PDA

View Full Version : Are MacBook Pro users jealous?

CaliforniaKing
Aug 5, 2011, 01:10 PM
The Macbook pro is stuck in a hard place right now, there isn't much of a performance difference between the Air and Pro, and the Air is significantly snappier due to the SSD. If Apple doesn't give it a decent dedicated GPU in the next refresh I really see no reason for it to stick around.

Hans Brix
Aug 5, 2011, 01:23 PM
Resolution would be one reason to buy a MBP. I have a work issued laptop with 1440x900 resolution and find it lacking.

VMMan
Aug 5, 2011, 01:24 PM
I think my 2011 MBA 11" i5 is great, but it's also having me appreciate my 2011 MBP 17" a lot more, too.

When I use my MBP 17", the computer's screen just seems more mammoth, now. Even without the SSD on the MBP, it's crazily fast. I always refer to the MBP as "the beast".

I have no nickname for my MBA, but "beast" doesn't come to mind. I think of it more as a... the little train that could, or something.

Basically, each device serves its niche purposes even better now, since the big MBP doesn't have to try and be my ultra portable, and the MBA doesn't have to struggle to be my workhorse.

You appreciate tools better when you use them for more defined purposes. A stapler can function as a hammer, but you appreciate it more when you use it to staple paper.

darwin022
Aug 5, 2011, 01:25 PM
In one word: NO

In more than one word: No way. I've got a 2011 17" i7, 2.2, Vertex 3 + 750GB spinny, 8GB RAM. It is hands down a much better and MUCH faster machine than the 13" i5 Air I just picked up.

The screen on the MBP is far superior to both the LG (CRAP) display in the first Air I got and still looks better than the Samsung screen in the replacement air. Also take into account the resolution- 1920x1200 is a nice resolution for multitasking. 1440x900 isn't bad, but it needs Spaces.

Speed: I don't know what Apple calls "instant on" but I notice quite a bit of lag between opening the lid and getting a login prompt on the air. The MBP is instant. That's not taking into account the faster and better processor (and 4 core vs. 2 core), twice the RAM, etc.

They are totally different machines for different jobs. I see the 17" MBP as a desktop replacement. It's a fantastic every day heavy use machine.

The Air is a lightweight occasional use machine- good for surfing the web, checking email, remote desktop into other machines, in bed, etc. It's probably going to be a good travel machine as well.

Just my $.02 on this question :) Both are good machines that complement each other well, but neither can do the same job as the other as well.

edit: sup 2011 17" + 2011 Air buddy

idroid84
Aug 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
What sort of title is this to Apple users. All of their products are bloody marvellous. No need to cause ripe between people is there?

PaulWog
Aug 5, 2011, 01:27 PM
The Macbook pro is stuck in a hard place right now, there isn't much of a performance difference between the Air and Pro, and the Air is significantly snappier due to the SSD. If Apple doesn't give it a decent dedicated GPU in the next refresh I really see no reason for it to stick around.

Are you referring to the Macbook Pro 13-inch specifically? The 15-inch and 17-inch versions of the Pro all have dedicated graphics cards; of course, the base-line 15-inch (for the price they're asking) should come with a better graphics card to begin with.

(Note also an SSD can be added to a Pro very easily, or a Pro can be ordered with one in it -- I guess for a premium price).

Anyways, I still considered the 13-inch Macbook Pro, because I was considering the 13-inch Air. If it was a 13-inch notebook I wanted, I would've gotten the Pro instead of the Air for these reasons:
1) Runs cooler
2) Superior screen
3) True unibody
4) Solid battery life (about the same I suppose)
5) Disc drive
6) More slots
7) I simply love the look of the Macbook Pro

But those reasons hold on very thinly to my attention: I chose the 11-inch Air because it's simply my favorite Apple product.

