy with lion and a few are having problems. You have to look at the whole picture, not just a part of it, a very small part.

ElToro
Aug 9, 2011, 08:53 PM
Everything is nice and pretty, but it destroys my battery, even when its asleep. I just let it sit for 3 hours and it went from 100% battery to 72%. thats ********, in SL I could use it on and off for over 10 hours and be fine, at this rate I cant leave it asleep for 10 hours.

AtmChm
Aug 9, 2011, 09:17 PM
No Lion for me. Iíve reverted both of my Macs back to Snow Leopard. Lion is gimmicky, juvenile, dumbed down, visually ugly and of course littered with v0 issues. It really looks like Apple is concentrating on the Noobie/tablet crowd at the expense of experienced, serious users who like to choose their workflow.

It could be that Lion is test to see how people would react. Whether the tabletization of OS X continues into the future is yet to be seen. Users who like to control their computing environment or who want to use such radical, outdated technology such as optical drives, USB3, eSata and high-end GPUs may have to move back to into the Windows camp.

The Mac's total system of integrating mail, calendars, contacts, and photos into one great system spanning desktops, laptops and phones is what first attracted me to the platform. With iCal and Address Book becoming fugly and with versions and autospell goofing up workflow MS Office isn't looking all that bad lately.
Totally agree. I installed Lion on only one 'extra' mac I have just to test it out, and can't get used to it. So many of the changes are cosmetic and don't improve functionality at all. For me there are no new and innovative features that make me more productive as there were in Leopard and SL (I switched from Windows to Mac at Tiger). Leopard brought us Time Machine and Stacks, these were actually totally NEW features, which made me more productive (or saved my butt a few times). SL brought Spaces, which again made me more productive. In Lion we get a 'new' look to Mail?, a mashing of Spaces and Expose together into 'mission control'? Dashboard now wipes the screen just to see the widgets?, Stacks is turned into 'iOS-like' launchpad?, and the Finder sidebar is stripped of icons and the text is in a less readable gray instead of black?? None of these will make me more productive. I think Lion has ALTERED the user experience, but not necessarily improved it.

To me Lion is 95% about getting all those iPad/iPhone/iPod touch users to try macs. It's a huge customer base that Apple would love to move to the Mac. It's very little about improving the productivity of SL users.

Kanunu
Aug 11, 2011, 06:22 AM
WOW! 16.44% of voters are unhappy with Lion and they are still using it?!? I know the %'s change but I don't see the category you describe. I think I fall in that but did not see it as an option in the poll.

I am unhappy but view Lion an inevitable so better get used to it and hope 10.7.01 comes soon.

Big D 51
Aug 11, 2011, 07:13 AM
It has been working fine for me. It runs exactly the same for my needs. I don't use any of the new features except fullscreen ocassionally. Also, new mails seems to run better.

ditzy
Aug 11, 2011, 07:36 AM
I have some issues, but not enough to make me go back. Also I think that most if not all the issues will be sorted out on updates.

hexonxonx
Aug 11, 2011, 09:05 AM
I'm loving it. Only problem that I have on both of my Macs is sometimes I have trouble downloading from a website in Safari. I get a dark screen and the file never downloads. A few others have reported the issue on the Apple forums so I am not alone on this. Not worth switching back to SL over.

blackomega31
Aug 11, 2011, 04:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hate it

KlytusLord
Aug 11, 2011, 05:02 PM
For my tastes (emphasis on "My") Lion is too gimicky. I do love the mail app. My opinion is not based on bugs, since bugs can eventually get fixed. I mostly look at the things are are here to stay with the OS, and in my case, I do not like the retro look given to iCal and Contacts. I also do not like spaces, and I think that Air Drop is clunky and not as efficient as other forms of transfer, though I grant it is much easier to use if you are not computer savvy.

I gave in and got y new Air, which is what I am using Lion on. My other two macs are still running SL. I'll just have to wait and see as I use both version which one is more natural to me.

