Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Looking for suggestions on sweat-proof headphones to use with my iPhone. Headphones must absolutely be sweat proof as I have just destroyed my last two pairs at the gym this week. I really like the idea of Bluetooth headphones but they don't seem to deliver. I had Motorola S9-HD's, but the sound quality was lacking and I got a good deal on Plantronics backbeat 903's. These have been great, except that the sweat destroyed them. I got a replacement under warranty, but I dont want to ruin these at the gym too. I don't really mind wired ones, but would strongly prefer bluetooth headphones. Having iPhone controls is definitely important to me, as well as overall comfort while running.

Anyone have any suggestions?

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
Looking for suggestions on sweat-proof headphones to use with my iPhone. Headphones must absolutely be sweat proof as I have just destroyed my last two pairs at the gym this week. I really like the idea of Bluetooth headphones but they don't seem to deliver. I had Motorola S9-HD's, but the sound quality was lacking and I got a good deal on Plantronics backbeat 903's. These have been great, except that the sweat destroyed them. I got a replacement under warranty, but I dont want to ruin these at the gym too. I don't really mind wired ones, but would strongly prefer bluetooth headphones. Having iPhone controls is definitely important to me, as well as overall comfort while running.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm not a fan but Jaybird has a couple different bluetooth models. I know you said you haven't much luck with bluetooth but you might want to at least check them out.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I'm not a fan but Jaybird has a couple different bluetooth models. I know you said you haven't much luck with bluetooth but you might want to at least check them out.

I have looked at them, interested in the JF3 model.

Right now it is between the JayBird JF3 and Phillips SHB6000. Wondering if anyone can comment on either of these or has any other suggestions.

Like I said, wired isnt out of the question, but they will need to be cheap (under $50) and durable. I don't mind spending up to $100 for bluetooth headphones, so long as they work.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
I had the JF3s for about a day - hated them. If you search in this forum, you'll see what I didn't like about them. I have no experience with the other ones though.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I have the Jaybird SB2 Bluetooth headphones and I use these exclusively when I work out (and around the house occasionally as well). Jaybird claims they are sweatproof and I have had no problems with them whatsoever so far (I've had them for about a year now). Sound quality is decent and I like they way they fit.

I also have the Motorola SD headphones but prefer the Jaybirds over them.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
I would try to avoid Jaybird. The quality isn't there. Motorola has better options.

I actually have to disagree here. The new jaybirds JF3 Freedoms are really quite excellent. They stay in the ear very well. I use them for working out and mowing my yard. They are sweat proof and the sound is actually quite good. The bass is present and enjoyable. I have used the Motorolas as well. I just really don't like the solid band behind the head. It really does cause issues when working out and laying back on any bench. You don't have that with the jaybirds. Now I should say that I actually do not use the included earplugs with mine. I use a pair of Comply 400's which work awesome and are super comfortable. I use these with most of my IEM and just can't go back to the silicone tips. I do use their "secure fit cushions" though with the Comply ear tips. This seems to be the winning combination for me. Check them out.

reebzor

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
So I just bought the JayBird JF3's. They suck just as much as other bluetooth headphones I've used, but for different reasons.

The range on these is almost as terrible as the Motorola's. The sound quality is the best out of the three I've used. Maybe I just havent gotten used to them yet but they are not very comfortable. The cord makes it impossible to turn your head without moving the headphones.

I dunno. Although the JF3's sound better, and they are sweat proof, I still like the BackBeat 903's the best. I just wish they would stand up to some use. I guess I will keep the JayBirds for a while.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
here is my solution ay least I'm happy with them. I am not a huge Sweater but I did accidentally wash and try them about a year ago and they still work. there old but you can get the cheap on ebay I have also had 0 issues with it falling out. Also you can convert them from Stereo to Mono ebay

Plantronics Voyager 855

plantronics-voyager-855-bluetooth-headset.jpg

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
So I just bought the JayBird JF3's. They suck just as much as other bluetooth headphones I've used, but for different reasons.

The range on these is almost as terrible as the Motorola's. The sound quality is the best out of the three I've used. Maybe I just havent gotten used to them yet but they are not very comfortable. The cord makes it impossible to turn your head without moving the headphones.

I dunno. Although the JF3's sound better, and they are sweat proof, I still like the BackBeat 903's the best. I just wish they would stand up to some use. I guess I will keep the JayBirds for a while.

Agreed, the cord is useless.

JayBird%20Freedom%20Bluetooth%20Headphones%20Cable.jpg

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I've been using a pair of Jaybird SB2s for about 8 months ( maybe 600 miles of running) and they have worked great, until this past weekend, when I was halfway through a long run and they crapped out on me. At first, the volume shot up to max, then I got constant beeping (a signal you have hit the top of the range) then I tried turning them don and it did not work. Eventually I stopped and turned them off. Started up and they were fine for maybe 20 seconds then it went down to minimal volume with more beeps and the phones paused my workout. I am in the process of a warranty claim so we will see how they do.

eddyb1

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2010
Best headphones for running or the gym

The best solution for listening to music whilst exercising is the FX-Sport VR1 model by FX-Sport. The 8gb mp3 is built in so no need for bluetooth or to carry your phone. The quality is far better and they are water resistant. They are more techy than that though. They have text to speech for music navigation and you can program in your own words to act as your own personal trainer through out the session.
I think there have been lots of average ways of getting that music hit while training, but this looks like something that has been properly purpose made.
http://www.fx-sport.net

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.