What I will agree with you is this: The 13-inch Pro should come with a better graphics solution. Competitors manage it in laptops with the exact same thickness and exact same size: Apple should manage this as well. In our house we have two 13-inch laptops by Acer which are practically identical in size to the 13-inch Pro; one uses a 5650 graphics card, and the other uses a 6550 graphics card (the latter being newer and slightly superior in overall performance). Both computers use i5 processors, and are fitted with all the normal stuff (they run basically silent, they run cool or at hottest just warm). If a Macbook Pro 13-inch came with a 6550 graphics card (or equivalent), it would be a smoking deal. The 15-inch and 17-inch models should also follow suit from there, incrementally increasing the graphics power (which essentially they do, but currently I think their graphics offering is a little tame).

jclardy
Aug 5, 2011, 01:35 PM
As a 2010 MBP user I guess I was, as I ended up with an 11" Air :D

But the 2011 MBP's actually have quite a bit better performance because of their quad core CPU's. Plus the dedicated graphics in the 15" and 17".

I guess those with a 13" might be, but that is because Apple is just being weird with the 13" (Better display, but worse resolution, no dedicated graphics).

I am going to be ditching my 2010 15" MBP once I can sell it as the air has everything I need...except for graphics performance. I am just praying for a thunderbolt graphics adapter to be released and compatible with the air, then it will be the perfect machine for me.

notjustjay
Aug 5, 2011, 01:41 PM
Put it this way: I put a 750 gb drive in my MacBook Pro. It's half full.

No way I'd survive on just a 128 gb or even a 256 gb SSD.

Fernandez21
Aug 5, 2011, 01:56 PM
What sort of title is this to Apple users. All of their products are bloody marvellous. No need to cause ripe between people is there?

Nu-uh, my apple product is better than yours! In fact apple should just drop yours altogether because it sucks so bad compared to mine! My apple product is what all the cool kids are getting, yours is just stupid.

TimDavis
Aug 5, 2011, 01:58 PM
Put it this way: I put a 750 gb drive in my MacBook Pro. It's half full.

No way I'd survive on just a 128 gb or even a 256 gb SSD.

external hard drive

solved

TimDavis
Aug 5, 2011, 01:59 PM
I am just praying for a thunderbolt graphics adapter to be released and compatible with the air, then it will be the perfect machine for me.

is this possible? i would buy one in a heart beat

notjustjay
Aug 5, 2011, 02:25 PM
external hard drive

solved

Oh, I've got several of those. I've got a NAS too with a TB of storage. The reason I upgraded my MBP to the 750 GB drive (it originally had 120 GB, similar to the current MBA) is because I was tired of plugging/mounting external drives for some collections of files, or shuffling files off the drive to make room for others. 750 GB (I wanted a TB drive, but they didn't make one in 9.5mm form factor at the time) is enough that I can do what I need to do without worrying about whether I'll have enough space.

I'm thinking of getting a 13" MBA, and if I do, it will be a lovely travel/mobile machine. But it will not be the main storage location for my files -- which will continue to be kept on the network, in the cloud, or on my main workhorse computer, which will continue to be the MBP.

Fernandez21
Aug 5, 2011, 02:55 PM
Oh, I've got several of those. I've got a NAS too with a TB of storage. The reason I upgraded my MBP to the 750 GB drive (it originally had 120 GB, similar to the current MBA) is because I was tired of plugging/mounting external drives for some collections of files, or shuffling files off the drive to make room for others. 750 GB (I wanted a TB drive, but they didn't make one in 9.5mm form factor at the time) is enough that I can do what I need to do without worrying about whether I'll have enough space.

I'm thinking of getting a 13" MBA, and if I do, it will be a lovely travel/mobile machine. But it will not be the main storage location for my files -- which will continue to be kept on the network, in the cloud, or on my main workhorse computer, which will continue to be the MBP.

