Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

xcode_icon-150x150.jpg

Users looking to install the free Xcode 4.1 developer tools for OS X Lion released last month have been running into an issue that has caused difficulties with the installation process. During the installation process, users are prompted to quit iTunes if it is running, but the alert does not disappear even after iTunes has been quit and the installation remains stalled.

In Apple's support document on the issue, the company notes that users also need to quit the iTunesHelper process, which can be found in and exited from the Activity Monitor utility. Once iTunesHelper has been quit, the installation proceeds normally.

Apple today addressed that confusing behavior with the release of Xcode 4.1.1 through the Mac App Store, a small delta update that removes the installation alert that has been causing problems for users. Users who have already successfully installed Xcode 4.1 do not need to install the updated version.
What's New in Version 4.1.1

This is a delta update to Install Xcode.app that fixes the "Installation Alert" to quit iTunes. You do not need to re-run the installer if you already have Xcode 4.1 for Lion successfully installed, as the included tools are unchanged in this update.
Xcode 4.1.1 remains a free download in the Mac App Store, but does require OS X Lion.

Article Link: Apple Releases Xcode 4.1.1 Via Mac App Store to Address Installation Alert Issue

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
I knew it was unnecessary, but I decided to grab the upgrade anyway just to get rid of the notification, since it was small... except it started to download 3.17 GB worth. Not exactly small. Are the delta updates not working yet?

cragmr

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I knew it was unnecessary, but I decided to grab the upgrade anyway just to get rid of the notification, since it was small... except it started to download 3.17 GB worth. Not exactly small. Are the delta updates not working yet?

Delta Updates? Xcode? You are a funny guy.

KKramer

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
In my case it took a few seconds to download and install this update. Probably only a few megabytes.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY

No, it was a delta update. Are you sure you hadn't deleted the installer previously? It would redownload the entire thing if you had.

Delta Updates? Xcode? You are a funny guy.

Actually, Xcode should be coming in delta updates from now on. Apple mentioned at WWDC that Xcode 4.1 would be divided up into packages to reduce download size of updates, and if you check in the Install Xcode.app bundle, that's exactly what they did. It isn't perfect, but it seems we won't have to download the entire thing over again.

Hmm, I just noticed there's a package labeled "iPhoneSimulatorSDK4_3Patch1.pkg". That may mean that you won't even have to re-download entire packages in the future. I take it back. It seems like they did it perfectly! :D

Last edited:

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
Tried again, it still said 3.17 GB but it only took a minute. Guess they just don't show the overall size of the delta.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Apple mentioned at WWDC that Xcode 4.1 would be divided up into packages to reduce download size of updates...

They should use the LZMA algorithm to compress their packages (they use bzip2 and zlib (unoptimized version of the deflate algorithm), as part of the XAR framework. LZMA (compression level: Ultra & a 128 MB dictionary via "d=128m" in the 7-Zip GUI) compresses much better than these older algorithms.

http://tukaani.org/lzma/benchmarks.html
(yeah old)

and

@Apple: http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html
;)

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Getting this error when updating. Any ideas?

I'd go into the Xcode installer package and verify that the SDK package is actually in the directory. Then I'd check permissions to make sure nothing got screwed up on that end. If those don't work, you might have to just re-download the Xcode installer, but it sounds like a permissions problem. Be sure to check the folder's permissions as well. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, feel free to ask. :)

They should use the LZMA algorithm to compress their packages (they use bzip2 and zlib (unoptimized version of the deflate algorithm), as part of the XAR framework. LZMA (compression level: Ultra & a 128 MB dictionary via "d=128m" in the 7-Zip GUI) compresses much better than these older algorithms.

http://tukaani.org/lzma/benchmarks.html
(yeah old)

and

@Apple: http://www.7-zip.org/sdk.html
;)

Not that I know why or anything, but bzip2 and gzip are very common compression algorithms. They're usually the compression formats of choice for source code.

Last edited:

pewra

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Not that I know why or anything, but bzip2 and gzip are very common compression algorithms. They're usually the compression formats of choice for source code.

