PDA

View Full Version : iOS and Android: A State-by-State Breakdown

MacRumors
Aug 5, 2011, 01:48 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/05/ios-and-android-a-state-by-state-breakdown/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/jumptap-os-map-500x274.jpg

(http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/08/jumptap-os-map.jpg)
The iPhone is well-represented in the Northeast and Midwest, according to statistics (http://www.jumptap.com/STAT) released by Jumptap, a mobile ad network. The iPhone is also strong in Montana and Louisiana.

Android is very strong in the West, plus the rust belt of Ohio, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. BlackBerry remains strong around Washington, DC, with RIM being the provider of choice for government bureaucrats -- at least for now. Corporate-centric New York is also a stronghold for BlackBerry.

There doesn't seem to be any obvious correlation between iPhone or Android use and statistics like per capita income or population density. TechCrunch has the complete study (http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/05/android-iphone-state/). The chart above isn't particularly informative -- it doesn't give precise market share breakdowns -- but it is an interesting look at which states are over representing one brand or the other.

Hat tip to Splatf (http://www.splatf.com/2011/08/iphone-android-map/).

Article Link: iOS and Android: A State-by-State Breakdown (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/05/ios-and-android-a-state-by-state-breakdown/)

QuarterSwede
Aug 5, 2011, 01:51 PM
I live in Colorado and the funny thing is that I see Android phones predominantly.

I can add one thing though, I'm from Northern VA where BB is strong but it's only because the employees have to have one. I know several people who have iPhones but are required to carry a BB as well (much to their dismay).

chrmjenkins
Aug 5, 2011, 01:52 PM
The lack of a correlation to income is a good sign for Apple. It suggests additional carrier relationships are what is holding them back, not competing with budget android phones.

wovel
Aug 5, 2011, 01:55 PM
Lol, blackberry dominated states are sad, boring places I bet.

chrmjenkins
Aug 5, 2011, 01:58 PM
I don't really understand Oregon being Blackberry dominated.

flash84x
Aug 5, 2011, 01:59 PM
I live in Colorado and the funny thing is that I see Android phones predominantly.

Exactly what the graph suggests?

Mjmar
Aug 5, 2011, 02:07 PM
New Jersey is most definitely not dominated by Android... Just strolling through my local mall I'd say about 50% of the phones I see are iPhones, and a good portion are Blackberry's. It's rare that I see someone with an Android phone.

Blakeasd
Aug 5, 2011, 02:08 PM
I live in TN and I primarily see the iPhone 4.

thebignewt
Aug 5, 2011, 02:09 PM
Until this year you had to be ATT to use an iPhone, and ATT sucks in some locations (AZ for instance). Android is good on Verizon (good in AZ). I bet iPhone is big where ATT is big, and Android is big where Verizon's big. Blackberry is business, not for touchscreen people like android.

Anonymous Freak
Aug 5, 2011, 02:11 PM

I'm with you on this one. I know a few people with work-provided BBs, but among them, a majority ALSO have an iPhone or Android phone, that they use most of the time for browsing...

Rodimus Prime
Aug 5, 2011, 02:13 PM
Until this year you had to be ATT to use an iPhone, and ATT sucks in some locations (AZ for instance). Android is good on Verizon (good in AZ). I bet iPhone is big where ATT is big, and Android is big where Verizon's big. Blackberry is business, not for touchscreen people like android.

well look at Texas. AT&T home turf and it is Android everywhere. ATT for the most part is better than Verizon in Texas and Android is ruling the area.

I do find the break down rather interesting.

BC2009
Aug 5, 2011, 02:13 PM
again... these are usage statistics being used as a proxy for marketshare statistics. for example, they are saying that in california that they serve ads to android phones more than other kinds of phones. that usage could be extremely heavy usage by a small sector of users or could be moderate usage by a good size number of users.

it's certainly an interesting indicator, but typically you need a bit more information to draw conclusions from usage data. one thing i can read from this is that wall street is still having a high use of blackberry -- and in JFK I am not surprised that RIM spent tons of money with banners advertising the playbook.

mayerryan
Aug 5, 2011, 02:17 PM
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/statemapredbluer1024.png
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/

Makes sense to me. :cool:

brayhite
Aug 5, 2011, 02:21 PM
I can't help but laugh whenever I read someone saying "Heh, this graph is wrong. I never see anyone with an iPhone/Android/BB."