I know what you mean, that's why I plan on getting a time capsule, it also works as a wireless and I won't have to worry about plugging stuff in.

maril1111
Aug 5, 2011, 03:01 PM
My short and sweet answer is NO

Apple OC
Aug 5, 2011, 10:07 PM
Why would MBP users be jealous? ... they have the better laptop.

just being user up-gradeable on the Ram makes it better. :cool:

macbookpro45
Aug 5, 2011, 10:26 PM
I have a mbp and I'm not. But I have an AIR too :O

clyde2801
Aug 5, 2011, 10:37 PM
Why would MBP users be jealous? ... they have the better laptop.

just being user up-gradeable on the Ram makes it better. :cool:

I agree! I'll trade you my ibookg4 for your 2011 Air. Oh, and you can throw in a couple of hundred bucks, just to keep things fair.:D

urkel
Aug 5, 2011, 10:54 PM
What makes people think that Pro users would prefer size over features and functionality? Thin is nice but if it comes at the expense of losing ports or usefulness then its a gimmick that a working professional could care less about.

I moved from an MBP to Air and while I am happy, it's a pain that I no longer can use my FireWire drives, I need to carry an ethernet Dongle and the 7200 WD Black drive I was using in my Pro is now a USB2 drive that eats up a USB spot on the Air. These are inconveniences that most Pros wouldnt want to put up with just because Apple convinced the consumer market that versatility is no longer important.

Vudoo
Aug 5, 2011, 11:26 PM
I have a 15" MBP and my wife has the 13" MBA. Am I jealous? No, since the Air is fine for internet stuff but it doesn't have the capacity I need in terms of disk space or screen size for photo editing.

thelead
Aug 5, 2011, 11:28 PM
I'm already considering a 13" MBA, but the lack of quality screen (like in the MBP's) makes it a difficult choice.

Neverbepeace
Aug 6, 2011, 12:28 AM
Bought the 11.6 2011 Air.......Liked it.....decided to try the 13.3 Air.......was ok. Returned the 13.3 for the 11.6. Then, decided to try the pro 13.3 (Which i am typing this on now)

So no...I'm not jealous. I am thinking about my final decision for the 11.6 though:rolleyes:

Fasailmac
Aug 6, 2011, 12:34 AM
Bought the 11.6 2011 Air.......Liked it.....decided to try the 13.3 Air.......was ok. Returned the 13.3 for the 11.6. Then, decided to try the pro 13.3 (Which i am typing this on now)

So no...I'm not jealous. I am thinking about my final decision for the 11.6 though:rolleyes:

you may not be jealous but you definitely are not satisfied. The 11.6 i7 is the best laptop apple has made. So much power in such a small form factor.

kamuix
Aug 6, 2011, 01:24 AM
its hard to compare the two machines as the tasks each perform are for different needs. apples and oranges. the mbp offers people a portable workhouse to do jobs needed on the go. the mba is the ultimate portable, allowing people to move about with ease. the mbp can be easily upgraded with ssd and with a dedicated graphics card, can pull more punches than the mba.

to be honest, if my mbp didn't die back in feb, i would have ignored the mba i have now. both are great machines to perform the tasks that they were built for.

adnoh
Aug 6, 2011, 02:17 AM

The 15" and 17" MBP are powerhouses that will smash the Air.

n8236
Aug 6, 2011, 02:35 AM
I have the most current high-end MBP and I am a bit jealous. Mainly jealous of the SSD speed and form factor.

Obviously, I can't have it all because a form factor MBA with a 500 GB SSD and dedicated GPU wouldn't exist :D

Both machines have give-and-takes.

go4theko
Aug 6, 2011, 02:39 AM
Everyone is jealous. Because they don't have the newest apple product. Thats how it goes. Score 1 for the apple marketing team

Lord Appleseed
Aug 6, 2011, 02:49 AM
Someone who buys a Pro wants Pro Abilities. So i dont think they are jealous over the MBA, which is quick and strong, but does not offer all the things the Pro can.

bobbytallant
Aug 6, 2011, 03:20 AM
As a guy that has just gone from a 2011 MBP to a 2011 MBA I have to say whilst I am not overall greatly missing the MBP I do think the hi-res screen that I opted for with the MBP is something that I will particularly miss. There is a notable difference - also the waking up time between the 2 machines is noticeable (just, but still noticeable).

