PDA

View Full Version : Can only install from App store not download Lion

Duncan-UK
Aug 5, 2011, 05:40 AM
Wonder if anyone can help

I've been reading the various guides as to how to make a bootable DVD or USB disc of Lion and they all say that as a first step you should re-download the Lion installer app.

Fair enough, but whenever I go into the App store and look at my purchases, it just says install as an option - no ability to download.

So how can I merely download the installer?

Have tried holding down the alt key when I open purchases, as one site suggested, but this didnt change anything

Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Macman45
Aug 5, 2011, 05:44 AM
That you can't Download Lion Twice. I wanted to do the same thing, but was told you can only do this after you first Download Lion, but BEFORE you actually install it.

It's no big deal for me as the restore options are pretty good.

If you find a way of getting a copy for backup, let me know! :)

lfc
Aug 5, 2011, 05:53 AM
Open Mac App Store, Hold Option and click Purchases. Works for me

Macman45
Aug 5, 2011, 07:11 AM
But this won't install it right? I just want a copy for backup purposes :)

Duncan-UK
Aug 5, 2011, 09:10 AM
Open Mac App Store, Hold Option and click Purchases. Works for me

What actually "works"? - all I see is an option to install - I dont want to re-install the OS merely download the installer app - will this do this?

Rowf
Aug 5, 2011, 09:14 AM
Click install and the download will begin.
When the download has finished the installation will begin.

When the installer starts use Force Quit to cancel it.
The installer will be in your applications folder.

waynep
Aug 5, 2011, 09:21 AM
The install option in the app store downloads Lion and starts the install app, but that just sits there until you do something. You can then follow the instructions to burn a DVD that exist on the web. If you already have Lion installed, you can still redownload Lion. I did . . The instructions for doing so are here: http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/02/re-download-mac-os-x-lion-from-app-store/

Just Force quit the install app and you'll be fine. Then goto the Finder, goto the Applications folder and remove the install lion app by dragging it to the trash.