Dude, you're one person. You probably see .0001% of the population of the state in a week. Let alone how many of those .0001% you actually see with their cell phones out.

And to comment on the graph, I would love to see a 3G/Cellular strength map from the big 3 (Sprint/AT&T/VZ) over this, to see if phone choice is possibly correlated to carrier service, as some have suggested.

FrizzleFryBen
Aug 5, 2011, 02:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Funny that most of the states I HATE prefer android.

John.B
Aug 5, 2011, 02:34 PM
I don't care if it's dominant or not in my state. I only care that I'm able to carry an iPhone as my personal phone.

I've carried an HTC Evo (for work) long enough to know just how bad the Android UI is. Some of the shortcomings in Exchange integration are mind boggling.

For all I use the Evo for, it might as well be a dumbphone...

nagromme
Aug 5, 2011, 02:39 PM
Neutral meaning all 3 OSís are near equal? Sounds unlikely. Or that the top two are nearly tied, but they arenít indicating which those are? Iím guessing ďneutralĒ means Android and iOS* are tied, with RIM behind. Hard to say.

* iOS meaning iPhone only, or iPhone + iPod, or iPad too? What is Jumptapís market and methodology?

macslayer118
Aug 5, 2011, 02:40 PM
I can't help but laugh whenever I read someone saying "Heh, this graph is wrong. I never see anyone with an iPhone/Android/BB."

Dude, you're one person. You probably see .0001% of the population of the state in a week. Let alone how many of those .0001% you actually see with their cell phones out.

Yes, but I didn't get a call about whether I prefer android or iOS. Survey companies extrapolate the EXACT same way people who are saying this are. By looking at a random population an making conclusions.

I would like to know the sample size and how the data was collected before believing ANY of this.

markie
Aug 5, 2011, 02:47 PM
That graph makes NO sense. I'm in Montana. I see WAY more Android:

1. The iPhone has only been available here since February (Verizon)
2. Tons and tons of free Android phones were given to Alltel BlackBerry users when they were switched to AT&T in April

It just makes no sense that Montana would already have a majority iPhones in a few months...

rsamo
Aug 5, 2011, 03:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm disappointed in the southern states. That said I do question the validity if these numbers. I live in Houston and see more iPhones and blackberries than android devices.

brayhite
Aug 5, 2011, 03:13 PM
Yes, but I didn't get a call about whether I prefer android or iOS. Survey companies extrapolate the EXACT same way people who are saying this are. By looking at a random population an making conclusions.

True, however, random population sampling is much more effective and representative of the state "preference" than using those you interact with on any given day as your sample.

If I read my local newspaper and it says "Report: Northern Kentuckians approve of Obama", I'd be quick to dismiss credibility given the characteristics and demographics of the area around me and my familiarity with them. But if I read "Report: Kentuckians want less bourbon".. well, it'd be hard to believe but no ONE person can generalize a state's preferences based on their random interactions with a very small group of people, unless they have access to much more data.

BornAgainMac
Aug 5, 2011, 03:14 PM
I will be sad if the iPhone is discontinued or fall behind because of lack of demand and be stuck with an Android phone. It will be Windows all over again. At least I can expect no lines at the Apple store when the iPhone 5 is available on day 1.

Justinf79
Aug 5, 2011, 03:19 PM

Yeah I'm calling BS on this. Every phone I see at college is either an Android or iPhone. Same for out on the street, except with some non-smartphones thrown in.

goobot
Aug 5, 2011, 03:20 PM
Pretty much every one i see has an iPhone in new york.... Even android is bigger here then blackberry...

SHIPARCH
Aug 5, 2011, 03:36 PM
I'm surprised Florida is an Android dominated state. Most people I see have an Iphone, others have Blackberry's, a few have Android phones but these seem to be growing; att also seems to be the largest carrier at least in Miami.

IntelliUser
Aug 5, 2011, 03:44 PM
Doesn't to me if you look carefully...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1b/Red_and_Blue_States_Map_(Average_Margins_of_Presidential_Victory).svg/260px-Red_and_Blue_States_Map_(Average_Margins_of_Presidential_Victory).svg.png

AppleLovah
Aug 5, 2011, 03:45 PM
But the Cupertino Kids in California are android. Steve Jobs has to hate that...