Taz Mangus
Aug 11, 2011, 06:32 PM
I am loving using Lion. Some of the features that I really enjoy using:

Natural scrolling.
Screen sharing in a different account then the one that is logged in. This features even works when I use my iPad using the VNC Viewer app.
The built-in gestures like swiping left and right with two fingers in Safari to go back/forward a page, four finger gestures (up, down, left and right).
Safari, under Lion, is snappier as compared to running under Snow Leopard.

Lion has been pretty solid running for me on 2011 27" iMac and my 2009 17" MacBook Pro. I have not had any lockups. I did have one crash with iTunes happen yesterday. Sleep and Wake on Network Access both work great. I know some people are having issues with these.

Lion seems to run as fast as Snow Leopard did and has improved in at least one area over Snow Leopard, faster WiFi access on my iMac (108Mb/s for Snow Leopard vs 162Mb/s for Lion).

I am finding some minor bugs cropping up here and there, pretty minor stuff for a .0 release.

At this point, I can't see myself going back to Snow Leopard as I would miss the new features that Lion has to offer. Lion as simplified the use for me which has made the usage of my Mac computers more productive.

randomerratum
Aug 11, 2011, 06:44 PM
Extremely happy.
A few bugs here and there but I'm SOLD!

LOVE natural scrolling. After a few days you can't remember why it was ever any different.

I'm not a tidy guy so I always found myself losing things in Spaces... I ended up turning off the feature or using no more then 2 spaces at a time. The new implementation really keeps things simple and organized despite my best effort :P Re-arranging them in order of last used and simple swipes between them has become a standard part of my workflow!

I can appreciate how people who've come to depend on rows and columns and have a solid proceedure can feel limited by Lion, but I think if you can 'let go' and allow Lion to do all the menial stuff for you, you'll start to realize that this is exactly the kind of stuff you computer SHOULD be doing for you anyway!

mrmister
Aug 11, 2011, 06:56 PM
"Totally agree. I installed Lion on only one 'extra' mac I have just to test it out, and can't get used to it. So many of the changes are cosmetic and don't improve functionality at all. For me there are no new and innovative features that make me more productive as there were in Leopard and SL (I switched from Windows to Mac at Tiger). Leopard brought us Time Machine and Stacks, these were actually totally NEW features, which made me more productive (or saved my butt a few times). SL brought Spaces, which again made me more productive. In Lion we get a 'new' look to Mail?, a mashing of Spaces and Expose together into 'mission control'? Dashboard now wipes the screen just to see the widgets?, Stacks is turned into 'iOS-like' launchpad?, and the Finder sidebar is stripped of icons and the text is in a less readable gray instead of black?? None of these will make me more productive. I think Lion has ALTERED the user experience, but not necessarily improved it.

To me Lion is 95% about getting all those iPad/iPhone/iPod touch users to try macs. It's a huge customer base that Apple would love to move to the Mac. It's very little about improving the productivity of SL users."

AGREED EMPHATICALLY.

This is right on the money.

Even Lion's defenders in this thread are mentioning relatively minor changes--some gestures they like, or a new way an existing feature works--and those are the supporters.

Lion's priorities are no longer with the Mac base that has been with the company for years, because Apple's priorities don't lie there.

Jobs once was asked in an interview what he would do if he was in charge of Apple--this is during his time in exile. He said, "Milk the Mac for all its worth while figuring out the next big thing, and then dump it."

That strategy is being implemented. Some people won't mind the changes, and some people are in denial about them...it all depends on what kind of user you are.

AtmChm
Aug 14, 2011, 08:53 PM
Correction, Spaces was actually introduced in Leopard. So we got Stacks, Spaces, and Time Machine in Leopard. Can't really remember what the new stuff in SL was supposed to be (other than removing the bloat from Leopard which slowed it down, and pulling the PPC code), which may make Leopard the last truly INNOVATIVE OS X with NEW features introduced rather than just changes to existing features/apps. I guess that also makes sense from the standpoint that they sold SL at $30 per LICENSE. Now, Lion is being sold for $30 per ACCOUNT. Maybe we should use that adage "you get what you pay for."

