PDA

View Full Version : Best size for "Couch Surfing" ??

Sounds Good
Aug 5, 2011, 10:09 AM
Hi guys,

I realize size is a subjective thing, but I'm just looking for opinions...

When sitting on a couch with a laptop on your legs/lap, which size is best for viewing, typing, and physical comfort?

11.6"? 13.3"? Something else?

All opinions and comments on this subject are appreciated.

Thanks!

KPOM
Aug 5, 2011, 10:11 AM
I've had both the 11.6" and the 13.3", and while I chose to keep the 11.6", the 13.3" is better for the specific use you described.

maflynn
Aug 5, 2011, 10:18 AM
For me I like the iPad for couch surfing. It seems to be work better.

I think the 11" would be great alternative though.

urkel
Aug 5, 2011, 10:20 AM
iPad

If we're speaking purely about "Couch Surfing" then what do you need a keyboard or trackpad for? For me then regardless of how small a notebook is, they still generate heat and are awkward so I prefer the iPad for its cheaper price, convenience and simplicity.

Sounds Good
Aug 5, 2011, 10:22 AM
For me I like the iPad for couch surfing. It seems to be work better.
Hmm, good point -- maybe I should have said Couch "use" instead of "surfing." You're right, for simple casual "surfing" the iPad wins. But I often need to do more than just surf, which is where the laptop comes in.

pollaxe
Aug 5, 2011, 11:08 AM
As you've already noted, it's definitely a very subjective thing - I have the 13" MBA and it's a bit too small for me - I have to push my knees together a little whenever it's on my lap. Putting it on a cushion sorts this out though.

I have a first gen iPad too but much prefer using the MBA over it.

I am watching the reports of the rumoured/possible slimline 15" and 17" MacBooks with interest though....

Cynicalone
Aug 5, 2011, 11:20 AM
13" for me, but if I'm not doing any real work I'll just use the iPad.

MonkeySee....
Aug 5, 2011, 11:23 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about surfing your couch down the stairs or something.

Have to say i'm kinda disappointed. :(

For actual surfing probably the smallest most portable. As others have said maybe an iPad.

MacLappy
Aug 5, 2011, 03:08 PM
I think the 13" is a better choice for this specific application as it has a bigger and taller display, meaning you do not have to bend as low to read text on the screen. :D But i love the size of the 11", its the cutest!

maril1111
Aug 5, 2011, 03:10 PM
I sais 13 but thats cuz I only have a 13inch, however 15 seems a bit too big

The Catalyst
Aug 5, 2011, 03:23 PM
I think it really depends on your body size. I personally went with a 13" after trying out both sizes while sitting in a chair (buddy of mine owns the 11").

PaulWog
Aug 5, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hi guys,

I realize size is a subjective thing, but I'm just looking for opinions...

When sitting on a couch with a laptop on your legs/lap, which size is best for viewing, typing, and physical comfort?

11.6"? 13.3"? Something else?

All opinions and comments on this subject are appreciated.

Thanks!

11.6 inches is great for me. 13.3 inches would be better, but it's bulkier. So 11.6 inches is better in terms of how much space it takes up on my lap.

What would be ideal? The same frame as the 11.6-inch but with a larger screen (by 0.7 inches). That would allow for a 12.3 inch screen on the same body as the 11-inch Air, which would be absolutely perfect (it'd still leave room for a comfortable border around the screen too).

tigres
Aug 5, 2011, 03:58 PM
My wife likes the 11" but it depends on how she's holding it.

Sounds Good
Aug 5, 2011, 04:20 PM
What would be ideal? The same frame as the 11.6-inch but with a larger screen (by 0.7 inches). That would allow for a 12.3 inch screen on the same body as the 11-inch Air, which would be absolutely perfect (it'd still leave room for a comfortable border around the screen too).
Yeah, I agree. Actually I'd prefer a 16:10 ratio on the 11.6".

My wife likes the 11" but it depends on how she's holding it.
There's a joke there, but... :)

The Catalyst
Aug 5, 2011, 04:23 PM
zing!

3bs
Aug 5, 2011, 07:09 PM
I'd go with the 11"

tigres
Aug 5, 2011, 07:13 PM
:Dzing!

Friday humor

Dominus Mortem
Aug 5, 2011, 07:17 PM
I have both and I find that for couch surfing the 13 actually is more comfortable. The 11 and iPad aren't quite large enough to stay put. If you're small though it may not be an issue. The only time I dropped my iPad was when couch surfing with it because I couldn't keep it securely in place.