Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Okey dokey -- I have what amounts to a almost new 400mhz Tibook. Why almost new?

Because I have a 7 month old brand new logic board.
7 month old new keyboard.
7 month old new top case.
2 week old new middle case.
7 month old bottom case.
6 month old Hitcachi travelstar 40 gig hd, 5400rpm,
a 1 month old new Airport card,
2 six month old Kingston 512K ram chips --

plus i keep the top case and middle case in their original plastic protector wrap, plus i have an iskin keyboard protector -- so the case is untouched --

so the only thing "old" about my old Tibook is the battery, the LCD and the DVD CD rom drive which are all great.

My question to you today is -- I love the tibook -- should I bother buying a later model or upgrading the CPU when ALL I do is surf the web, use Word and email?

I don't game.

I rarely even watch movies and I don't have an iPod yet. (It came with a Smartdisk Titanium cd burner external because it doesn't burn)

Should I buy a Daystar 550mhz CPU upgrade?

Should I go to a 7200 rpm HD?

Because I have a feeling that since my useage is so basic, that even if I were to go to a 1ghz Tibook, IT STILL WOULD BE around the same speed for the way that I use the machine!

Am I right to just hang on to my pretty new old Tibook as is -- or is there any real time speed bump that I would enjoy with either a CPU/HD upgrade or a maxed out 1ghz Tibook?

Thanks guys -- I really thought about it and don't know the answer.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
If it works for you, don't bother upgrading. If you need more disk space do go for a higher capacity drive. You probably won't see much difference between a 5400 and a 7200 rpm drive on your system.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
I don't see any reason to upgrade you Ti Pb
if you need more storage, get a FW Harddisk... that will still be usable whenever you buy a new computer...

I would say use it until

a: you see its getting too slow, but since you're not a poweruser... that can take a while...

b: you have enough money and you really want a new computer ;-)

c: it brakes down beyond repair... (at least beyond repair that would make it as much as a new one for instance)

I had a TiPB G4 400Mhz with 1GB ram 20 GB HDD Airport it was very nice, had a new battery so I could use it for several hours without recharging, had an external CD-RW & HDD

I bought my G5 because somebody stole the TiPb... and I wanted to have a G5 for my studio anyway... but if that **** hadn't stolen the TiPb I guess I would still be using it all the time (because I don't want to sit in my studio when just surfing the web) & it was a great machine to take with me whenever I had to do a shoot on location...

I'm still looking forward to have the funds to buy a new Laptop... maybe even a 2nd hand I don't need the power but I could use the portability from time to time...

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
Sorry someone swiped your tibook. But thanks for the advice. The FW external HD is a great idea -- I do have the "new" replaced 10 gig hd on a usb external caddy. I guess I'm set. The real world speed for me wouldn't be worth the five or six hundred I'd spend to get a 1ghz tibook. I'm scared of the ALbooks and all that bending metal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.