*LTD*
Aug 5, 2011, 03:50 PM
But the Cupertino Kids in California are android. Steve Jobs has to hate that...

Cali's a big state. It might be more useful to look at things city by city.

imahawki
Aug 5, 2011, 04:01 PM
If this is based on an app ads company is it possible that iOS is under-counted if iPhone users tend to buy more apps and use fewer ad-supported apps as other studies have already shown?

Anonymous Freak
Aug 5, 2011, 04:03 PM

For the variation between iOS and Android, yeah. If Oregon was listed as Android, I wouldn't have bitched, even though my experience is that I see mostly iOS. But Blackberry? Really? From a mobile-web-advertising company? If anything, you'd think their statistics would be skewed AWAY from Blackberry. (i.e. some states that show up as iOS and Android may actually be slightly higher Blackberry.)

lazyrighteye
Aug 5, 2011, 04:07 PM

Where in CO do you reside? I'm in Denver.
Counting my circle of friends + associates at work, I know exactly 3 people using Android & maybe 5 people on BB. The rest (~75) are iPhones. It's funny, the Android users (in my experience) are the types that want something non-iPhone just to be "different."* They also gripe most about their experiences (which I have also noticed tends to correlate with people that are non-somehting for non-something's sake). The BBs are all corporate-issued. None "by choice." And in my casual observation when I'm out & about, iPhone looks dominant. Followed by Android, then BB.

* Which is still so odd to me... at 38, I'm still getting used to the idea that Apple is now mainstream and not the underdog it was the first 34+ years of my life. What. A. Ride.

SilvorX
Aug 5, 2011, 04:45 PM

I'm not surprised North Dakota is still Blackberry dominated, until very recently, the only carriers there were Alltel/Verizon, so the best phones they had were Androids, or Blackberries, now Alltel's towers are under AT&T, so now there's some actual options for phones.

I know a few hours north in Canada, there's still a Blackberry dominance (that's quickly diminishing) as the regional carrier here really likes to push Blackberries down peoples throats.

fupresti
Aug 5, 2011, 04:56 PM

ATT is huge in Texas, so I dont think that is necessarily it.

DrNeroCF
Aug 5, 2011, 05:00 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

And to comment on the graph, I would love to see a 3G/Cellular strength map from the big 3 (Sprint/AT&T/VZ) over this, to see if phone choice is possibly correlated to carrier service, as some have suggested.

And as long as that .0001 is randomly sampled, like just seeing people in restaurants and such, it should still be representative of the population. Or, at least, their city.

I can definitely vouch for Louisiana, at least New Orleans and around there, pretty rare to see an Android around here.

nerdo
Aug 5, 2011, 05:05 PM
What we need is a map based on how self important and smart users think they are. Call it the smug factor, pretty sure you will find a correlation there.

Optheduim
Aug 5, 2011, 05:37 PM
Image (http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/statemapredbluer1024.png)
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/2008/

You're an idiot if you think that politcal preferences correlate to which kind of smart phone you own. The funny thing about Capitalists and Republicans is that they believe in the freedom to choose, whether you like it or not! However, I am compelled to think that the map that was shown (not by you), is in parallel to the dominant cell phone carrier.

brayhite
Aug 5, 2011, 05:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

And as long as that .0001 is randomly sampled, like just seeing people in restaurants and such, it should still be representative of the population. Or, at least, their city.

I can definitely vouch for Louisiana, at least New Orleans and around there, pretty rare to see an Android around here.

Randomly sampled from a representative population*

I could randomly sample a group of vegans located in NY and still not say that I found nearly all people in NY prefer the taste of vegetables and fruits over meat. Must be representative of the general population of NY, meat-eaters included.

vitzr
Aug 5, 2011, 06:04 PM
It's all meaningless drivel. I've never cared what "everyone else does". Why not just use what one likes and forget about it.

I like variety, so I carry one of each. It's fun, it's different, and it keeps me on top of what's happening. Having first hand experience with both, gives me a way to enjoy the strengths of each platform. They are both quite nice.

kdarling
Aug 5, 2011, 06:04 PM

Or Montana being iPhone dominated. I thought they didn't even have iPhones until recently (?). Or am I wrong?

That's a very good thought, with the exception that I've always heard that Florida has good ATT coverage. Then again, that could be true, but perhaps more people down there are on Sprint and thus use Android.

b11051973
Aug 5, 2011, 06:07 PM
Minnesota is a blue state no matter how you cut it.

