PDA

View Full Version : 15 minutes startup after fan replacement on MacBookPro17....

tzikisXL
Aug 4, 2011, 06:30 PM
I have a MBP17 Unibody Late 2009.....I replaced the right fan with a new one....After the replacement, ALL of the startups, take about 15-20 minutes....I took a photo of the startup screen....I have Lion, I have unchecked the Restore Applications function, I had reset the PRAM and NVRAM, but still the same.....

Any suggestions?????????

PS: I have published here my thread, because of the software matter, like the Startup time of Lion.....

Quad5Ny
Aug 4, 2011, 08:18 PM
That progress bar in that picture seems to suggest your starting up in Safe Mode.

Try these steps in order(your going to have Google some of them):

Reset NVRAM & SMC
Open Disk Utility, Verify your Partition Map & OS X partition
Open Terminal & Run all the periodic scripts - "sudo periodic daily, sudo periodic weekly, sudo periodic monthly", Repair Disk Permissions, Restart
Open Terminal & Check the permissions on your root - "cd /" then "ls -al@" (For SL I think they should be drwxrwxr-t root:admin)
Boot in Safe Mode, Restart, Open Terminal & run "sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force", Restart
Re-build the kext cache - Open Terminal & Type "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/", Repair Disk Permissions, Restart
Start in Verbose Mode and watch the startup output and see where it's going slow (Hold Command-V right after powering on)
Check if your HD cable is seated properly
Do a clean install of OS X
Call Apple

You don't need to do all of them. If your problem is fixed then stop at that number.

tzikisXL
Aug 5, 2011, 05:46 AM
@Quad5Ny

Thank you very much for your response.....Unfortunately, nothing from your suggestions worked for my problem, EXCEPT from clean install, which I am doing right now....

Should I try again Lion or it would be better to stay at Snow Leopard, and wait for more stable updates from Apple?

Thanks in advance.....

Jerome Morrow
Aug 5, 2011, 08:21 AM
@Quad5Ny

Thank you very much for your response.....Unfortunately, nothing from your suggestions worked for my problem, EXCEPT from clean install, which I am doing right now....

Should I try again Lion or it would be better to stay at Snow Leopard, and wait for more stable updates from Apple?

Thanks in advance.....

Install Lion if it works OK and restarts are normal then keep it otherwise you have no choice but to install Snow Leopard then.

tzikisXL
Aug 5, 2011, 08:37 AM
Install Lion if it works OK and restarts are normal then keep it otherwise you have no choice but to install Snow Leopard then.

I have just complete the Snow Leopard installation.....

The main question remains the same: Should I install Lion again?

I had Lion, which was working quite good, until I changed my fans....

So, for a MBP17'' with 8Gb RAM and a fresh 750Gb WD 7200, it should not be a problem to install Lion....But why I had these extremely long startups with Lion?

Two years with SL and everything was working perfect.....