PDA

View Full Version : scrolling slightly smoother on i5 vs i7 in safari

hefeglass
Aug 5, 2011, 03:53 PM
so, i originally bought the 13in i5 128...i loved everything about it but i decided i wanted to pick up the 256gb version, and while I was in the store, i decided to go with the i7 version since it was only slightly more.
when i brought the i7 home, i transferred everything from a time machine backup (same as I had done with my i5)..
after a couple days of use i noticed that when using safari and browsing a site with a decent amount of text and graphics (engadget.com in particular), when i would do the 2 finger double tap to fill the entire screen with content, scrolling became ever so slightly choppy. I didn't seem to remember it happening on the i5, but i figured it was something I just didn't notice previously.

so, after a few days with the i7, not only did i find that it got quite hot when using apps like zbrush and sculptris, but there was no speed increase to be seen. I decided that i didn't want to spend an extra $100 for heat and slightly less battery life (and apple made the mistake of emailing me about the tax free weekend)...so I just got home from exchanging my i7 for a i5 with the 256gb hard drive.
after transferring all of my stuff from time machine once again, I decided to try out engadget zoomed full screen and full width....the choppiness isn't there. I am curious if its some strange coincidence that the i5 seems smoother than the i7?
ALSO, when i tried doing the mosaic screen saver maxed out rows and speed with a huge iPhoto library, it would crash almost immediately on the i7...i eventually gave up. Decided to try it with the i5 and its running great.

the better speed increase would be upgrading from the 128gb drive to the 256...every 256 I have seen has been a samsung so far..

CaliforniaKing
Aug 5, 2011, 03:54 PM
use Firefox!

KPOM
Aug 5, 2011, 04:04 PM
It's probably something software related since the i7 certainly shouldn't be slower. Did you use Migration Assistant? It's been known to be a little shaky in Lion, so maybe it messed something up on your i7 but didn't on your i5.

hefeglass
Aug 5, 2011, 06:19 PM
well, it did it on the i7 and on neither of the i5s...
..?