Bonfire
Aug 5, 2011, 06:48 PM
California? Seriously?

coder12
Aug 5, 2011, 07:03 PM
Minnesota is a blue state no matter how you cut it.

Minnesota is commonly a split-ticket state.

With lots of iPhones.

JustinDaigle
Aug 5, 2011, 07:41 PM

Really dunno about that. I too live in Louisiana (although on the west end), and while most people at McNeese have iPhones from what I've seen, I graduated from high school in a class of four, and two people in the class had Android phones, one had an iPhone (me), and the other had some dumbphone.

winston1236
Aug 5, 2011, 09:19 PM
I'm surprised Florida is an Android dominated state. Most people I see have an Iphone, others have Blackberry's, a few have Android phones but these seem to be growing; att also seems to be the largest carrier at least in Miami.

not sure why there is so much surprise over android, its on over 200 devices. many that you wouldn't really notice unless you were up close. it shows the strength of the iphone that it dominates the states shown in the graph.

sumone
Aug 5, 2011, 10:10 PM

Same. I also don't see why people care. I have an iPhone but according to the map my state is Android I really don't care it doesn't affect my purchase choice either way.

techfreak85
Aug 5, 2011, 10:12 PM

I live in Oregon and have only seen like four BBs in the wild. And most of them are teenage girls.:confused:

the8thark
Aug 5, 2011, 10:13 PM
And statistics like this are more and more of less value to do the fact the US is becoming less and less worldwide sales as a %.

US data is still good though. Cause it's good to test things on the smaller US markets. Just in case it's a dud. Better to screw it on the smaller US market and fix it before you release the product on a the larger world market.

nunes013
Aug 5, 2011, 11:09 PM
i am in an iphone dominant state. but i have found that since iPhone has come to verizon, i know a ton of people who either have an android and are switching, or are waiting to save up for one. it was weird because for a while i saw a kind of slow down of iPhone sales around the spring but ever since the summer started people seem to be buying them again. i think if iPhone comes to t mobile and sprint iPhone sales will once again gain. iPhone 5 should be a good test to see what is happening in the smartphone race. can't wait!!!

Hastings101
Aug 6, 2011, 12:09 AM
Yay for Kansas being a Blackberry dominated state. There might be absolutely nothing here, but at least we have good taste in phone brands.

Nathaneal765
Aug 6, 2011, 01:10 AM
I live in Indiana & I see iPods & iPhones everywhere. So this makes a lot of sense.

I have a Blackberry Torch though... It's nice, But the app store is rather limited.

Ecoh
Aug 6, 2011, 06:29 AM
Another factor is the iPhone in the past has not been subsidized by the carriers. It is very easy to sign a contract and get a free Blackberry or Android phone. It is not common to see a free iPhone for signing a contract.

zenntench_oni
Aug 6, 2011, 08:54 AM
uhh, where's Hawaii? lol

JetBlack7
Aug 6, 2011, 09:16 AM
I found this comparison quite entertaining, and the comments hilarious!

http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-4-vs-samsung-galaxy-sii-10109/

No matter what phone you have, you will always defend the brand you're using even if it's crappy.

Eradik
Aug 6, 2011, 09:47 AM

Oregon does surprisingly have a lot of corporations here that probably use Blackberry for their workforce. Our largest employer is Intel, we've got Nike HQ here, Precision Castparts, and quite a few others. I'm willing to guess a lot of them use BBs for their businesses.

Then again, I could be way off. No idea!

bigmikeinnj
Aug 6, 2011, 10:46 AM
New Jersey is most definitely not dominated by Android... Just strolling through my local mall I'd say about 50% of the phones I see are iPhones, and a good portion are Blackberry's. It's rare that I see someone with an Android phone.

Agreed !!

richmonddjs
Aug 6, 2011, 12:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

That graph makes NO sense. I'm in Montana. I see WAY more Android:

1. The iPhone has only been available here since February (Verizon)
2. Tons and tons of free Android phones were given to Alltel BlackBerry users when they were switched to AT&T in April

It just makes no sense that Montana would already have a majority iPhones in a few months...

Markie, Alltel changed to Verizon. Not AT&T

makefunnyfaces
Aug 6, 2011, 12:37 PM
Definitely not surprised that West Virginia is an iOS state. Verizon & ATT are the major carriers here. I see more than I can count on a daily basis.

