Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Estra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
What title says. I just unboxed my iMac yesterday, and right now my Lion just finished downloading. I'm just wondering what's preferable. Install Lion then do memory upgrade after, or upgrade the ram while still using Snow Leopard then install Lion after upgrading the ram. I haven't bought the ram sticks yet, but I'm gonna order them by tonight. I just don't want to encounter some problems later in case I do something wrong. First time Mac user here, just switched from PC. :)

Even if you think it doesn't matter, what would you do?

Thanks in advance.

Lokheed

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
Doesn't matter in the least.

What would I do? Install it, use it, and then upgrade the RAM.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
If you install memory before updating, and something goes wrong, you'll know how the system (Snow Leopard) should behave.
If you install after updating to Lion, but before you know the system, and something goes wrong, you'll have two possible sources of trouble to sort out.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
If you install memory before updating, and something goes wrong, you'll know how the system (Snow Leopard) should behave.
If you install after updating to Lion, but before you know the system, and something goes wrong, you'll have two possible sources of trouble to sort out.

I agree..

upgrade - use - ensure all is good with RAM.

then, install Lion.

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008

Seconded. Install the new memory first. Test it for a while, make sure nothing's wrong. Once you know the memory's good, install Lion.

Estra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Lol thanks for the heads up. I guess that makes "the" difference. I was hoping for a response like that. I'm just concerned about "when something goes wrong"

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.