The fact that the Air is able to handle all of my activities (which are not demanding) extremely well and physically/cosmetically the thing is just way way above the MBP was enough for me to make the change. The MBA actually currently runs much quieter generally than my 2.2 i7 MBP with SSD which is great really.

I guess I came to the realisation that I simply do not require the power of the Pro and the Air is now at the stage where it can more than handle my needs.

(Plus I sold my MBP for 1600 and bought a MBA ultimate for around 1170 after my student discount etc. :cool:)

fruitycups
Aug 6, 2011, 07:12 AM
As a guy that has just gone from a 2011 MBP to a 2011 MBA I have to say whilst I am not overall greatly missing the MBP I do think the hi-res screen that I opted for with the MBP is something that I will particularly miss. There is a notable difference - also the waking up time between the 2 machines is noticeable (just, but still noticeable).

i agree. bought the air 2 days ago and it reminded me how amazingly thin it is. for a split second there i missed having my air and was going to sell my 15" high res instead. but than after a few hours that feeling wore off. i don't even fully take advantage of the pro but i just feel like it'll be the more well equipped machine future wise. i should note that the 2 inch reduction also had me surprised. it was quite noticable.

its gonna be a bi*** my last year in college though. carrying this sucker blows. thats when i wish i had the air.

fruitycups
Aug 6, 2011, 07:13 AM
I have the most current high-end MBP and I am a bit jealous. Mainly jealous of the SSD speed and form factor.

Obviously, I can't have it all because a form factor MBA with a 500 GB SSD and dedicated GPU wouldn't exist :D

Both machines have give-and-takes.

question is

form factor >>>> over your pro features?

withoutyou
Aug 6, 2011, 07:28 AM
They are totally different machines for different jobs.

I second that.

Stangs55
Aug 6, 2011, 10:45 AM
Jealous?

I'm putting my 2010 High-Resolution Anti-glare 2.66 Ghz i7 MBP on ebay this week because I don't see myself going back to it after getting ahold of the MBA. It'll be great for a power user, but my Mac needs are different.

So no, I'm not jealous at all.

nebulos
Aug 6, 2011, 11:52 AM
who deleted the student discount thread?

it was all i had going this weekend.

(Nuts, it was a crazy thread, same OP. i didn't respond to your question so as to avoid a faux bump here and push this thread down the toilet too.)

ratzzo
Aug 6, 2011, 12:05 PM
I changed careers so I no longer have the need for a complete MBP 15". I am jealous in the sense that I could just have a slimmer laptop for nearly half what I paid! I'll buy an Ivy Bridge MBA and sell this MBP when time comes :)

NutsNGum
Aug 6, 2011, 12:14 PM
who deleted the student discount thread?

it was all i had going this weekend.

Why are you posting this here?

wegster
Aug 6, 2011, 01:10 PM
Funny thread. I'd say it might show us that the OP needs validation, or is still in teenage mode of thinking a gadget makes him/her more "cool" somehow. :-/

They're different machines, and different purposes.
The MBA form factor is cool, but the only real comparison is to the 13" MBP; the others simply blow away the Air entirely on everything. That doesn't mean the Air is worthless, but it has limitations vs ALL of the Pros - RAM, storage, lack of ethernet (please let's not compare a multi-system network on a single wireless channel vs switched Gigabit ethernet - the instant more than a single user exists, or NAS or media servers are introduced along with backups, major fail), lack of front row/remote support for those that use it (I don't, but some do). The only real comparison point is with the 13" MBP. Until the MBP is refreshed at least, the CPU power difference is pretty much equal. RAM, firewire, ethernet, optical drive, max storage space is not.