QCassidy352
Aug 6, 2011, 12:44 PM
I don't think this is saying that a bb dominated state really has more bb than iOS or android. I think it's saying that state has more bb users relative to other states. So if the overall market share for bb is 22%, a state that's 30% bb could be "bb dominated" even though that's neither >50% nor even necessarily > than the android or iOS share in that state. Same for the other os'es, obviously. At least that's how I read this.

akaralias
Aug 6, 2011, 03:25 PM
Try to compare an OS like Android, that is Open Source and has almost hundreds of models in all prices out there and has been the only choice for some carriers to push, with an OS that has only few models in the high price range just does not make sense.

SandynJosh
Aug 6, 2011, 04:29 PM
Next up: During the GOP Primaries pundits will be trying to correlate the backers of one smart phone user or another with their candidate of choice.

Woe be it unto the smart phone that is a favorite of the biggest loser's backers.

smithrh
Aug 6, 2011, 05:00 PM

Not everywhere. There were a handful of smaller areas that were bought by AT&T.

The DOJ did not let VzW buy 100% of Alltel. IIRC, about 80% was bought by VzW, maybe 5-7.5% went to AT&T and the rest is still operating independently.

clukas
Aug 6, 2011, 09:17 PM
let the turf war begin...

revelated
Aug 6, 2011, 11:12 PM

I PROMISE you the graph is incorrect for Southern California. Now maybe in Northern California things are different and Android runs the roost. But down here, I'm hard pressed to see a person that doesn't have an iPhone. There are a few holdouts - mostly people who favor the customizability of Android like myself - but especially with the female population, they're iHeads.

I didn't see much of Seattle the times I've been there, but of the people I saw, they all had iPhones.

Amazing Iceman
Aug 6, 2011, 11:35 PM
Simple... Android is the cheaper alternative for people who can't afford an iPhone. Some people say Android phones are "almost" like an iPhone, so that's their consolation. Also, calling + data plans are not easily affordable. Even for people who can afford an iPhone, current iPhone service plans don't make sense when compared to T-Mobile or MetroPCS plans, who offer Android phones as an alternative to the iPhone.

Basically, it's all a matter of what's affordable and not or what's better.
When the iPhone came out, I could afford it, but I was not going to give up my T-Mobile Unlimited Plan, so I bought a Touch Pro 2; I certainly regret it now, and now I'm willing to switch to AAT&T so I could get the iPhone 5. I'm sure there's a lot of people in a similar situation, so these statistics are soon to change.

Rodimus Prime
Aug 7, 2011, 12:46 AM
Simple... Android is the cheaper alternative for people who can't afford an iPhone. Some people say Android phones are "almost" like an iPhone, so that's their consolation.

I am getting tired of that argument because of how much BS and miss information there is in it. People are buying Android phones that cost as much if not more than the iPhone on contract.
Atrix sold well on AT&T, Samsung infused selling well (again same price) HTC Android phone sold fairly well when it was the same price. Capitave as well.

On Verizon you have the Droid2/3 which both did pretty well when they were the same price. The Thunderbolt is selling fairly well and it COST MORE than the iPhone.

Over seas you have the GalaxyS 2 which cost more.
Now you have the iPhone 4 which is massively over priced for its specs. It should at this point be at most a $99 on contract phone if it was made by anyone else.

vitzr
Aug 7, 2011, 02:45 AM
iPhones are more popular in Southern CA because people there are very vain. Moreso than anywhere else. Also Steve Jobs has always been influential with the Hollywood set, Apple laptops are shown with the logo displayed prominately in the movies. If another laptop is being used it's logo is covered. It's a very subtle yet interesting difference.

ThunderSkunk
Aug 7, 2011, 09:39 AM
iPhones are more popular in Southern CA because people there are very vain. Moreso than anywhere else.

I can attest to that. There is not a day that goes by that I am amazed by the level of it here. On the other hand, by attracting all the shallow selfish people from across the country, & thus concentrating trashy people in one spot, it keeps the rest of america relatively clean.

Not sure it has any effect on what phone people are using though.

I think this map attempts to find patterns in data where there are none. & using state lines to define regions just makes it even less meaningful.

ArcaneDevice
Aug 7, 2011, 02:53 PM
This map might have some relevance if Android and iOS were available on all the same networks.

