Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Illumination

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
Hello all. I have an iBook G4 that's getting kinda old. The battery no longer holds a charge and the trackpad will not respond for maybe 15 seconds whenever I open it. I'm thinking about getting a used Macbook or iPad to use. Anyway, I was wondering if the laptop would be able to hook up to a new monitor. Would it be capable of working with a new monitor (I was thinking this one) or would I need an older monitor?

Sorry if I seem incompetent, I've never done this before :)

Thanks!

Hallivand

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Yep you can easily hook it up to an external monitor, what is your G4 speed anyway? I believe the iBooks required a hack to let it extend to an external monitor, since it was hobbled in place of the PowerBook G4 (iBooks could only mirror screen). But otherwise you shouldn't have any issues hooking it up, just make sure you have the mini-dvi to vga/dvi adapter :D

EDIT: just saw the link, you'll have no worries driving that. I drove a 1080p HP 21.5 inch LCD with my old Titanium PowerBook G4 ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.