Some of those are down to individuals, as well as people thinking they need more than they actually do. Some people buying Pros might not really need 8GB of RAM, or 1TB of storage. Others may have a media server or NAS and rarely need large local storage, and may not have any firewire devices, nor use Gigabit ethernet even though it's vastly superior to wireless. In those cases, it's a tough call, and the Air might be a better deal. For someone with a desktop system at home, so for only casual or travel use, the Air might be a great deal. The Air would make a great second computer, or an occasional travel computer, or for those whose focus is more on document creation, lighter development tasks (meaning no virtual machines, let alone multiple), perhaps photo editing but not large numbers or amount of video editing, etc. The Air would be great for most students, unless they have a 500GB+ music and/or movie collection not on a NAS or in the could. The Air would be great for my Mom, and even overkill for some casual email/web/chat/skype focused users.

Where it starts to lack is for those that are doing specific types of professional work day in and day out. Now, if the Air had a maximum RAM of 8GB, and a Thunderbolt breakout box to include gig ethernet - it would really narrow the gap with the 13" Pro, so much that I would have considered one - 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, and Gig ethernet - would have me considering one vs my 2011 quad core MBP, as it would still be less CPU power overall, but the SNB chips are really quite competent, and I could for the most part cope with a dual core vs quad core, if it had everything else and was at a significant savings, for ME. Certainly that would put it a LOT closer to the 13" Pro, neither having discrete graphics cards.

As it is now, for the Air vs the 13" Pro, it's form factor/weight, Apple SSD and slightly higher resolution (which is indeed needed on the 13" Pro, IMO), against much more storage, more RAM, optical drive, ethernet, firewire - that tradeoff is worth it for some, or not even a tradeoff at all for some, in favor of the Air, while for some professionals the Air is a non-starter. The Air in it's current incarnation is close to something I could use day in and out as a primary system, but not there yet, so it remains an iPad with a keyboard - a neat toy or second/third system, but not one that can replace my daily system I use for work.

What will be interesting to see is the next 1-2 generations of Pros and the Air. It's not impossible that all of the Pros start going the way of the Air, although if they remove some capabilities it's going to upset a lot of Pro users, and it's also a possibility of seeing the Air next gen or two replace the 13" Pro. Right now, it's not there yet for those who have decided they can cope with the smaller screen/res of the 13" Pro (maybe mostly using an external monitor), but need the extra RAM and storage, gig ethernet, etc.

(marc)
Aug 7, 2011, 06:42 AM
No.

maflynn
Aug 7, 2011, 06:45 AM
I'm content with my MBP. There will always be a faster machine coming down the road. My current MBP does what I need it to do and that's all I ask.

teerexx52
Aug 7, 2011, 07:03 AM
I have a 2.3 15" Quad Core Macbook Pro with Hi Res Matt Screen. This guy is my dream machine. I also have an 11" MacBook Air I take with me to Starbucks and such. If I had to choose just one it would be no contest. The MacBook pro gets the nod. I sold my iPad for the Air and this combination works really well for me.

nfl46
Aug 7, 2011, 07:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

Heck no, I'm not jealous. The 13" MBP is much better than the Air. Good luck with your Air. You have fun upgrading it in the future, oh wait you can't. You also have fun carrying around external hard drives, SuperDrives, etc. I have an all in one laptop.

Dark Void
Aug 7, 2011, 07:23 AM

I get trolled so easily these days.

The main reason, I would argue, to purchase an Air, is portability. Other than that purpose, it's sort of ridiculous to own, but people will do what they want with their money and I can't argue their right to own whatever they want based on whatever motive for purchase.

Your post is just awfully bad. There is quite a performance difference between the two machines, and I'm sure you know that you can put an SSD in the MBP too. The MacBook Pro is not stuck in a hard place, it's a top seller.

urkel
Aug 7, 2011, 08:29 AM
You also have fun carrying around external hard drives, SuperDrives, etc. I have an all in one laptop.
There is a huge amount of hypocrisy when people brag about the Air but does anyone remember the obnoxious iMac bragging over this picture?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1182/1074292609_84a0c6baaa.jpg

People were talking about the iMac superiority over a windows desktop because "It's all-in-one and isnt a mess of tangled wires". And that was on a desktop that never leaves the room you set it up with. Yet here we are with a mobility device and people are claiming that adding an ethernet, external drives, dvd or SD (11") is somehow "convenient".