People hate AT&T.

People hate Verizon.

Whether they have an iPhone or not makes no difference. The next carrier I jump to will not have an iPhone because I hate both those companies. They will however have Android.

This map may as well compare USB 2.0 and Thunderbolt usage.

markie
Aug 7, 2011, 03:28 PM

It really helps to know what you're talking about before you correct someone. Verizon bought Alltel, yes. However, like many large-scale transactions, it involved mandated divestitures. About half of the Alltel coverage area (though a far smaller percentage of customers) was required to be divested as it would leave Verizon with a near monopoly. Almost all of Montana, except for one market area where there was no Verizon service, was divested to AT&T.

Here's a map of how it breaks down:

http://www.cellularmaps.com/alltel_divest.shtml

MadeTheSwitch
Aug 7, 2011, 06:56 PM
I PROMISE you the graph is incorrect for Southern California. Now maybe in Northern California things are different and Android runs the roost. But down here, I'm hard pressed to see a person that doesn't have an iPhone. There are a few holdouts - mostly people who favor the customizability of Android like myself - but especially with the female population, they're iHeads.

That's hasn't been my experience at all! Yes I see a ton of iPhones in Socal, but I see a ton of Android devices as well. I was at a picnic yesterday and I actually saw more Androids now that I think about it. But overall I would say it's about 50/50. Which means Android is definitely cutting into Apple's pie, because iPhones were the only thing you used to see.

It's party because Apple has limited themselves to only one (and now two) carriers but it is also because of the plans that carriers have for the iPhone. Why pay $100 a month for service when you can have another smartphone at 1/2 or even 1/4 that rate by going with a prepaid plan? In these economic times, $25 a month on Virgin Mobile sounds a whole lot better to the wallet!

RHVC59
Aug 7, 2011, 07:11 PM
uhh, where's Hawaii? lol

Evidently the same place they left Alaska.... Paying twice the freight for half the service:)

Always seem to be forgotten

silentnite
Aug 7, 2011, 10:23 PM
Pa. is very much an android state. iPhone or apple hasn't been able to penetrate the Northeast that much as of yet. However apple products are starting to pop up much more as a lot of city people start to make way to the small towns.

revelated
Aug 7, 2011, 11:29 PM
That's hasn't been my experience at all! Yes I see a ton of iPhones in Socal, but I see a ton of Android devices as well. I was at a picnic yesterday and I actually saw more Androids now that I think about it. But overall I would say it's about 50/50. Which means Android is definitely cutting into Apple's pie, because iPhones were the only thing you used to see.

It's party because Apple has limited themselves to only one (and now two) carriers but it is also because of the plans that carriers have for the iPhone. Why pay $100 a month for service when you can have another smartphone at 1/2 or even 1/4 that rate by going with a prepaid plan? In these economic times, $25 a month on Virgin Mobile sounds a whole lot better to the wallet!

Dunno what part of Southern California you're in. But in the bulk of San Diego, iPhones run the roost. It got worse when Verizon picked them up.

I tried the iPhone 4. Couldn't stand it. The build quality was top notch, but iOS is way too limiting and restricting. It felt claustrophobic. Everything is clunky - way too many clicks to enable and disable WiFi, for example. The simplicity and sheer flexibility of Android just works for me.

RalfTheDog
Aug 8, 2011, 01:44 AM
Strange, in Oklahoma, most people don't use an iPhone, BB or Android. The most popular choice at the moment is two tin cans and a bit of string.

henchman
Aug 8, 2011, 02:10 AM
iPhones are more popular in Southern CA because people there are very vain. .

Vain? Why vain?
Because we don't want be as wide as we are tall?
I've seen people in other parts of America, and it isn't pretty.

Tim9724
Aug 8, 2011, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the stats on Alaska

edenwaith
Aug 8, 2011, 09:50 AM

One thing I find very interesting is that Montana did not get the iPhone until this year. AT&T finally is moving into Montana, but Verizon STILL got the iPhone before AT&T did in Montana. Sad.

