Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maccauni

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Apologies if this information or question is elsewhere but I can't seem to find an answer.

My question is can I use my mini DisplayPort equipped 27" iMac as a monitor with my 2011 13" Air?

If so what kind of cable will I need? thunderbolt to miniDisplayPort or just a mini DisplayPort to mini Displayport cable.

thanks in advance.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Should be mini-display port to mini-displayport. You only need a Thunderbolt cable if you are hooking up a Thunderbolt accessory or display.

maccauni

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
In this video the guy says that the cable has to be a thunderbolt cable but crucially speaks way too fast when talking about if the iMac has a mini display port.

maccauni

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
So I just called apple tech support and they confirmed it needs to be a thunderbolt cable (or a mini display port - thunderbolt cable, which i don't think exist).

Pretty disappointed mini display port to a mini display port doesn't work.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Your computers should be networked together. Instead of using a cable why not just use "Screen Sharing"?

hobbbz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2005
FYI I tried this setup with a TB cable and it didn't work. I think it needs to be MDP - MDP.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Well that blows... I have a 27" iMac and recently picked up a MBA. I was going to try hooking the MBA to the iMac this weekend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.