Honestly, I could go back to Tiger were it not for Time Machine, Spaces, and Stacks (in that order).

aliensporebomb
Aug 14, 2011, 08:59 PM
I like it to a point - it made my system run hotter than normal which is why I believe it killed it.

QuarterSwede
Aug 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
A few things in Lion infuriate me (Mission Control is not well thought out) but I do like how fast it connects to wifi and how fast you have a usable desktop when logging in. Those are major improvements in my opinion. Snow Leopard brought less to the table overall.

WSR
Aug 14, 2011, 09:17 PM
Correction, Spaces was actually introduced in Leopard. So we got Stacks, Spaces, and Time Machine in Leopard. Can't really remember what the new stuff in SL was supposed to be (other than removing the bloat from Leopard which slowed it down, and pulling the PPC code), which may make Leopard the last truly INNOVATIVE OS X with NEW features introduced rather than just changes to existing features/apps. I guess that also makes sense from the standpoint that they sold SL at $30 per LICENSE. Now, Lion is being sold for $30 per ACCOUNT. Maybe we should use that adage "you get what you pay for."

Honestly, I could go back to Tiger were it not for Time Machine, Spaces, and Stacks (in that order).

I memory serves, Leopard improved the GUI with what you mentioned and more I'm sure. Meanwhile, Snow Leopard was an under the hood update. What I mainly remember is it improved usage of multi-core processors. So you didn't SEE much difference but more FELT it.

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 14, 2011, 09:20 PM
A few things in Lion infuriate me (Mission Control is not well thought out) but I do like how fast it connects to wifi and how fast you have a usable desktop when logging in. Those are major improvements in my opinion. Snow Leopard brought less to the table overall.

I noticed that too. After a reboot or coming out of sleep(no matter what time length) wifi comes in instantly. On SL after a long sleep I would have to wait anywhere from 10-30 sec for wifi to kick in. On a reboot desktop wasn't really useable until all the start up programs loaded. With Lion it's near instant use as soon as my desktop appears. It's also a faster boot up time too.

Overall, I'm very happy with Lion.

soulreaver99
Aug 14, 2011, 09:26 PM
I like it so much that I downgraded back to SL so I would miss all the spinning beach balls, increased hit, system instability, and not being able to wake up from sleep mode!

AtmChm
Aug 14, 2011, 09:37 PM
And another thing...

The assumption with Lion is that the features they incorporated from iOS are actually an improvement to OS X. However, (for me) the fact that apps start up right where they left off in iOS is actually a limitation to iOS rather than being better than OS X. It maddens me that in iOS Safari windows never close when you move to another app. After a while you end up with many open Safari windows, which you have to go through and close manually. It's also a step backward to have to close open documents in office apps in Lion before you quit, otherwise they will open automatically the next time you open that app. Resume is also useless. Like a friend of mine said, "Isn't that what putting a Mac to sleep is for?" The list goes on...

artguy3d
Aug 14, 2011, 10:01 PM
So the thing I don't get is why (if it is all 64 bit now rather than partial 64 bit) isn't it faster.

Snow Leopard is just faster on all my machines, and it runs all my software.

Seems like Lion added so much bloat it just dogs down - when the point of true 64 bit should be speed. What I would of liked was 64 bit speed without sacrificing a compatibility layer.

sidewinder
Aug 14, 2011, 10:26 PM
So the thing I don't get is why (if it is all 64 bit now rather than partial 64 bit) isn't it faster.

Snow Leopard is just faster on all my machines, and it runs all my software.

Seems like Lion added so much bloat it just dogs down - when the point of true 64 bit should be speed. What I would of liked was 64 bit speed without sacrificing a compatibility layer.

Up until 10.7, I let my Mac Pro (early 2008) run in whatever mode the OS wanted to run it in by default. That, even with 10.7, was 32-bit. I used a utility that caused my Mac Pro to boot up in 64-bit mode. I don't know if it is a placebo effect or real, but my system is running faster and better than ever. Even faster than it did with 10.6.

