Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PMAvi8er

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2011
Florida
Hey all, I have a quick question for the FCP users in here. I am sure this is a quick preference change, However I am a noob. I have downloaded a few files that are given for free on Videocopilot.com. I import one of the files into FCP and during playback, there is a substantial amount of lag. I would assume this is because when the video appears in the viewer, it is at 50%, myself, thinking it will be a quick fix draws it to 100%. If this is the case, is there anyway to change the video itself so that it matches the sizes of my other video clips that I have in my timeline as to prevent dramatic footage sizes?
Thanks in advance

Flame suit on:)

VideoCave

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
OC
RE playback

The reason why you are having problems is anything downloaded from the internet is going to be a compressed format. For example h.264, mpeg etc...

Before dropping any video in an FCP timeline you need to convert it to an uncompressed codec so things playback fast with correct settings that FCP likes.

So what you need to do is open the video you downloaded in QT Pro and reExport it using ProRess. I always just use ProRess 422.

1. Open video in QTPro
2. File Export using "Movie to QuickTime Movie" also under the "Use" dropdown check "use default settings" this will reset the audio to be correct when reExporting for editing.
3. Click "Options"
4. Click "Size and choose either a 4:3 or 16x9 size (this will force a correct
aspect ratio)
5. Click "Settings"
- Under "Compression Type" select "Apple ProRes 422"
- Frame Rate 29.97 (this also will force the fps to be correct if its
something else that is wrong)
6. Export.

Now make a New Sequence in FCP, Open it and drop the video in the timeline and FCP should ask you if you want to "conform the sequence settings to match the video" say yes. And your done. Now this will increase the file size of the video alot because in order to work with video correctly its need to in some form of an uncompressed codec.

If you are limited with HardDrive space and want to work with video you will need to get the biggest HD storage you can because a single video file can be over 20gigs depending on length and if its SD or HD footage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.