Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chris1184

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Chicago
hello at the moment before i get an interface and a different mic, i am using a samson co1u usb mic to record something using logic...i am new to logic and have recently moved up from garageband...when i try to record my vocal over a beat i find that the level i am recording at is very quiet...even in my headphones that i use to monitor..i tried raising the actual volume on the computer..i tried raising the volume on the input bar from 0 db and still nothing...can anyone help? i like to hear myself clearly while recording and this kind of blows....also the beat i have which i am recording over is super loud...help a noob bout will ya? thank you in advance

Papanate

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
North Carolina
Search the manual for gain/trim.

But for the lack of initiative crowd...<G>

Click on an insert slot, go to utility, and then choose a Gain/Trim utility plug in.
Then boost the gain to a non distorting/digital overs level.

chris1184

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Chicago
Search the manual for gain/trim.

But for the lack of initiative crowd...<G>

Click on an insert slot, go to utility, and then choose a Gain/Trim utility plug in.
Then boost the gain to a non distorting/digital overs level.

thank you so much i will try that later ....i was actually driving in to work and remembered i didnt try messing wit the gain...thanks again!!!!

Leetut

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
how do i get rid of the hiss if i add gain and turn it upto to +24db?
because thats the only way i can hear anything from the mic

need a better solution

ive connected mic to usb input
its on audio track1 cos i can see volume bars moving if i tap mic but i cant hear anything, its too quiet, any ideas that dont involve mega hiss?

hopehigh

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Preston UK
low recording Vol

Ive experienced disappointingly low levels from Mics throughout my time as a hobby recordist. Keeping gain structures in check and combatting hiss can be a conundrum.
If you are using Logic and serious about recording, I would recommend any of the apogee audio interfaces. They are expensive, but the quality is excellent and the internal pre amps should give you all the level you need. It's also set up to work with logic and you can use it straight out of the box.

A cheaper option would be to buy a budget preamp (Ive had mixed success with these over the years) which are available for well under £100 sterling.

As I also work with a conventional, mixing console based set up I have just ordered an Alesis stereo tube preamp from a UK company unfortunately named PMT online! THey are selling the Alesis unit for under £50 sterling. I'll let you know if its any good / compatible with Logic.
Good Luck

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
IF you are using a USB mic, try this. Open the Audio MIDI Setup program - it should be in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. Use the Window > Show Audio Window menu if you don't already see it. There should be an icon in the left pane that represents your USB mic - click on it.

Now you should see a volume slider on the right (or two sliders if it's a stereo mic). You can raise the level here. I have an AT2020 USB mic and the default volume level was very low (about 40% IIRC).

Raise it up as high as you like here. You can even do this while Logic is running and you will hear the difference as you move the slider. This is what it looks like with my AT2020

Attachments

• volume.jpg
    volume.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 397

Leetut

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
IF you are using a USB mic, try this. Open the Audio MIDI Setup program - it should be in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder. Use the Window > Show Audio Window menu if you don't already see it. There should be an icon in the left pane that represents your USB mic - click on it.

Now you should see a volume slider on the right (or two sliders if it's a stereo mic). You can raise the level here. I have an AT2020 USB mic and the default volume level was very low (about 40% IIRC).

Raise it up as high as you like here. You can even do this while Logic is running and you will hear the difference as you move the slider. This is what it looks like with my AT2020

@hopehigh, none of that is a solution as it involves spending money lol
thanks for your input though, ive learned a lot from it;)

the Audio MIDI Setup program in the utilities folder is just the same as using the slider in system preferences/sound, moving either also moves the other.

i have it set on 85% so i can hear my acoustic guitar but there is too much hiss, if i turn it down to remove the hiss (@50%) i can no longer hear the guitar, even having a big 12 string dreadnoughts sound hole 1cm from the mic!!!

sample guitar & hiss @80% mic volume
http://www.mediafire.com/?uk4ad6wawgzt47o

im probably just worrying to much about it, gonna try and record a song then add some kind of hiss remover/noise reduction to the mic tracks, i suppose it aint that bad considering im only using a computer and a cheap usb mic:apple:

thanks for the replies!;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.