Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
When I sort files in a folder by the date they were added I get this new layout where you can scroll sideways. It's cool and everything but is there a way that I can sort files by date added and have them in the old format where they're just icons next to each other in a grid?

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
When I sort files in a folder by the date they were added I get this new layout where you can scroll sideways. It's cool and everything but is there a way that I can sort files by date added and have them in the old format where they're just icons next to each other in a grid?

go to the view menu and click on view options

select arrange by as none and sort by as date added

think that does what you are asking

3bs

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
go to the view menu and click on view options

select arrange by as none and sort by as date added

think that does what you are asking

Thank you, that worked. But it's kinda annoying that I would have to do all that for every folder I want sorted in such a way. Oh well

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
It's extremely buggy. If you want to use Sort By, then you have to press Alt BEFORE opening the menu. If you open the menu and THEN press Alt, Sort By won't work correctly. Also, as the post above says, you must select Arrange by: None before doing anything.

I hope they remove this crappy arrange by function in the future, as it's useless since it places all icons in the same freaking row and scrolls sideways. I have no problem scrolling vertically, thank you very much, Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.