PDA

View Full Version : Lion constantly downloading something?

jamesmcd
Aug 4, 2011, 11:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm using Lion on my MacBook Pro 17" (2011 Sandy Bridge model), and I use Menu Meters to track download/upload activity. Annoyingly, this doesn't break down such activity to the process or application, and neither does Activity Monitor.

Anyway, my computer is constantly downloading about 50-150 KB/s. This is seriously going to use up my monthly allowance if it remains constant.

Any ideas? Has anyone else noticed this?

On a separate issue, my MBP won't install the latest Thunderbolt firmware update showing up in Software Update. Random.

EDIT: Ok, the problem was Mail. I've told it to omit attachments and now it's behaving. I guess it wanted to download every attachment I've had from 40,000+ emails. Wonderful.

jamesmcd
Aug 4, 2011, 11:59 PM
Oh fantastic. It just spiked to 3MB/s for a moment. Yeah, that will really destroy my allowance :(

iHateMacs
Aug 5, 2011, 03:04 PM
You should install Little Snitch. That shows you all the apps that are or have recently accessed the internet and also shows what server they are connecting to or have recently connected to.

You don't even need to buy it. That functionality works forever in demo mode

mr.wiggles
Aug 6, 2011, 04:05 PM
You don't even need to buy it. That functionality works forever in demo mode

Except that it shuts down network monitoring every three hours and you get prompted to start it up again. But yes, you can use it that way indefinitely without registering, if you don't mind being prompted every three hours.

iHateMacs
Aug 6, 2011, 05:49 PM
Except that it shuts down network monitoring every three hours and you get prompted to start it up again. But yes, you can use it that way indefinitely without registering, if you don't mind being prompted every three hours.

I thought it was just the Network Filter (the outgoing connection blocker) that only works for three hours at a time in the demo.

Does the network monitor also stop? I didn't think it did.

mr.wiggles
Aug 6, 2011, 07:23 PM
I thought it was just the Network Filter (the outgoing connection blocker) that only works for three hours at a time in the demo.

Does the network monitor also stop? I didn't think it did.

TomaYto - tomaHto... I meant filtering. The point is that if you're blocking stuff, it won't be blocked until you reactivate it once you get the three hour warning.

DewGuy1999
Aug 6, 2011, 09:03 PM
Oh fantastic. It just spiked to 3MB/s for a moment. Yeah, that will really destroy my allowance :(

Assuming you're using WiFi, you could disable WiFi and see what software starts complaining about not being able to connect to the internet.