Generally it's simply that they have almost no speed impact on file operations, 7z is insane when used on text, but source code isn't usually that big to begin with. That said, developers would be wise to use compression a lot more than they do now.

For comparison, this access log is 664Mb, when zbzip2'd is 227Mb, and when 7zip'd is just 21Mb. Impressive sure, but 7z took 15 minutes, and almost 3Gb of ram to achieve that (and it's mostly repeating, plain text).

KKramer

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
Hmm looks like it's same build number as 4.1 posted on 20 Jul: 4B110

I wonder what is updated then

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio
I had Xcode previously installed before OS X Lion. I paid $4.99 for it if I remember right. After installing OS X Lion I deleted it entirely, and reinstalled for OS X Lion specifically.

I've went to thee Mac App. Store multiple times through out the day to check for an update. The message I get from the Mac App Store is "All apps are up to date". I run Xcode and check "About Xcode" it states "4.1".... Should it be reading "4.1.1."? I feel like I'm missing something, or don't quite understand. Could someone possibly get me on track? Thanks.

Attachments

• xcode.png
    xcode.png
    38.4 KB · Views: 131

KKramer

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2010
yes, same here, it says 4.1. Maybe version of sub-component like xcode itself changed

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I had Xcode previously installed before OS X Lion. I paid $4.99 for it if I remember right. After installing OS X Lion I deleted it entirely, and reinstalled for OS X Lion specifically.

I've went to thee Mac App. Store multiple times through out the day to check for an update. The message I get from the Mac App Store is "All apps are up to date". I run Xcode and check "About Xcode" it states "4.1".... Should it be reading "4.1.1."? I feel like I'm missing something, or don't quite understand. Could someone possibly get me on track? Thanks.

For me it appeared in the Purchases tab, but not the Updates tab. Probably because I had previously deleted the installer?

Does that mean I need to keep the 3 GB+ installer on my hard drive forever to get delta updates? On a 256 GB SSD Air drive that's already filling up, that's going to hurt.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Generally it's simply that they have almost no speed impact on file operations, 7z is insane when used on text, but source code isn't usually that big to begin with. That said, developers would be wise to use compression a lot more than they do now.

For comparison, this access log is 664Mb, when zbzip2'd is 227Mb, and when 7zip'd is just 21Mb. Impressive sure, but 7z took 15 minutes, and almost 3Gb of ram to achieve that (and it's mostly repeating, plain text).

The LZMA decompressor in the current LZMA SDK is faster than any software based GZIP or bzip2 decompressor. And 3 GB on a developer machine is not much. The target machine requires only 2 * dictionarySize MByte free RAM for decompression. 128 MByte is the current practical dictionary size limit of the 32-Bit LZMA compressor (64-Bit versions can support up to 4 GB in theory, but probably with "insane" RAM requirements like 50+ GB RAM for the compressor, and at least 8 GB for the decompressor).

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Yeah same here, MAS isn't showing me the update. I deleted the installer too. Maybe that's the reason?

My XCode says 4.1 and I got it after I installed Lion so I'm sure I downloaded and installed 4.1.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I had this installation issue and the solution was to go to activity monitor and quit the iTunes Helper app, which probably started at login. After that, Xcode 4.1 started just fine.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
For me it appeared in the Purchases tab, but not the Updates tab. Probably because I had previously deleted the installer?

Same here.

Does that mean I need to keep the 3 GB+ installer on my hard drive forever to get delta updates? On a 256 GB SSD Air drive that's already filling up, that's going to hurt.

It just works ;)

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Not very nice... so that those of use who stick with Snow Leopard will not be able to develop latest apps? Or I am missing something?

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
There is a free version of Xcode for Lion in the store. Make sure you aren't still using Xcode for Snow Leopard

Graig

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So has anyone actually tried and succeeded to install this new 4.1.1 of Xcode? Was it a smooth install with no problems? So far none of these comments say anything about the installation experience of this from the App Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.