The MBP is not a heavy machine and while it's thicker than the air, to the PRO user, the ability to have low cost high capacity internal drives, DVD, gigabit ethernet and firewire far exceeds the thin gimmick that has forced these features off of the Air.

palpatine
Aug 7, 2011, 08:42 AM
it's already been said, but there is certainly a place for the pro. no jealousy here. glad to see the airs getting a much-needed update, and i am happy to see that everyone seems pleased with it.

for me, power trumps portability, so i don't see the advantage in paying more for less functionality: less power, fewer ports, no options for upgrades (like the 8gb ram i have), no optical drive, and all with the same battery life. my computer only leaves the house a few days each week, so no need for the portability of an air.

the air is a great product. no doubt. but, what is this curious obsession with seeing the two lines merged? i hope apple keeps a line for power users and another for ultra portables.

in the meantime, i'll be carrying around my ipad when i leave the house. it costs less than your air, has twice the battery life, and enables me to consume (read) as well as create content. how long until the mba gets merged into the ipad line :)

KnightWRX
Aug 7, 2011, 08:56 AM
The MBP is not a heavy machine and while it's thicker than the air, to the PRO user, the ability to have low cost high capacity internal drives, DVD, gigabit ethernet and firewire far exceeds the thin gimmick that has forced these features off of the Air.

Which PRO user ? I use my MBA professionally and high capacity internal drives, DVD, gigabit Ethernet and Firewire have 0 purpose in my workflow.

It depends on your workflow really.

bniu
Aug 7, 2011, 02:48 PM
I like my 17" pro. I may in the future get a 11" air as an "accessory" to the big boy.

teerexx52
Aug 7, 2011, 03:00 PM
I like my 17" pro. I may in the future get a 11" air as an "accessory" to the big boy.

Never heard an Air called an accessory but for me that might be the case. :)

jmoore5196
Aug 7, 2011, 03:11 PM
I have both a 2010 11" Ultimate MBA - or what passed for "Ultimate" six months ago - and a 2011 15" i7 MBP. Let me tell you that comparing the two is akin to comparing an apple with an orange.

My MBP is, at the moment, being pressed into service as a desktop replacement. There's no way the MBA could suffice as a stand-alone machine; the MBP does and does it very well.

On the other hand, I love my MBA for travel into the urban jungle, but the MBP stays at home because I don't want to lug around five pounds of aluminum.

I can remember the Gil Amilio days when I made do with a PowerBook 520c or a 1400c and was happy to have it. I thought Pismo PowerBooks were the sexiest machines ever. But being somewhat spoilt for choice now - as the locals say - forces me to the realization that the two machines are vastly different in terms of capability, performance and purpose. The purpose distinction is what matters most to me.

rkahl
Aug 7, 2011, 03:37 PM
Ha ha, looks like the OP has been put in the corner for "Stirring it up". HA HA!

neteng101
Aug 7, 2011, 03:51 PM
I know its just the 13" MBP users that are truly jealous with the 13" MBA. ;)

misterneums
Aug 7, 2011, 03:56 PM
A little off the topic--I don't really see the point of having the 13" pro anymore. I wonder if they're going to start thinking about phasing that one out...

maril1111
Aug 7, 2011, 04:01 PM
A little off the topic--I don't really see the point of having the 13" pro anymore. I wonder if they're going to start thinking about phasing that one out...

I hope not as I would otherwise switch to a different company the Pro is the best of both worlds having the feature while still keeping the price at a good level(for apple) and having the option to customize by changing the ram or harddrive.

sloan47
Aug 7, 2011, 04:27 PM

I doubt it. There's certainly a market for the 13" Pro. I just see them upgrading the display to a higher resolution (or a "retina" display) and adding a discrete gpu. The 13" Pro is a completely different beast than the air.

blairh
Aug 7, 2011, 04:34 PM
I was a jealous MBP owner. So I sold my MBP and got the new 11" MBA instead. I know many others will follow suit too.

amitdoc2b
Aug 7, 2011, 05:29 PM
I was a jealous MBP owner. So I sold my MBP and got the new 11" MBA instead. I know many others will follow suit too.

