PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store switched Air Display Models

kpdillon
Aug 5, 2011, 08:36 AM
When I purchased my new MBA 2 weeks ago every machine on display had the LG display with the Toshiba SSD. I went back to the store 2 days ago and looked again and noticed every display was swapped out and now had Samsung SSD's. Needless to say I returned mine and re-purchased starting my two weeks all over again. I ended up with a Samsung SSD this time. They were so cool about it and completely understood my reasoning for wanting to switch it out.

The daytime employees didn't seem to have a clue that the display models had been switched out. I suppose they probably switch them out quite often during the night to clean them and refresh them but still interesting that there was 100% toshiba SSD drives and now there are 100% Samsung SSD drives.

vijayvasa
Aug 5, 2011, 08:40 AM
When I purchased my new MBA 2 weeks ago every machine on display had the LG display with the Toshiba SSD. I went back to the store 2 days ago and looked again and noticed every display was swapped out and now had Samsung SSD's. Needless to say I returned mine and re-purchased starting my two weeks all over again. I ended up with a Samsung SSD this time. They were so cool about it and completely understood my reasoning for wanting to switch it out.

The daytime employees didn't seem to have a clue that the display models had been switched out. I suppose they probably switch them out quite often during the night to clean them and refresh them but still interesting that there was 100% toshiba SSD drives and now there are 100% Samsung SSD drives.

Which store is this ? UK or US ?

KPOM
Aug 5, 2011, 08:41 AM
I don't know if that's anything unusual. How long does Apple keep any particular display unit out? Do they eventually sell them as open box or refurbished units? Perhaps the first shipment they got in were all LG/Toshiba, and the next shipment were Samsung/Samsung?

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 08:42 AM
Probably a clever plot to ensnare unsuspecting macbook air buyers. They look at the displays with the samsung ssds, but end up buying the one with the toshiba, and bam!-safari loads three hundredths of a second slower!

kpdillon
Aug 5, 2011, 08:50 AM
I don't know if that's anything unusual. How long does Apple keep any particular display unit out? Do they eventually sell them as open box or refurbished units? Perhaps the first shipment they got in were all LG/Toshiba, and the next shipment were Samsung/Samsung?

100% Samsung SSD's but still Toshiba screens. I am OK with the Toshiba screen though - it's very nice to my eyes.

davidwarren
Aug 5, 2011, 09:03 AM

I know the iMacs they run kids software on stay out for a long time. The ones in the louisville store have burn-in (or just image retention...) from the revolving software selections.

will0407
Aug 5, 2011, 09:03 AM
Probably a clever plot to ensnare unsuspecting macbook air buyers. They look at the displays with the samsung ssds, but end up buying the one with the toshiba, and bam!-safari loads three hundredths of a second slower!

LOL, I totally agree. I can't believe how anal some people are about getting the Samsung SSD. I reckon about 1% of people would actually notice a difference in speed. I had a Samsung 128GB in my 2011 air, I switched it with a 256GB toshiba from a 2010 13" air, and I can't see/feel any difference in speed whatsoever. Even if you're using monstrous sized files, surely the difference is likely to be a few seconds on whatever task is in question.

If you're exchanging for the display, then fair enough as you may actually be able to see a difference.

jackyyeow
Aug 5, 2011, 09:04 AM
100% Samsung SSD's but still Toshiba screens. I am OK with the Toshiba screen though - it's very nice to my eyes.

You mean LG?:D

jclardy
Aug 5, 2011, 09:39 AM
I just got my air, and I have the Toshiba SSD and LG screen. But unless i have any other issues I won't be exchanging it.

My screen does have a gradient at the bottom which is slightly annoying, but it is only the bottom 1 cm of the screen. Other than that viewing angles and black levels look good to me.

DarwinOSX
Aug 5, 2011, 03:39 PM
I think it is extremely unlikely that they replaced new Airs just to put Samsung displays out.

Cynicalone
Aug 5, 2011, 03:43 PM
The SSD issue only matters to geeks like us. Normal people don't give a ******. The same can be said for the display.

jeffgao
Aug 5, 2011, 03:50 PM
At my local Apple store, during the first few days when Lion and new Airs were first out, the in-store display of Airs were still the 2010 C2D generation with Lion installed. They told me they sold out the 2011 MBA inventory in two days. So I guess that was the reason why they were still using the old gen for display.

Maybe OP's store has a similar situation, and the LG/Toshiba ones were simply the older C2D generation?

imahawki
Aug 5, 2011, 04:05 PM
I'm probably going to regret asking this but I just bought a 13" air last night. How do I know what screen and SSD I got and why do I care?

KPOM
Aug 5, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'm probably going to regret asking this but I just bought a 13" air last night. How do I know what screen and SSD I got and why do I care?

You don't (care, that is). :)

Look under System Preferences, and then click on the System Info button. If you scroll to where it says SATA on the left, and click on it, you'll see a description of your SSD. If it says TSxxxC (where xxx is the size of your SSD e.g. 256), then you have a Toshiba drive. If it says SMxxxC, you have a Samsung drive. The Samsung rates a little bit faster on benchmarks, but it isn't really noticeable in everyday use.

There is a script to run in Terminal to determine whether you have an LG or Samsung screen. Both screens rate fairly similarly, though again some people perceive a slight advantage to the Samsung in viewable angles.

The Catalyst
Aug 5, 2011, 04:28 PM

No, don't care. Save yourself the misery and many sleepless nights.

side note: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1192807
(don't tell me I didn't warn you) =p

imahawki
Aug 5, 2011, 04:59 PM
I really probably wouldn't have cared honestly but it looks like I got a Samsung SSD and Display so now I can fairly easily pretend as if it wouldn't have mattered. Thanks!

hcho3
Aug 5, 2011, 05:02 PM
I have Samsung Screen and Samsung SSD, so already very happy. However, I cannot tell the difference between LG and Samsung Display.

eba
Aug 5, 2011, 06:04 PM
Pure coincidence. There's no material difference between the two screens. This is a pointless thread.

vitzr
Aug 5, 2011, 06:10 PM
I think it is extremely unlikely that they replaced new Airs just to put Samsung displays out.
I agree. It's most likely it was nothing more than a coincidence. The display units get abused by consumers. I would imagine they get switched out based on how they fare appearance wise, or if other problems arise due to abuse in the show room.

Duke15
Aug 5, 2011, 08:22 PM
I think theyve just finally used up the stock of toshiba SSDs and are now using the samsung ones exclusively, just from what I've read on the share your sad thread seems like theres less and less toshiba ones as time goes on, i may be wrong though

vitzr
Aug 5, 2011, 10:04 PM
Pure coincidence. There's no material difference between the two screens. This is a pointless thread.

I agree. I've used a lot of top of the line SSD's of different brands over the last three years. Unless the benchmark values are significantly different, in real world day to day usage, they're the same.