So why is the iPhone supposedly big in Montana, then? Verizon is king there, so I imagine that Android phones would have had quite a lead over the iPhone. Now, if only iOS devices are considered, then that would level the playing field more, since iPads and iPod touches were available in Montana.

edenwaith
Aug 8, 2011, 09:54 AM
It really helps to know what you're talking about before you correct someone. Verizon bought Alltel, yes. However, like many large-scale transactions, it involved mandated divestitures. About half of the Alltel coverage area (though a far smaller percentage of customers) was required to be divested as it would leave Verizon with a near monopoly. Almost all of Montana, except for one market area where there was no Verizon service, was divested to AT&T.

Here's a map of how it breaks down:

http://www.cellularmaps.com/alltel_divest.shtml

Correct. It was due to Alltel being sold to AT&T (instead of Verizon) that AT&T finally had an official presence within Montana. Ironically, an AT&T commercial from 2009 claimed to support Bozeman, MT!

mayerryan
Aug 8, 2011, 10:46 AM
You're an idiot if you think that politcal preferences correlate to which kind of smart phone you own. The funny thing about Capitalists and Republicans is that they believe in the freedom to choose, whether you like it or not! However, I am compelled to think that the map that was shown (not by you), is in parallel to the dominant cell phone carrier.

And you're an "idiot" who clearly has no sense of humor. Then again, you are a republican, as your tagline states..... That at least explains the disrespectful name-calling.

andrewsd
Aug 8, 2011, 12:32 PM

I don't know about that NY is pretty cool and makes sense that NY is BB dominate considering our business capital is there..

MadeTheSwitch
Aug 8, 2011, 02:07 PM
Dunno what part of Southern California you're in. But in the bulk of San Diego, iPhones run the roost. It got worse when Verizon picked them up.

Orange County. Haven't been to San Diego in awhile. I will keep my eye out next time I am down that way. OC used to be almost entirely iPhone. A rare blackberry perhaps. Hardly any Android. And I managed to see a Palm OS phone in the wild only one time. But things are different now. Still don't see the others, but man, Androids are all over the place now. It's amazing how fast things can change.

I tried the iPhone 4. Couldn't stand it. The build quality was top notch, but iOS is way too limiting and restricting. It felt claustrophobic. Everything is clunky - way too many clicks to enable and disable WiFi, for example. The simplicity and sheer flexibility of Android just works for me.

You are right. Some things are quite buried compared to being able to put things on a home screen with a widget. However, I suspect that as time goes on the differences between these two platforms will become less and less.

euvnairb
Aug 8, 2011, 03:10 PM

Is google not in CA anymore?

mrxak
Aug 8, 2011, 07:16 PM
I live in Blackberry country, apparently. Struck me as odd until I realized, oh yeah, Wall Street. It also makes sense that Blackberry dominates in the D.C area.

Blackberry was Old Smartphone, and the only people who had smartphones prior to the iPhone coming along were government and business types. By interia, they've stayed with Blackberry for the most part.

I have no idea what's going on in the Dakotas, Oregon, or Kansas. Probably a carrier thing.

Savor
Aug 9, 2011, 12:06 AM
I used to live in Colorado and visited them just two years ago. T-Mobile is big with my high school friends over there, so I am not shocked Android is beloved there. More price conscious people over in the CO Springs.

I am surprised Android dominates Apple and Google''s homestate. I see more iPhones users in CA than in any other state. In SoCal, they are extremely common everywhere I go. Moreso than RAZR during its heyday.

I actually do miss the one-handed operation of phones. Now phones are getting bigger and we have to use two hands. At least BlackBerry keeps that one handed operation alive. I am using a Pixi Plus as a backup and it made me miss that style. iPhones and many of the Androids are just too bulky and wide.

markie
Aug 29, 2011, 10:27 AM
Correct. It was due to Alltel being sold to AT&T (instead of Verizon) that AT&T finally had an official presence within Montana. Ironically, an AT&T commercial from 2009 claimed to support Bozeman, MT!

That claim was based on roaming partner coverage, as was the entire ad. Given AT&T's strict 40%/750 minutes 20%/24MB data 50%/3000 SMS roaming restriction, I think it's quite unreasonable to count roaming as coverage. It's more emergency use areas...

The worst thing, there's no way on the iPhone or other AT&T phones to set them to "home only" to keep them from roaming.

nburwell
Aug 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
Even though I see a lot of iPhone's being used around the greater Philadelphia area, I alway see much more Android phones being used when I'm out at the mall, bars/restaurants, sporting events, etc.

aoifeee
Aug 31, 2011, 06:26 AM
Can't say this map matches my experience.