Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nick05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Florida
I was planning on buying a 15" MacBook Pro with dedicated graphics. I felt the extra power of the quad-core and dedicated graphics would be useful as I do a lot of photo editing and video editing. All my editing is currently done on a desktop with two monitors. Now I am thinking that the MBA might be the better choice for portability as I can still use the desktop when I'm at home. Has anyone here done any editing with LightRoom 3 and Nik Software Viveza 2 and Silver Effects Pro on an 2011 MBA? Does the 11" have enough screen real-estate to do editing or will the 13" be that much better? Also, is it possible to connect my two external monitors to the air or just one with the built in screen? I am curious in case I decide to replace my desktop with it.

qwerf123

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2011
UK
Get the MBP!

I would not really consider the MBA for what you want as it won't be very practical for your needs.

From what I've read, you can't use more than one displays with the MBA due to the different thunderbolt chip Apple have implemented.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I have both and about the only thing I dislike about the MBP is how hot it gets. Other than that it's a personal choice.

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
Don't get the air if you are going to edit photos as its gamut and calibration aren't good enough and you will likely run into output issues. Especially if diehard portability isn't needed then the pro will be better suited to your needs.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Don't get the air if you are going to edit photos as its gamut and calibration aren't good enough and you will likely run into output issues. Especially if diehard portability isn't needed then the pro will be better suited to your needs.
I agree. I have both a 2011 MBA and 2011 MBP and there's no comparing the power of my base 15" to this loaded MBA 13". Dual monitors on the MBA isn't possible either, afaik.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
I just got an Air and I love it but I do my photo editing, video conversion, and media library management on my 27" iMac. Not sure I'd want an Air as my ONLY machine.

Nick05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Florida
I've heard people complaining about some of the LCD panels. Color calibration is extremely important to me so this Is very interesting. I was really liking the idea of something as portable as an iPad for traveling. :(

Dominus Mortem

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I've heard people complaining about some of the LCD panels. Color calibration is extremely important to me so this Is very interesting. I was really liking the idea of something as portable as an iPad for traveling. :(

The air can only do 45% of the adobe gamut and always wants to calibrate to cool colors... It just isn't quite up to doing color accurate brochure, photo and video work unless you are attaching a wider gamut external monitor to it. The pros at least can get close to 77% of adobe rgb. It's hard to see this just browsing pics tho.

Nick05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Florida
The air can only do 45% of the adobe gamut and always wants to calibrate to cool colors... It just isn't quite up to doing color accurate brochure, photo and video work unless you are attaching a wider gamut external monitor to it. The pros at least can get close to 77% of adobe rgb. It's hard to see this just browsing pics tho.
Since color reproduction is the most important to me, can I find this data online? I'd like to compare the mpr line and iMac line. Thanks.

Nick05

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Florida
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I really appreciate it. I had started to think the air would have been a great choice for traveling but it looks like the pro will be the computer for me. Special thanks to Dominus Mortem for pointing out the screen differences as that is most important.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
My rule is:

If your not taking Airlines, or lugging it around classes, and your need power, best to get the 15"

Otherwise, get the Air.

Todays Airs can handle just about anything. But the 15" screen is an improvement, and hard drive expandability is really desirable.

Note: Even the 13" screen (forget the 11) is cramped compared to the 15. If you need screen, it's a mistake to buy something 'with a small screen' ;)

SickSix

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Austin
I love my 13" Air but if I wanted more raw power, Id go for the 15" pro.

Id sacrifice the weight and form factor for the muscle. I just felt for my needs though, the Air is definitely for my usage/needs and it handles all I throw at her. The desired Air would have given me the 8GB RAM but I am satisfied. If the next Pro line slims down with the same ability, then Ill trade up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.