PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to Lion - Lost my MS Word etc

Big Tav
Aug 4, 2011, 03:09 PM
Hi guys,

I have just upgraded to Lion and have lost my MS Word, powerpoint and excel and it says PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

What the hell does that mean? Do I have to buy them again? If so I might just go back to Snow Leopard as that will be cheaper.

Can anyone help with this one?

Hansr
Aug 4, 2011, 03:33 PM
Google Power PC and lion you will get millions of results explaining it. But yes your options are to downgrade or buy a more recent Office pack. 2004 was discontinued in 2007 so it might be worth investing in the latest one if you want to continue to use the machine with the latest OS. Office 2011 is $120.

old-wiz
Aug 4, 2011, 03:36 PM
Lion only supports Intel code. In earlier releases there was Rosetta, which was an Apple addition that would emulate PPC code.

You will need to get a newer version of the Microsoft apps; there's no way to get the PPC code to run under Lion.

afurry13
Aug 4, 2011, 04:00 PM
Get iWork, it's cheaper and does everything a casual user needs.

Big Tav
Aug 4, 2011, 05:48 PM
Can you write a word doc with iWork and copy it onto a USB drive and the open it from that on a PC and be 100% compatible or do I need office 2011 for that?

old-wiz
Aug 4, 2011, 06:11 PM
Can you write a word doc with iWork and copy it onto a USB drive and the open it from that on a PC and be 100% compatible or do I need office 2011 for that?

You would be able to copy it to USB and open it on PC in word, BUT there's no guarantee it would be 100% compatible. In fact even different versions of MS word create files that don't work 100% on the other.

Hansr
Aug 5, 2011, 02:06 AM

No you need office 2011 for that.