What size MBP did you have? 13, 15, or 17"?

mac jones
Aug 7, 2011, 05:50 PM
Yes they are jealous. As a matter of fact. MBP users are by nature a jealous lot. Suspicious also, and tend to like bend the wrist a bit (if you know what I mean ;) ).

They surreptitiously, eye others possessions, and in their aloneness (they are almost always alone), silently plan their crime: to rob and acquire that which they do not have.

Lock your doors, and watch you children.

God bless.

Vortron
Aug 7, 2011, 06:23 PM
Got an 11" MBA and upgraded the SSD to 480GB. Sold my early 2011 MBP for a high cash price on Craig's List because I noticed that the rumors are predicting an upcoming release of a 15" THIN MBP-No Optical Drive and who knows what else. A thin 15" or even 17" Air style MBP would be quite cool so I think I'll save the federal reserve notes and see what Apple has up their sleeve.

blairh
Aug 7, 2011, 06:55 PM
what size mbp did you have? 13, 15, or 17"?

2009 13" mbp.

mgs4
Aug 7, 2011, 07:55 PM
I've got a mbp and i'm not jealous. Even though i did murder my mum yesterday for buying a new air. :o

neteng101
Aug 7, 2011, 08:00 PM
...and having the option to customize by changing the ram or harddrive.

Apple has no interest in allowing people to customize their machines, they certainly haven't made it easy. Just wish they'd offer an 8GB option for the Air.

That - and the 13" MBP is so dead. Optical drives are not in Apple's future either, they've moved on to the App Store. The next gen of Pros will be 15/17" ultrathins I suspect, although they might retain a HDD for those with higher storage needs (like the iMac, SSD/HDD combos).

misterneums
Aug 7, 2011, 08:45 PM
I hope not as I would otherwise switch to a different company the Pro is the best of both worlds having the feature while still keeping the price at a good level(for apple) and having the option to customize by changing the ram or harddrive.

The rest of the pro line has discrete GPU's, a proper resolution, powerful quad core CPU's. In my opinion--if Apple keeps the 13" MBP it is going to be something that fills the void of the white macbook, albeit at a higher price.

Apple OC
Aug 7, 2011, 08:48 PM

I was thinking the same about the 13" Air

Kafka
Aug 8, 2011, 11:14 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I own a 13" MBP and am not jealous at all, actually I returned my 13" MBA. If its display looked as good as the MBP's things would have been different though.

So not jealous, just pissed that the MBA's cheap screen keeps me from enjoying this fine machine.

Meever
Aug 8, 2011, 03:19 PM
15" and 17" aim for a completely different demographic.

the 13" crowd might be raising an eyebrow though. Specs wise you're essentially getting double the normal use performance for smaller storage and lower benchmark scores.... and half the weight+higher resolution for lower overall quality screen.

altecXP
Aug 8, 2011, 03:58 PM
I dont see as the air as batter than the 13in in anything but the display resolution.

The 13in MBP has better:
CPU
FW800
Optical drive
storage size
max RAM
HD iSight
$100 less

the 13in Air has:
Resolution
SSD speed

You can add a much bigger, much faster SSD to the MBP, you can even add a 2nd HDD if you would like. And no need to carry an external HDD, external DVD drive, and a network adapter when you travel. It's all just in one unit.

I wouldn't be surprised if you add the weight of a 320GB external HDD, the Apple Optical drive, and the NIC adapter to the air its actually heavier than the 13in MBP. To 'save weight" you end up carrying more weight, and spending more money just to have the same functionality.

OneMike
Aug 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
If you're talking about the 13-inch MBP pro than maybe. Other than that no.

misterneums
Aug 8, 2011, 05:42 PM
I dont see as the air as batter than the 13in in anything but the display resolution.