S-

artguy3d
Aug 14, 2011, 10:38 PM
Up until 10.7, I let my Mac Pro (early 2008) run in whatever mode the OS wanted to run it in by default. That, even with 10.7, was 32-bit. I used a utility that caused my Mac Pro to boot up in 64-bit mode. I don't know if it is a placebo effect or real, but my system is running faster and better than ever. Even faster than it did with 10.6.

S-

Well you do have a 8 core with 10 gb ram. That's quite a machine so it better run fast. :)

I do remember seeing a OSX roadmap to 64 bit but now can't quite remember the particulars. Probably somewhere in the MacRumors archive...

djshack
Aug 15, 2011, 12:11 PM
On my 2010 MacBook Pro, I was running Lion from release until yesterday. I tried to like it. I even used "natural" scrolling. However, after trying to run Adobe CS 5.5, I finally caved in and went back to Snow Leopard.

I almost forgot how this MBP is supposed to run--cool, quick, and smoothly. Lion changed all that for the worse, and now it's all back to normal. The laptop does not burn me despite 2% total CPU usage.

Further, I forgot how good Expose really was, and how effed up Mission Control is.

Given the direction Apple is heading, my next computer will likely run Windows, as I do not think any updates to Lion will persuade me to like it. I've been an Apple laptop user since 2003, but this might just be the last one I own.

Corridore
Aug 15, 2011, 12:20 PM
It's not bad. Some of the gestures on the Trackpad are decent. However, there are many issues with it right now. Safari (and Chrome, which I tried to see if I could fix the issues), has a tendency to freeze up right now. The load-up on some apps are slower than what I would expect. I'm really not a fan of the internet windows that stay open after sleeping out. Also, with Snow Leopard, I never really noticed any issues. With Lion, it's easy to notice them.

Hopefully Apple resolves these issues at some point in the near future. Without a fix, I don't know whether it is worth going with a Lion Mac or going to Windows 7.

EDIT: Speaking of which, has there been any word of a fix in the near future? I haven't really heard anything recently, and I just want to see if anyone else has.

djshack
Aug 15, 2011, 12:29 PM
It's not bad. Some of the gestures on the Trackpad are decent. However, there are many issues with it right now. Safari (and Chrome, which I tried to see if I could fix the issues), has a tendency to freeze up right now. The load-up on some apps are slower than what I would expect. I'm really not a fan of the internet windows that stay open after sleeping out. Also, with Snow Leopard, I never really noticed any issues. With Lion, it's easy to notice them.

Hopefully Apple resolves these issues at some point in the near future. Without a fix, I don't know whether it is worth going with a Lion Mac or going to Windows 7.

EDIT: Speaking of which, has there been any word of a fix in the near future? I haven't really heard anything recently, and I just want to see if anyone else has.

It's not necessarily bad, but to me, Snow Leopard was perfect and by far the best OS X version.

The changes in Lion seem to be changes for the sake of changes. And, not necessarily good ones. Mission Control is somewhat of a failure--I didn't use Spaces before, so I actually like how it handles the spaces. However, the Expose feature of Mission Control is awful compared to that of Snow Leopard.

And, honestly, that is probably the only "feature" or "change" I care about. LaunchPad is useless. Anything else I just don't notice or use (such as Mail and iCal, which is now hideous).

Corridore
Aug 15, 2011, 12:42 PM
It's not necessarily bad, but to me, Snow Leopard was perfect and by far the best OS X version.

The changes in Lion seem to be changes for the sake of changes. And, not necessarily good ones. Mission Control is somewhat of a failure--I didn't use Spaces before, so I actually like how it handles the spaces. However, the Expose feature of Mission Control is awful compared to that of Snow Leopard.

And, honestly, that is probably the only "feature" or "change" I care about. LaunchPad is useless. Anything else I just don't notice or use (such as Mail and iCal, which is now hideous).

I agree. To be perfectly honest, LaunchPad just seems like a glorified version of the Applications folder in Finder. I rarely used Spaces with Snow Leopard because I really didn't use my Macbook all that much, but I'm really not a fan of Mission Control. The speed and freezing issues are the biggest issues for me right now. The new features can't cover those two things for me, so hopefully Apple is working on it right now.

