PDA

View Full Version : Clean install Lion. ( :S )

WillEH
Aug 4, 2011, 10:39 AM
Having issues with doing a clean install of Lion. Followed all the guides, but it doesn't seem to be working out for me.

I've burned Lion on to a disk.

Guides tell me I should go to Disk Utility and erase my HD, well I can't, ERASE is greyed out so I can't click on it.

So not sure what to do, what I'm wanting to do is totally erase my HD, and do a clean install of Lion from the disk.. Any help? :)

Help?

kbmb
Aug 4, 2011, 10:47 AM
Having issues with doing a clean install of Lion. Followed all the guides, but it doesn't seem to be working out for me.

I've burned Lion on to a disk.

Guides tell me I should go to Disk Utility and erase my HD, well I can't, ERASE is greyed out so I can't click on it.

So not sure what to do, what I'm wanting to do is totally erase my HD, and do a clean install of Lion from the disk.. Any help? :)

Help?

Yeah, you have to boot into the Lion DVD or USB drive you created. Once booted into that....you will see a menu allowing you to run Disk Utility. From there you can wipe your original drive. (You do have backups correct ;))

-Kevin

WillEH
Aug 4, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yeah, you have to boot into the Lion DVD or USB drive you created. Once booted into that....you will see a menu allowing you to run Disk Utility. From there you can wipe your original drive. (You do have backups correct ;))

-Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks, do I boot from Mac HD, Recovery, or the "Mac OSX" disk which lists.

Yes I have it all backed up to TM :)

Zcott
Aug 4, 2011, 10:59 AM
The one that you named your Lion install disk, so not Recovery or Mac HD.

kbmb
Aug 4, 2011, 11:00 AM
Hi Kevin,

Thanks, do I boot from Mac HD, Recovery, or the "Mac OSX" disk which lists.

Yes I have it all backed up to TM :)

Mac HD and Recovery should be your internal disk.

I'm assuming Mac OS X is the DVD or USB stick you created? If so....boot to that. You should get to a screen that looks like below.

-Kevin

WillEH
Aug 4, 2011, 11:09 AM
Mac HD and Recovery should be your internal disk.

I'm assuming Mac OS X is the DVD or USB stick you created? If so....boot to that. You should get to a screen that looks like below.

-Kevin

Okay, I'll try it. Thanks :)

How long should it take to load?

WillEH
Aug 4, 2011, 11:25 AM
Might of messed up a little. I erased the HD and thevother HD? Was that ok. One at the top of the list, then the one below..

kbmb
Aug 4, 2011, 11:28 AM
Might of messed up a little. I erased the HD and thevother HD? Was that ok. One at the top of the list, then the one below..

What "other" HD?

What do you see listed now?

If you erased Mac HD....I think it auto erases the Recovery HD.

If you are just seeing a blank partition now, rename it to what you want and install Lion on it.

-Kevin

WillEH
Aug 4, 2011, 11:34 AM
What "other" HD?

What do you see listed now?

If you erased Mac HD....I think it auto erases the Recovery HD.

If you are just seeing a blank partition now, rename it to what you want and install Lion on it.

-Kevin

Hi Kevin,

It's all going well now, installing fresh :)

kbmb
Aug 4, 2011, 11:36 AM
Hi Kevin,

It's all going well now, installing fresh :)

Good to hear.

After you get up and running...in terminal you can type diskutil list to make sure the Recovery partition was created on the fresh install.

-Kevin

WillEH
Aug 4, 2011, 11:37 AM
Good to hear.

After you get up and running...in terminal you can type diskutil list to make sure the Recovery partition was created on the fresh install.

-Kevin

If not? I guess I use migration to get everything from TM back?

kbmb
Aug 4, 2011, 11:41 AM
If not? I guess I use migration to get everything from TM back?

The recovery partition just contains those utilities.....so you just want to make sure it's created.

As for restoring....during the initial setup once installed it will ask about migrating and you should be able to select TM.

-Kevin

WillEH
Aug 4, 2011, 01:28 PM
The recovery partition just contains those utilities.....so you just want to make sure it's created.

As for restoring....during the initial setup once installed it will ask about migrating and you should be able to select TM.

-Kevin

I did that command:

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Untitled 749.3 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk6
0: Apple_partition_scheme *998.1 GB disk6
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk6s1
2: Apple_HFSX Time Machine Backups 998.1 GB disk6s2
WillEHs-MacBook-Pro:~ Will$

Is that okay?

kbmb
Aug 4, 2011, 01:34 PM
I did that command:

0: GUID_partition_scheme *750.2 GB disk0
1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
2: Apple_HFS Untitled 749.3 GB disk0s2
3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3
/dev/disk6
0: Apple_partition_scheme *998.1 GB disk6
1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk6s1
2: Apple_HFSX Time Machine Backups 998.1 GB disk6s2
WillEHs-MacBook-Pro:~ Will$

Is that okay?

Yup....that's your boot drive (still called Untitled huh :p)

And you can see the Recovery partition was created.

So in the future, if you needed to run disk utility etc and didn't have your Lion USB drive you created, you can boot into the Recovery HD (by holding Option at startup) and get access to those tools and the ability to redownload Lion to reinstall.

-Kevin

WillEH
Aug 4, 2011, 01:49 PM
Yup....that's your boot drive (still called Untitled huh :p)

And you can see the Recovery partition was created.

So in the future, if you needed to run disk utility etc and didn't have your Lion USB drive you created, you can boot into the Recovery HD (by holding Option at startup) and get access to those tools and the ability to redownload Lion to reinstall.

-Kevin

Yeah, don't know how to change the name :P

kbmb
Aug 4, 2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah, don't know how to change the name :P

Right click on the name in the Finder sidebar and select Rename.

If you don't see that drive in the sidebar....open Finder prefs -> sidebar and make sure Hard Disks is checked.

-Kevin