The 13in MBP has better:
CPU The CPU was shown to have marginally better procesing power
FW800 My last firewire product was a 1/2nd gen iPod--so no purpose here.
Optical drive Is soon to be going extinct
storage size At much slower speeds
max RAM For an extra 200
HD iSight Maybe people like seeing your face in HD
$100 less

the 13in Air has:
Resolution
SSD speed
Lighter Weight
Smaller Physical Footprint

You can add a much bigger, much faster SSD to the MBP, you can even add a 2nd HDD if you would like. And no need to carry an external HDD, external DVD drive, and a network adapter when you travel. It's all just in one unit.

I'm not certain how many travelling professionals would be carrying around an external DVD drive. Almost all places have wireless so that negates the need for a wired adapter.

I wouldn't be surprised if you add the weight of a 320GB external HDD, the Apple Optical drive, and the NIC adapter to the air its actually heavier than the 13in MBP. To 'save weight" you end up carrying more weight, and spending more money just to have the same functionality.

It might be heavier if people decided to travel with useless crap that they don't need.

altecXP
Aug 8, 2011, 07:04 PM
[QUOTE=misterneums;13139637]The 13in MBP has better:
CPU The CPU was shown to have marginally better processing power - Try being CPU intensive for over 10min when the CPU heats up, say any rendering or game.
FW800 My last firewire product was a 1/2nd gen iPod--so no purpose here. - For you. I have 3 HDD's that use FW800. At work we have a FW800 RAID for a scratch disk. Most professional users have a FW800 drive or two.
Optical drive Is soon to be going extinct - Again, for you. Many photographers still give DVD/CD to clients. Many businesses give files to clients on DVD because the client WANTS them on a disk, many people like to watch a DVD, or install programs that only come on DVD, like Office. Ever rip a CD with out a CD drive?
storage size At much slower speeds - That fine, long as I can have all my music and important files with me. Aside from Booting and a few seconds off of loading an App what do you get from an SSD aside from limiting how much storage you can have?
max RAM For an extra 200 - Anyone logical will pay under $100, not Apples over blown price.
HD iSight Maybe people like seeing your face in HD - Thats the whole point of it.
$100 less

the 13in Air has:
Resolution
SSD speed
Lighter Weight
Smaller Physical Footprint - Its the same footprint, 32.5mm x 22.7. It will still take up the same amount of space on a desk.[/QUOTE

Fixed that for you.

misterneums
Aug 8, 2011, 08:10 PM
Instead of messing around with the forum code, I'm just going to write everything out without the quotes, colors, blah blah blah.

In response to your response of my response of your original post:

CPU - The fans will kick on--I have yet to have any thermal throttling issues. It might get warm--but that is to be expected.

Firewire 800: You have me there--until Thunderbolt Adapters come out for it, there is no Firewire connectivity.

Optical Drive: There are other solutions to the optical drive problem. Remote Disk is the first thing that came to mind. It worked wonderfully when I wanted to install a friend's copy of iWork.

Storage - SSD vs HDD: I find myself enjoying how much quicker I get through batch commands with CS5 and Lightroom. My Air also has my music library hooked up to it. I have all of my important files. All stored on a 128 GB drive. Maybe if you have 2 months worth of music it might be an issue. I also don't have to worry about mechanical errors with an SSD. In the past month, 4 people I know have had HDD failures.

Max Ram: Yes, you can upgrade your own for 100, but that's still 100+ for the price.

Footprint: I should have been more specific--it has less volume. That matters to me when I want to 1 bag travel.

I think the Air is favored more by people who are using it as a second computer. I have my PC setup, a media center computer, and my Air now.
My view of the Pro 13" is that it favors in line for people who are using it as a main computer.

I still think the 13" needs some revamp. It is just inconsistent with the pro line of computers. No discrete graphics, a lower resolution desktop are a definite turnoff to me. I would be interested to see statistics at the end of the year showing sales across the board for Apple Laptops. To me, the 13" Pro seems to be one of the weakest models in Apple's Line.