Could just be my aluminum Macbook, though.

djshack
Aug 15, 2011, 12:46 PM
The one thing that keeps me hopeful is that when Snow Leopard was new, everyone hated it, it had issues, and blogs were claiming Snow Leopard was Apple's "Vista."

Perhaps this will be the same as with Lion, which can potentially be great. However, for that to happen, Apple must modify Mission Control and some other "features," not just increase speed and stability.

When using Lion, I just can't help but thinking how much I actually like Windows 7 over it (and obviously Snow Leopard).

Then again, Microsoft is messing around with some form of tablet-like interface on Windows 8, which may very well turn out to be a complete disaster.

sidewinder
Aug 15, 2011, 01:12 PM
djshack and Corridore,

You two are just comical. Please switch to Windows 7......

S-

AtmChm
Aug 15, 2011, 09:07 PM
The one thing that keeps me hopeful is that when Snow Leopard was new, everyone hated it, it had issues, and blogs were claiming Snow Leopard was Apple's "Vista."

I think you mean Leopard. Leopard was a bit of a bungle when it came out. Snow Leopard ultimately fixed the problems in Leopard and worked well from day 1.

djshack
Aug 15, 2011, 11:53 PM
djshack and Corridore,

You two are just comical. Please switch to Windows 7......

S-

So, I have a perfect, working 2010 MacBook Pro, which runs Snow Leopard absolutely perfectly. I've been a user of Macs, because I've preferred them, since 2003. I'm not happy with Lion, so I downgraded to Snow Leopard--this computer will likely last another two years minimum.

Your response is to switch to Windows 7? That's very thoughtful and constructive--if you drink the Apple Kool-Aid.

I like Apple and most of Apple's products, but I am willing to admit when they are not perfect, or in fact far from it. I also use an Android phone and have a Roku hooked up to my TV.

So, yes, I may not be the typical Apple fanboy you find among there forums, but I like my MacBook running Snow Leopard, and while I stated that Lion basically sucks and I prefer Windows 7 to Lion, Snow Leopard will do just fine on this computer until either Apple no longer supports it, or I need a new laptop.

If you don't have anything useful to contribute to this discussion, please don't. Thank you.

sidewinder
Aug 16, 2011, 01:18 AM
djshack,

You are the one that that threatened to buy a Windows machine with your next purchase. Since all you want to do is whine back and forth with your MA friend stating how terrible 10.7 is and how you see no way that any updates Apple brings out for 10.7 will change your mind, you might as well hasten the move.

10.7 has been absolutely wonderful on my system. I have yet to come across a bug and I have found the changes to be quite intriguing. Of course, I am open to change and have looked for ways to improve my workflow using the new features. Some of the changes didn't make sense until I looked at them for a different perspective.

Natural scrolling is a prime example. I took a step back and realized that it makes no sense if you are working from a perspective of manipulating the window control. But it makes perfect sense if you are manipulating the page directly. Do you get that difference? That's why Apple is hiding the controls until scrolling takes place. It makes a lot of sense to do this. So, you need to change your perspective if you want natural scrolling to seem natural.

Give change a shot.....bugs will get fixed along the way.

S-

Michael383
Aug 16, 2011, 01:41 AM
I have Lion on my iMac and MacBook Pro and except for a couple of issues with my MBP I'm happy with Lion.

Corridore
Aug 16, 2011, 04:21 AM
The only problem I really have with Lion is the Safari issue and some other slow issues. Nothing that is beyond a bug fix. Once that happens, Lion will probably be the best operating software out there. Just because I criticize some aspects of Lion doesn't mean that I'm abandoning Apple right now.

aliensporebomb
Aug 16, 2011, 09:16 AM
As awful an experience I've had so far with Lion I did get eight days of flawless service before my drive took a dive and actually lead me to drag my Mac into the Apple store.

Once I can get it installed again I'll use it.

onthecouchagain
Aug 16, 2011, 09:24 AM
Considering it freezes my 2011 iMac constantly when playing videos (of any kind; iTunes, QuickTime, Flash, anything) after waking from sleep, no, I am not happy with Lion.