PDA

View Full Version : One wish for my weekend... gaming!

midnacht
Aug 5, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hey guys!

I love the design of the 11" MacBook Air combined with a cinema display. There is only one thing -one important question- that keeps me from buying it immediately:

Can I play WarCraft III with good fps on a MBA? Someone told me that using a cinema display makes the fps drop badly :(( Is that true?

I'd love to play my old school favorites Diablo 2 (nothing to speak of) and WarCraft III on high resolution.

ATM I use a Mac mini 2010. I'm very happy with it dispite the fact that StarCraft 2 lags :( WarCraft III fps are about 100-110 on the highest resolution (1680*1050 - old 22" aluminum display).

Is there any WC3 fanboy out there?!

Best regards and have a nice weekend!

Lord Appleseed
Aug 5, 2011, 10:31 AM
Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 will work since they are ancient, but the architecture may be a problem, as Lion drops Rosetta.
As for the Cinema Display: you have to have reasonable resolutions. The MBA will certainly not be able to handle gaming on 1920x1080 or even 2560x1440.

Oppressed
Aug 5, 2011, 10:37 AM
2010 MBA will be able to play WCIII just fine. I play it sometimes on my 11 inch as well.

midnacht
Aug 5, 2011, 10:42 AM
2010 MBA will be able to play WCIII just fine. I play it sometimes on my 11 inch as well.

Do you play it with or without an additional display?

i've heard that the 2010 MBA graphics are better than the new ones? true?

Oppressed
Aug 5, 2011, 10:46 AM

Yes, but that old of a game will run just fine on both versions of the MBA. Keep in mind that the 2011 MBA cannot run Diablo 2 though.

Also you will be able to play it through an external screen.

striker33
Aug 5, 2011, 10:53 AM

HD3000 is better in OS X, so it should run better than last years if you install it natively. You won't be able to use the disc based installation method though since there's no more Rosetta. You'd have to download it off your Acc Mgmt page on battle.net.

midnacht
Aug 5, 2011, 10:56 AM
Keep in mind that the 2011 MBA cannot run Diablo 2 though.

I want to cry :'(((

Anyway: Is there a big difference in the graphics? Shall I try to get an "old" one?

Can you speculate on diablo III? Will I be needing a new iMac in the near future or can a MBA handle that?

Oppressed
Aug 5, 2011, 11:19 AM
Despite Intel HD 3000 being better under OSX then Windows it still does not beat out the 320m.

As for Diablo 3 we won't know until beta which is set for a couple of months.

reclusive46
Aug 5, 2011, 01:26 PM
I hate to break it to you but W3 doesn't work with Lion because it dropped Rosetta so it won't work.

Oppressed
Aug 5, 2011, 02:41 PM
I hate to break it to you but W3 doesn't work with Lion because it dropped Rosetta so it won't work.

Yes it does.

CausticSaint
Aug 5, 2011, 06:03 PM
Yes it does.
Really? I just went to battle.net and downloaded the installer, only to get this when I try to run it:

"You can't open the application Installer because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

Have you actually gotten the game to install/run under Lion?

Oppressed
Aug 5, 2011, 06:08 PM
Really? I just went to battle.net and downloaded the installer, only to get this when I try to run it:

"You can't open the application Installer because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."

Have you actually gotten the game to install/run under Lion?

Well I'm running Lion and when I click my Warcraft 3 icon it loads fine. Maybe the installer can't be run but the program itself can? Which I think might be the case with Diablo 2.

CausticSaint
Aug 5, 2011, 06:33 PM
Well I'm running Lion and when I click my Warcraft 3 icon it loads fine. Maybe the installer can't be run but the program itself can? Which I think might be the case with Diablo 2.
That's it! :)

I ran the installer on my iMac (10.6.8) and then copied the directory to the Air. It runs fine, but I'm getting an odd graphics issue:

http://www.wheresdrew.com/images/War3lion.png

It seems as though there's a layer of graphics missing. Do you get this when you run it, Oppressed?

Oppressed
Aug 5, 2011, 06:40 PM
That's it! :)

I ran the installer on my iMac (10.6.8) and then copied the directory to the Air. It runs fine, but I'm getting an odd graphics issue:

Image (http://www.wheresdrew.com/images/War3lion.png)

It seems as though there's a layer of graphics missing. Do you get this when you run it, Oppressed?

Nope, let it patch to the newest version.

LeakedDave
Aug 5, 2011, 07:04 PM
Warcraft 3 and Diablo 2 will work since they are ancient, but the architecture may be a problem, as Lion drops Rosetta.
As for the Cinema Display: you have to have reasonable resolutions. The MBA will certainly not be able to handle gaming on 1920x1080 or even 2560x1440.

Get out of here. I play Quake Live at 2560x1440 and warcraft 3 at 2560x1440 both smooth as smooth balls.

CausticSaint
Aug 5, 2011, 07:18 PM
Weird. I updated (on the iMac, as the patch won't run under Lion either) and the problem is still there:

http://www.wheresdrew.com/images/War3lion2.png

It only cropped up in the game at the end of a mission, but it's really annoying when it does. Any ideas?

LeakedDave
Aug 5, 2011, 07:20 PM
Weird. I updated (on the iMac, as the patch won't run under Lion either) and the problem is still there:

Image (http://www.wheresdrew.com/images/War3lion2.png)

It only cropped up in the game at the end of a mission, but it's really annoying when it does. Any ideas?

Wish Blizzard would stop being so effing lazy.

CausticSaint
Aug 5, 2011, 07:24 PM
Wish Blizzard would stop being so effing lazy.
Lol. :)

At least WoW runs okay, and at better settings than my iMac could manage. It does make the fan howl a bit, but I expected that.

thejadedmonkey
Aug 5, 2011, 07:30 PM
wish apple would stop effing breaking backwards compatability.

ftfy. ;)

MXSkier62
Aug 5, 2011, 08:32 PM
This is really the only game I wanted to have on my MBA but when I found out that I couldn't install it I got really bummed. Would it work if I installed it on my old computer, then copied it to myself somehow? How would I do that? And I'd want to do that after patching right?

CausticSaint
Aug 5, 2011, 08:37 PM
This is really the only game I wanted to have on my MBA but when I found out that I couldn't install it I got really bummed. Would it work if I installed it on my old computer, then copied it to myself somehow? How would I do that? And I'd want to do that after patching right?
That's how I got it to run. Downloaded the installer and patch from battle.net, ran them on my 10.6.8 iMac, then copied the whole W3 directory over the network. Installed and patched it's only 650mb, so you could easily put it on a USB stick to copy it to your Air as well.

LeakedDave
Aug 5, 2011, 08:38 PM
ftfy. ;)

Yes but it still doesn't excuse Blizzard's laziness. Blizzard has billions of $$ and tons of employees. They can spend a few hours compiling to Intel.

Anyways I need a "patched" warcraft as I don't have my snow leopard machine anymore. Any chance someone can zip their fully patched Warcraft 3 folder and upload it and PM me link? Can't even play online without the patch -_-

TimDavis
Aug 5, 2011, 08:55 PM
I can't wait for Diablo 3 :D

Got my new mba 11inch but now i need to get a new macbook pro to game on haha, hopefully the macbook pro with ivy bridge comes out soon cause ima be getting that one instantly just for d3!
:rolleyes: