Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richie3000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Just bought a Mac mini and was trying to create a USB OSX Lion boot drive by "re-downloading" the Lion installer from the App store and creating a thumb drive as many articles have highlighted.

The problem is: Lion came pre-installed on my machine and any attempt to download it again form the app store is a no-go as it's not listed under "previous purchases" and what would be a "buy" button simply reads "Installed" with no further options.

Anyone else figured this out?

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Option click purchases. It might be there. It was for me but I don't know how a preinstall works.

Also, just FYI, there is a hidden partition on your computer to do a clean install with if you need it later. If you replace the hard drive it will redownload the installer directly from Apple's servers. I realize there are reasons for a backup copy but if you were unaware of the former and you were trying to just make a backup of it you really don't need to.

You can try mounting that hidden partition and copying the dmg file over. Bit advanced, never tried it myself.

Last edited:

Cripps

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
You may just check if you can re-download Lion from the Apple store by "buying it".

I assume the OP does not want to pay for it as he already has it pre-installed and thus has already paid through his purchase.

wdhpgx

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
I pulled it off last weekend similarly. I wanted to re-install, so booted from recovery partition and let it download. Then rebooted, but instead of installing, brought up a Terminal window, saw the dmg, and scp'd it off to another machine on the network. I've written it to a flash drive, but haven't yet tried booting or installing from it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.