PDA

View Full Version : CD Burning?

robertneville77
Aug 4, 2011, 10:27 AM
I just got a Power Mac 7500 running System 7. I can get it to read CD's but I can't figure out how to burn a CD.

I guess the CD drive could be ROM only (there's no label), so I'll check on that, but regardless, where do I go to burn a file onto a CD?

Thanks fellas!

simsaladimbamba
Aug 4, 2011, 10:31 AM
Go to System Profiler > Hardware > Disc Burning to see, if you are able to burn CDs.
For burning CDs you can use Burn (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html).

zen.state
Aug 4, 2011, 10:53 AM
Go to System Profiler > Hardware > Disc Burning to see, if you are able to burn CDs.
For burning CDs you can use Burn (http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html).

He is running System 7..

To the OP:

Upgrade to at least OS9. Pretty sure it's free now. Pretty sure there are no 3rd party burning apps for System 7. OS9 has built in burning.

robertneville77
Aug 4, 2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks zen.state. So there's no way to burn a cd in system 7?

Also, if I choose to upgrade, will my files and documents still be there?

simsaladimbamba
Aug 4, 2011, 10:56 AM
He is running System 7..

To the OP:

Upgrade to at least OS9. Pretty sure it's free now. Pretty sure there are no 3rd party burning apps for System 7. OS9 has built in burning.

Thanks for the quick reply Sims, but I still can't find "system profiler" or "hardware". I tried going under the main Apple menu icon and I can't find those. Even did a search and that didn't work.

I'm on Mac OS 7.

Sorry, did read too fast and didn't notice the System 7 part.
For that I have no answer though, as my experience with system 7 was only with floppies and such.

zen.state
Aug 4, 2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks zen.state. So there's no way to burn a cd in system 7?

Also, if I choose to upgrade, will my files and documents still be there?

Going from 7 to 9 it may not. If I were you I would your important files on another Mac or use some of the many free cloud data hosts out there. I imagine since it's System 7 there can't be much data so the 1GB~ most give for free should be enough.

Burning was a very rare thing in the system 7 days. Thats when a simple 1-2x CDR drive was $700+.

joepunk
Aug 4, 2011, 08:48 PM
If I'm not mistaken the Powermac 7500 came with a CD-ROM only.

My father got a refurbished Iomega CD burner (1-2x) for $120ish 10 years ago for our iMac G3. I think it stopped working a few years ago. I should try it again.

pacmania1982
Aug 11, 2011, 08:43 AM
Firstly yes you need to find out what kind of drive you have inside your Power Mac. I'm also guessing its just a CD ROM. It would probably be possible to pick up a 2nd hand CD Burner from eBay and fit that to your machine. I'm not sure if Apple System Profiler has this information in, for the version of Mac OS you have advised the machine is running.

You will then need some CD Burning software that works with such an old version of the Mac OS, such as Toast, or upgrade to a newer Mac OS. Toast 5 is available on the www.macintoshgarden.org/ but it requires at least Mac OS 8.6. So look on eBay again to see if you can find a newer system CD (or be naughty and download one from the URL I just mentioned).

Hope this helps

pac

robertneville77
Aug 17, 2011, 03:40 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice! I did not get the CD burning down, but if I can just get a pci-usb card, I might be able to use a flash drive.

Good news is I do have an upgraded 7500 running Mac OS 9.0.4, themed like Jaguar, and running a bunch of cool apps. Also found some more RAM and a 200MHz card out of a 7300. It's running awesome!

@joepunk
Yup, found that it only comes with a CD-ROM drive.

@zen.state
I upgraded from System 7 to Mac OS 9.0.4. Amazingly, it kept my documents, apps, and such.

What sucks is that Mac OS 9 is not freely available from Apple. Thus I had to resort to the dark side....

@pacmania
Thanks for the advice. I'll look into Toast for the Mac. I don't plan on installing it on the old 7500 since I don't have burnable cd drive, but I think I might get it for my current Mac. I've used Roxio on Windows, and it seems to be better than Mac's Disk Utility.