PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook 5300CS HELP!

spyguy10709
Aug 4, 2011, 11:31 AM
The other day I bought a powerbook 5300cs, its a great little machine, but I have no way of getting software on it but a floppy. I put a classic mac app (an orinoco wifi driver), from my library's (I don't have another computer with floppy) windows pc onto a 1.4 meg floppy and put that pc formatted floppy into the powerbook (which is running system 7.5.2). The floppy read OK, but it when I try to open the application, PC Exchange keeps asking me what application I want the file to open with. What should I do? I'm really stuck, and I'd appreciate any help you guys could give me.

MacHamster68
Aug 4, 2011, 11:35 AM
you need a old Mac with floppy

http://main.system7today.com/articles/tutorials/disktools.html
but are you sure the orinoco card is compatible with Mac especially with OS7, as far as i know not all are even compatible

spyguy10709
Aug 4, 2011, 11:52 AM
you need a old Mac with floppy

http://main.system7today.com/articles/tutorials/disktools.html
but are you sure the orinoco card is compatible with Mac especially with OS7, as far as i know not all are even compatible

The orinoco is compatible, used it with my iMac running 8.X

Why do I need an old mac, I have the file on my powerbook, it just doesn't know how to open it...

also, that link describes how to make a floppy bootable.. not what I want to do..

MacHamster68
Aug 4, 2011, 12:06 PM
ups my mistake , but here something to read

that might explain it why you cant open the file
"Generally, you should be running OS 7.5.5 through OS 9.2.2 with Open Transport v1.1 or greater. A clean install of the OS is recommended (but not always necessary) before attempting to add wireless to any PowerBook." at least it would explain why it was working under OS8 in your iMac
here the source :
http://www.powerbookwireless.net/

spyguy10709
Aug 4, 2011, 12:22 PM
ups my mistake , but here something to read

that might explain it why you cant open the file
"Generally, you should be running OS 7.5.5 through OS 9.2.2 with Open Transport v1.1 or greater. A clean install of the OS is recommended (but not always necessary) before attempting to add wireless to any PowerBook." at least it would explain why it was working under OS8 in your iMac
here the source :
http://www.powerbookwireless.net/

thanks for that, but I have confirmation that the wireless will work...

my issue is that ANY confirmed classic mac application will not run after being transferred via a PC floppy, its just the PC exchange thing, it doesn't realize its a Mac App, so it tries to open it as a PC file. I need to know how to make the mac realize its a macintosh application, not a pc file!!

goMac
Aug 4, 2011, 07:14 PM
Windows PC's do not know how to handle classic applications and will damage them when copying them.

That's likely your problem. Classic applications contain non-standard bits that Windows tosses out. The app is already damaged by the time it makes it to your Powerbook.

Have to download from another Mac. No away around it.

MacSince1990
Aug 7, 2011, 12:39 PM
Windows PC's do not know how to handle classic applications and will damage them when copying them.

That's likely your problem. Classic applications contain non-standard bits that Windows tosses out. The app is already damaged by the time it makes it to your Powerbook.

Have to download from another Mac. No away around it.

This is true.

You can fix it actually with ResEdit... what they do is switch the Resource type with... I think the template type. Anyway, you can reverse them again in ResEdit.

pacmania1982
Aug 11, 2011, 08:39 AM
If the drivers are in an archive, such as .sit, .sea or .bin, the icon might look like a generic PC file, but you should still be able to drop it on StuffIt Expander for the archive to be decompressed.

The problem you are likely having is the fact that Windows doesn't know how to deal with Mac resource forks which is what is needed to tell the Mac OS, with what app to open a file with. Luckily resource forks are preserved in archives such as StuffIt archives. Not too sure about zip files however.

pac